The Train (Armoured)

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

The Train (Armoured)

Post by General Blasto » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:08 pm

First off, this will be a looong thread and it will take some time to really get a start (due to our wedding coming up next month), but I think that this is a good project to bring my military modeling hobby together with my G scale train hobby. So where do you start when modeling an Armoured train ??? Well why not start at the front and work backwards ;) So I have offically started with the lead car that is in front of the locomotive. Typically, an armoured consist could vary, but I will start off with a AA /AT front end car, the armour plated loco, armour plated tender, a armour plated command car and the end car which would be another armoured plated AA/AT car.

So I've started on the lead car. An AA / AT type car would usually have a cannon in the front and a AA type gun such as a flak gun of some type in the back of the car with a control housing in the middle. The entire car should be armour plated for crew safety. The car I am patterning my car after will be like the one on the movie "The Train". I have done or am still working on the cannon housing on the cannon using a Pk40 75mm unit with a shortened barrel. I believe the, or most of the prototypes used a 50mm cannon. But due to the lack of cannons in 1/18th, I stuck with the Pk40. For the other half(back side) of the turret, I will be using a modified rear section of a Pz IV turret. Now the pictures I have are the "In progress" pictures. I don't get much time to work on it for now until the end of April, then work should accelerate. The most unique thing I found is that the front end of the armour looks like the hood area of the SDkfz 251 of which I cut one up just for that reason :twisted: Don't worry, the rest will be rebuilt into a Maurader III tank :P Ok here the few pictures I have for tonight after playin' with the idea I had.

Now earlier I had played with the idea of using PH's quad gun, but it will be quite a challange to make it work due to the differences in scales wit hthe 1/18th and the trains 1/22nd. Yet I WILL make it work.

Now I'm just trying to figure out what will work where, but I think the ideas are off to a good start 8) Stay tuned for more updates !!!

Da General

kevrut
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by kevrut » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:32 am

Great start. :)

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:48 pm

Man that is a lot of stuff. :shock: :D :D

That flak gun looks right at home on that train. :wink:

That is a monster train collection. It is totally cool. :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks PH 8)
The only problem is I keep running out of room :( I think my walkway is down to under 17". A tight squeeze :shock: I am trying right now to tack on another 1x6 to gain a bit of room by my chair to put my 88 and a searchlight. The power screwdriver ran out of juice, so I can't drill holes to wire up the signals and lights, but there's always something to do :? Perhaps I need to use the step stool and lean over the table to get to the back so I can pour in the brown scale gravel for the road behind tyhe rail yard. Yep, so much to do :o Or I can put troops in the passenger cars. Oh well.

Da General