Is this from one of our members?

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Is this from one of our members?

Post by hotrodrock » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:48 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-18-1-16-Ultimate- ... dZViewItem

Where can I find photos of the zimmerit that is on that tank, at least I assume that its zimmerit. I have looked and looked and can't find that pattern.

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 am

From the way he describes it, he sounds like the guy who has been doing all the customs that aren't quite as accurate as he makes them out to be.

And I can't find an example of that zim pattern either.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:43 am

That is the notorious Luft expert. That is one crazy whacked zimmerit pattern. Tiles ? They did not put tiles on those tanks.

He aslo puts squiggly lines on almost all of his stuff. AND HE SELLS THEM. :shock:

He had a winter Shermy last week that did not sell.
HE HAD A PRICE OF $450 FOR IT. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

CENT-ONE
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CENT-ONE » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:06 am

pickelhaube wrote: That is one crazy whacked zimmerit pattern. Tiles ? They did not put tiles on those tanks.
but,but,but..... I thought you said to use tile mastic for the zimmerit detail!!! Obviously if you're using the mastic then you've got to lay some tile on top of it... :P :wink:
Good Trader List
-Digger -Razor -Mowmaw -Flayrah -ThreeToughTrucks -jlspec -KWR190 -CW4USARMY -vmf214 -bravo5 -holensock -cranedriver -billgiff -Rowsdower -tparkhere

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:15 am

CENT-ONE wrote:
pickelhaube wrote: That is one crazy whacked zimmerit pattern. Tiles ? They did not put tiles on those tanks.
but,but,but..... I thought you said to use tile mastic for the zimmerit detail!!! Obviously if you're using the mastic then you've got to lay some tile on top of it... :P :wink:

YIKES !!!!!!!

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:20 am

I swear I saw a tile pattern before, but for the life of me I can't remember where.
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:40 am

I thought that looked kinda strange for a zimmerit pattern. This guy builds nice customs however, even though some of them may not be historically accurate.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:03 pm

immeww2 wrote:I thought that looked kinda strange for a zimmerit pattern. This guy builds nice customs however, even though some of them may not be historically accurate.

:?:

CENT-ONE
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CENT-ONE » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:10 pm

Light.Inf.Scout wrote:I swear I saw a tile pattern before, but for the life of me I can't remember where.
it felt familiar to me too but I'm pretty sure it just reminds me of the way Explosive Reactive Armor looks on this T72

Good Trader List
-Digger -Razor -Mowmaw -Flayrah -ThreeToughTrucks -jlspec -KWR190 -CW4USARMY -vmf214 -bravo5 -holensock -cranedriver -billgiff -Rowsdower -tparkhere

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:22 pm

Not much of a tank commander. He parked his tank next to lit street lights. Not very wise in a war zone.
I fly cartoon airplanes

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

tank

Post by thehun » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:25 pm

Yep, She's a Doozie :shock:

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:48 pm

I have never seen nor heard of reactive armor fitted to German WW2 tanks before. The normal zimmeret pattern seen most often is a paste applied to the armor and given a rough texture to stop magnetic anti-tank bombs from sticking to the hull or turrent......or do I have that wrong???
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:00 pm

Pattern is authentic. The zimmerit job on that model is just horrible. Sloppy and overdone.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Very expensive for two street lights !

phil

olifant

Post by olifant » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Is it just me or does that Panzer commander have some big, Mickey Mouse-like hands?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:18 pm

olifant wrote:Is it just me or does that Panzer commander have some big, Mickey Mouse-like hands?
- Dear panzer commander, why your hands are so big ?

- It'z vor better spanking ze yankees und tommies my child !

:lol:

phil

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:40 pm

exether_mega wrote:
olifant wrote:Is it just me or does that Panzer commander have some big, Mickey Mouse-like hands?
- Dear panzer commander, why your hands are so big ?

- It'z vor better spanking ze yankees und tommies my child !

:lol:

phil
Spanking the monkey ?

Ahhhhhhh... What did you say ?

Sorry guys I will stop. :oops:

SolidSnakeEyes
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by SolidSnakeEyes » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:06 pm

Zimmerit did come in a pattern like that -- and came in several variations in fact -- but, it wasn't really that, "tile-ish."

http://www.panzerworld.net/zimmerit

If you scroll down, you'll see a black and white thumbnail of Zimmerit patterns.
I looked at the trap, Ray.

-- Dr. Egon Spengler

Rogue 01
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rogue 01 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:30 pm

It looks like my bath room
Never Under estimate the power Of the Force

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:13 pm

There's so many things wrong with this tank that's supposed to be made by an "expert" in WWII, it's not even funny.

Well, kinda funny. The way he did zimmerit was...inventive, but I have no idea why he would go through the trouble of cutting little square blocks and paste them one by one when there's easier methods to do zimmerit...and the result would look better.

Markings are all fictitional. The "monkey" he was referring to was the gnome emblem of the 8th Tiger Company called, the Springender Teufel. Only Tigers of that company carried this emblem.

The two bars-symbol is again, a tactical marking of the unit during the battle of Kursk. No Panther was ever given this symbol. And besides, it was placed on that tank upside-down.

And the tactical number S22 Is another fictitious number. S stands for schwere. As in Heavy. Only Tigers were marked with the S tactical numbers.

And I don't even want to know WHY this person would hang Teller mines on the side and rear of the turret of this Panther.

The reason why zimmerit was placed on German armor was because they don't want magnetic anti-tank mines be slapped on the sides of their tanks.

Hanging HUGE anti-tank mines on the vulnerable side armor kind of defeats the purpose of the zimmerit. I don't know. Maybe the tank commander was just retarded.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:14 pm

GooglyDoogly wrote:
And I don't even want to know WHY this person would hang Teller mines on the side and rear of the turret of this Panther.

The reason why zimmerit was placed on German armor was because they don't want magnetic anti-tank mines be slapped on the sides of their tanks.

Hanging HUGE anti-tank mines on the vulnerable side armor kind of defeats the purpose of the zimmerit. I don't know. Maybe the tank commander was just retarded.

HE IS SOOOO GOOD HE'S MAKING IT A LITTLE MORE FAIR WITH THE MINE OR MICROSOFT WILL BAN HIS
ACCOUNT :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:34 am

I would like to know where he got the arch patterned cobblestone street section the tank is sitting on though, properly weathered it would be great for dioramas. :idea:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:58 am

GooglyDoogly wrote:Pattern is authentic. The zimmerit job on that model is just horrible. Sloppy and overdone.
Agreed, He had the right idea, but didn't know how to apply it. The square tile look wasn't individual tiles, but the paste applied to the surface then divided into squares with a pattern tool.

Talk about tools...... :?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:30 am

I agree. After looking at it awhile, I think I know what he was trying to do, he just over did the cuts and made them to deep.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:07 am

hotrodrock wrote:I agree. After looking at it awhile, I think I know what he was trying to do, he just over did the cuts and made them to deep.
It looks to me like he cut individual tiles and applied them?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark