need advice for scratch building bmp-2...

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
zhukov
Corporal
Corporal

need advice for scratch building bmp-2...

Post by zhukov » Wed May 20, 2009 5:21 pm

i am about to build a bmp-2 from the ground up pretty much...

ill use tracks from somewhere though..probably 1:35 scale kit. the rest i will build from styrene board. and modelling acessories for detail.

i really need to find schematics of the bmp-2 to scale, from above and the sides and rear....and i just cant find them. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreaciated too..

another key concern is is also the turret, which will be made from two circles cut from styrene, then attached to one another with thin styrene sheet. the gun mechanism, im still working out the details for.

does anyone have any suggestions for sources of detail parts, or perhaps the how to attach said turret...please let me know. any advice is very welcome!

a pic of a bmp-2 on the net (in the foreground):

http://www.armyrecognition.com/Russe/VT ... sia_01.jpg

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:55 pm

Use a paper card model. Resize it and use it as a template for styrene. I have a few models I want to do like this but I just procrastinate till nothing gets done.

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

kits

Post by thehun » Wed May 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Is there a web site or a link to where these paper card model's can be bought??

zhukov
Corporal
Corporal

Post by zhukov » Wed May 20, 2009 9:27 pm

thanks for the idea popeye357!!

ok, so i have bought the card model versions online now. i bought the only bmp 2 version there is, the bwp 2e. i cant link to it from where i got it, as it is no longer up...must have been the last one. it is exactly like this one:

http://www.papermodels.pl/topics14/bwp- ... vt1561.htm

and i also got the btr:
http://www.papermodelstore.com/product_ ... cts_id=950

i also found a conversion table for photocopying from one scale to another, here:

http://www.mksmc.co.uk/hintsandtips/scales.htm

both are 1:25 scale.

so now i have to wait for the parts and the models to arrive....

i also noticed they make accessory packs for 1:25 scale card models, like running gear and barrels. there are also laser cut track links for a 1:16 scale panzer III, and on another site there was a 1:16 scale le fh18.

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:41 am

Cool man!! That BWP looks great, I can imagine it painted up wouls look 10 times better. I should have posted the site when I last posted, but the only good one I know, you already have up. Its the paper model store, they guy is great to deal with and he has more 1/16 stuff available, you just have to email him and youll get a list.

Black_Dragon_One
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Tue May 26, 2009 12:10 am

popeye357 wrote:Cool man!! That BWP looks great, I can imagine it painted up wouls look 10 times better. I should have posted the site when I last posted, but the only good one I know, you already have up. Its the paper model store, they guy is great to deal with and he has more 1/16 stuff available, you just have to email him and youll get a list.

like what? is there a su 27
whats up doc....

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Tue May 26, 2009 3:00 pm

No BD1, he has mostly Armor models, he has planes but I haventseen anythin in 1/16 or 1/18.