My first 1:18 re-paint 21st C. Tiger I

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Cabe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

My first 1:18 re-paint 21st C. Tiger I

Post by Cabe » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:59 am

I need to take some pics in outdoor light, these have too much green in them. The colors are much more earthen.
I should have had this done a long time ago, but dang so much work to do.
was a 21st C. all gray Tiger I that I bought like 8 years or so ago at TRU, i think it looks a bit better now
I am going to put this on ebay in a few days but I will put it in the BST forum here for a few days first, I hate to let it go
especially since finding 1:18 tiger is impossible and its my first 1:18

click thumbs to enlarge
see my art and model gallery at http://www.cabebooth.com

Skauser
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Skauser » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:29 am

Honestly , now you're just showing off 8) . Great work ...must learn how to use an airbrush myself.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EKoPLt_coFI see if you can spot me

Light.Inf.Scout
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:31 am

WOW - that is pretty sweet! :D
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

Cabe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Cabe » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:39 am

well i had to go backwards more than once and was timid about everything i did until decided enough was enough and stopped.

there are some great books out on weathering by Auriga that I pan on getting, from what I see it is more thorough (and it is like 6 volumes long, bu each is short) that even the FAQ book.

but thanks guys for the compliments

i need o get an outdoor shoot done.

Skauser
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Skauser » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:45 am

What did you use for the ariels?.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EKoPLt_coFI see if you can spot me

Cabe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Cabe » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:32 am

At hobbytown (or most hobby shops) you can find a section that has the styrene sheets and balsa wood planks and blocks. It also has metal sheets and other basic building materials. It is usually in train track building area of the hobby store, where you would buy materials for laying track and building dioramas or such. In my Hobbytown where I bought it, it was in the area with all of that.
But there should be many different guages of wire sold in bundle about 2 or 3 feet long. I think each bundle has 6 lengths of wire all the same guage,. I bought 2 bundles (they have a label wrapped around them with bar code to keep them all together. I bought a thicker somewhat inflexible gage for building and aerials for any 1:18th dtuff I might build and a very thin gage for my 1:32 re-paints.
I don't know for sure if every hobby store has it but I would think so

I merely yanked out the cheap o plastic ones that were in the tank, used my cordless dremel stylus and a very small bit to make a hole, but on both i ended up filling the aerial's base hole with model putty and then using the wire to push a perfect fit hole in that and allowed it to dry, then i used some of that hobby store ultra super glue to place them. I also hit them with chaos black primer in spray form, trying to paint primer on caused it to clump up on that metal, then i hit it with NATO black tamiya paint, which is a very dark gray

Der Kommandant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Der Kommandant » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:03 pm

What unit does it belong to?
Nice work by the way.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:36 pm

Hello Cabe,
The paint job looks cool. But shouldn't that paint scheme be on a Tiger II ? If I am wrong I apologise. I am too far away from my books to look and see. Again it is cool looking and you did a great job on it.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:20 pm

It looks great, Cabe. Very nice work. I like the scheme alot. You ought to keep it since it's your first Tiger repaint.

Cabe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Cabe » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:34 pm

I just emailed the guy
who did the mod of an extremely great and detailed ww2 turn based battle sim game "combat mission"
I saw this profile on a tank in the past 2 years and was surprised that it was on an early war tiger (well early as 42 0r 43 anyway, an early tiger)

here is a link to the mod, and BTW if you ever need details of a camo mode further than just a one sided view, download the mods from this website and unzip them, the mod has the tank and markings from all angle to wrap around the polygons in game, so basically you get every angle in separate Jpegs
you will probably have ot register but no worries its a clean site with no real use of your email except if you forget you password, its just a holding place for mods not a forum.
Last edited by Cabe on Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cabe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Cabe » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:45 am

well, that's the sticking point. I have a confluence of monetary matters descending on me. I am currently dead in he water with my career as I just took on my first art agent ever and he is renegotiating my deals with all my clients, so I have yet to know how many clients I will lose or keep and even then how much more $ I will be making or will the ones that leave balance out the pay of the ones who stay and keep my income the same? Or will I lose all of them and be super effed for a few weeks?I also have to move this month because by the end of next month my first child is due, my future in laws and my fiancé want to be in a new home by due date.
but i cannot choose a new rent home because i don't want to get locked into a lease I cannot afford after client negotiations, nor do I want to settle for some crappy hut when I could have had a sweet pad if my agent does his job and hits the right buttons.
so
all my income is tied up in negotiations. I have no savings because of back taxes that will soon be paid off, I need to have rent by the 5th, 500 to the IRS by the 15th still some bills form last month which will become pink slip in a few weeks, the cost of keeping her insured for her and the baby, my car insurance is due soon and I already paid my Texes heat 360 dollar electric bill. 500 to a co-pay 500 to IRS for last month 242 for her insurance 125 to phone and her birthday was this past weekend. Oh and she is eating everything as long as we don't have it here, she needs stuff brought home while what I did buy bores her appetite after a few days...and ....well.. you know.
right now (though I feel it when i think of selling the tank) is not the time to become sentimental over a toy tank....sorry I had to reduce it to such unflattering terms.
it is now on ebay with a $200 buy it now which with take care of 1/10th of my problems unless my agent calls me with news that at least says I can start painting for income no matter what that income is. But that $200 (if I get it) will be in the bank to deflect the first threat that comes our way like a possible overdraft or angry utilities bill collector, even though I am not more than a month behind on any bill, they have a short temper these days for some reason.

so I might have a lot of free time to paint tanks. I just hope some day I can get another tiger tank and do another paint like this, next up I have a sherman and I am interested in what I can pull of with it. First I have to finish my current commission from gearbox software, they hired me to do paintings for their Brother's in Arm's Hell's Highway release party on the 5th, which I should get the remainder of that pay that night

sheesh, I need a rest.

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:02 am

Very nicely done cabe! :D
[img88]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s281/army5551/160392_1114600356-1.jpg[/img88]

Cabe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Cabe » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:29 am

Tank you!

MG40K
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MG40K » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:57 pm

Amazingly wonderful! :)
[img]http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/MG40K/M1A1-Bagdad-RunningOver.jpg[/img]

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:00 pm

It looks very nice Cabe, great job. 8) I don't know if you have any ideas about selling more like this, but high quality customs have gone for big bucks on ebay in the past. Considering what some so-called "customs" have fetched, I would think one like your Tiger should do quite well. Just a thought if raising more money is important to you at this point in time. Nice work in any case... 8)
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"