Diorama base(s)

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Diorama base(s)

Post by Ruger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:33 pm

I thought I'd share a bit of something I do.

I started out doing this more or less by accident. I wanted to try out some ideas, so I bought some posterboard and started playing around. I liked what I saw, so I kept at it. So basically what I have are some 20" by 30" bases on which I can arrange whatever I want to.

Since I like to rearrange often, I prefer to leave the bases rather "blank", so I can dress them up to suit my needs on any given day. I tried to make the coloring in such a way that I could match any one side of any one base to any same sized side of any other base. I semi-suceeded in that, but it's close enough that it's unlikely that anyone will ever notice.

Here are some pics of one:

Overall, I'm pretty happy with them. They're cheap, easy, allow me to change things around, and since they're all somewhat expirimental, I can try out any ideas without risking too much should I mess things up. The downsides are that posterboard isn't all that strong, so they need solid support underneath. Also, they can warp (statically, they never actually travel faster than lightspeed), though placements of tanks on them usually smoothes things right back out. I'll try to take some pics of a more interesting one, but this one does well to illustrate the idea of a "blank" that can be used for any number of things. Feel free to share ideas you have that I can use to improve upon my idea, I'm still a bit shy of building an actual wooden shelf to landscape, so these will have to make due for the time being.

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

kevrut
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by kevrut » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:36 pm

That's pretty cool. 8)

Skauser
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Skauser » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:29 pm

Nice 8)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EKoPLt_coFI see if you can spot me

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:03 am

Hey that looks really nice... 8) It captures a DAK (or any desert for that matter) look very well I think. Great work, when are you going to start offering some for sale..?? :D BTW, I recognize the dried moss, but where'd you get (or how did you make) those rock formations...?? They look great.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:07 am

They look nice!
[img88]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s281/army5551/160392_1114600356-1.jpg[/img88]