Custom painted 1:18 Aircraft TKO UPDATED 1/02 F-14 Vandy 1

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks guys...but I didn't intend to hijack TKO's thread...just an interlude while he gets his camera warmed up.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Sabrefan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:30 pm

Very nice Folkwulfe! Thanks for those pictures. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:31 pm

Dang, I can't touch the model? :(
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:40 pm

Folkwulfe wrote:Thanks guys...but I didn't intend to hijack TKO's thread...just an interlude while he gets his camera warmed up.
I can hardly blame you of any hijacking! You get the credit for being the one to help me with the FW-190D-9 gear, and also sold me one of your f-16s (at a great price I might add)... Everyone here will get to see what that plane will turn out to be (even if you already know the scheme I intend to do.) LOL

Your F-86 is very cool. I like the bombs for sure! paint looks really good too!

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:50 pm

Coreyeagle48 wrote:TKO

You know I've got a plain jane F-16 here that is screaming to be turned into an Israeli Scorpoin one.

If you ever decide to do these for people surely let me know, I'd love something like that. You're work is great! I'm not that great at painting to even attempt something like that.

Corey
Thanks for kind comments. I still feel like they can be better... I am a tough critic especially of my own work (this is one reason why I HATE my Ohka project).

The Scorpion Squadron was a very fun one to paint. I think I enjoyed doing that one the most so far. In person it is a beautiful scheme and takes the Viper to a new level. It's inspired another F-16 scheme that I fully intend to see painted in beautiful 1:18 scale. I think people will really like it when they see it.

As for doing another IAF Scorpion... I might consider doing it again as it was such a fun and rewarding scheme to see completed. (for you I might have to do a different number plane from the squadron so they can be wing men and be a little unique in that regard). Let me think on it. I need to get over my OHKA blues and get energy to do more projects. I am going to finish and perhaps sell the OHKA just to purge my system of the hell that this project has become. LOL It's been a bum project in a major way for me. I have lost almost all interest. :evil:

tko211

Post by tko211 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:06 pm

After a long vacation from my custom projects I am ready to get back in the saddle! Last night I spent about 6 hours on a new F-16 scheme. It's looking great so far. All it needs now is some final vinyl mask markings to be complete.

I do still have that Zero that is awaiting it's national markings on the wings and then it's ready to be photographed.

And I have finished the Fw-190D-9. Photos of that one will be taken this week (hopefully along with the Zero and the F-16!) I have to give credit to a fellow forum member for assisting me on the F-16 and Fw-190 projects as he helped to supply the Viper and the replacement gear for the 190. Full credit given when I show off the final planes.

Check back soon for pics.

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:53 pm

Can't wait. I always look forward to your customs.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Cool can't wait to see them. 8)
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:23 pm

Can't wait!!
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:48 am

Amazing work TKO and can't wait to see what's coming down the pipe :)

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:41 pm

Back finally! I have 5-6 more custom planes finished or very nearly finished and ready to share with everyone. Here is a retake on the German F-104 Marinefleiger Starfighter. I wanted to make a German ship using the splinter camo pattern. However I also wanted to be a little creative on this one and decided to take some artistic license on the Fuel wing tip tanks by incorporating the German flag. I did enough research (not much to be honest) to determine that this ship would come from the 1st MFG group. whereas the original Grey scheme is from the 2nd MFG group (note the shield on the tail). This was a SUPER SUPER easy repaint and took more masking tape than time! 2 rolls of tape and only about 2 hours to finish the bird! You can love or hate this one... It's not historical but I really wanted to make it since it appears there will not be a Bavaria scheme now. Enjoy!

tko211

Post by tko211 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:49 am

Nine-0,

The Vinyl mask thing is totally dead in the water for the short term. My sisters vinyl plotter broke and she is not planning to replace or fix it. I am not seriously considering buying one myself. This is one of the reasons why I have been soooo slow on my customs here.

But yeah I am going to solve this problem very soon myself. Then I am sure I can cut you some stuff. Meanwhile I am also contemplating uploading my .eps vector files for all my aircraft up to a website that anyone can access for free so that they can take them to their own vinyl cut place to have stencils made.

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:48 am

That would be awesome!!!!!!!!

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:25 pm

Really great looking custom. The splinter camo really makes the F-104 look different. As for the liberty taken with the wing tanks, I like it. I did something similar on one of my F-104 repaints. I painted them red with blue and white fins to match the Canadian insignia on the wing.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Here is my custom painted FW-190D-9. There really aren't too many choices for the Dora's but the red tail bands and the signature "Christl" painted on the fuse was too much to resist. This was one of the many different aircraft flown by Barkhorn which included the 109, Fw-190A and 262. really he is an interesting pilot to learn about. I was then inspired to ditch the standard issue pilot figure and came up with this nice custom using a simple head swap, custom painted officer cap and a smoke in his hand. This was really a simple custom to pull off, the long delay on this one was the broken landing gear that I had to replace. Then it just sat there for months waiting for me to bring out the camera. So here you go! Enjoy-

Barkhorn joined the Luftwaffe in 1937 and completed his training in 1939. Barkhorn flew his first combat missions in May 1940, during the Battle of France and then the Battle of Britain without scoring a kill. Barkhorn scored his first victory in July 1941 and steadily built his personal score over the years against Soviet opposition. In March 1944 he was awarded the third highest award in the Wehrmacht when he received Knight's Cross, Oak Leaves and Swords for his 250 victory. Despite being the second highest scoring pilot in aviation history, Barkhorn was not awarded the Diamonds the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords after achieving his 300 victory on 5 January 1945. Less than two weeks later he left JG 52 on the Eastern Front and joined Jagdgeschwader 3, defending Germany from Western Allied air attack.

He led the Geschwader until the 10 April 1945 but failed to add to his score. Barkhorn joined the all Jet fighter unit JV 44. On 21 April 1945 was injured when he crashed his Messerschmitt Me 262 after engine failure. To compound his problems he was also straffed by United States Army Air Force P-51 Mustang fighters. As he escaped his fighter the cockpit canopy slammed shut on his head. Barkhorn survived and was made a prisoner of war of the Western Allies in May 1945 and was released later that year. After the war Barkhorn joined the Bundesluftwaffe and retired in 1976. On 6 January 1983 Barkhorn was involved in a car accident with his wife Christl. Christl died instantly and Gerhard died two days later on 8 January 1983.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Pics I have been waiting for and i am not disappointed! TKO, you did another fine job on this one! :D :D :D :D
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:22 pm

She is a beut.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Great Job, TKO!
WOW! :shock:
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Very nice work. Cool plane!

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:57 am

Another fine work TKO. Love the smoke in his hand.

Never understood why 21st didn't do 190A's. There are so many more paint schemes available for the A models.
I fly cartoon airplanes

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:06 pm

About time....and well worth the wait. As a sidelight on Barkhorn, after joining the Bundesluftwaffe he was selected to lead the West German group evaluating a British aircraft for German use. The evaluation group was made up of German, British, and American pilots evaluating the service suitability of...the Harrier jump jet. During evaluation flights, Barkhorn crashed a Harrier when he descended too quickly and belly-flop the bird. The landing gear punctured fuel tanks and the aircraft started to burn with Barkhorn still strapped inside. Early Harriers did not have zero-zero ejection seats...so that option was out. A British airplane grounds crewman ran up to the aircraft and help Barkhorn escape the fire. As they waited for crash crews to extinguish the flames, Barkhorn turned to his savior and proclaimed "That's 302 Allied aircraft I've destroyed!!!" At least the man had a working funny bone after that crash! Beatiful creation there TKO....and a fitting tribute to a remarkable pilot.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:46 pm

That's a cool story about the pilot.

Nice paint as always TKO!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

kevrut