Re-painting figures?

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
MilitaryMike23
Corporal
Corporal

Re-painting figures?

Post by MilitaryMike23 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:40 am

i want to try and repaint the USMC figures to fit my ETO figures because i need more riflemen ... i have never repainted XD, im looking for advice and pics of anyone has, much help is greatly appreciated, ... thanks in advance

MilitaryMike23
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MilitaryMike23 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:43 am

bump :)

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:42 am

ETO?
Do you have any ref. Pics?

MilitaryMike23
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MilitaryMike23 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:25 am

European Theatre of Operations ... like 29th ID big red 1 ,,, 4th ID

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:33 am

Fritz is the man when it comes to painting XD!!!

MilitaryMike23
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MilitaryMike23 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:17 pm

are there any tips or suggestions of what paints i shud use ... how to's or anything really? i basically wana turn a PTO figure into a ETO figure

Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Jesse James » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:48 pm

I have to whore this because I'm involved with the site but www.FFURG.com is a Star Wars customizing site... Everything there would translate pretty seamlessly to XD customizing though, so have at it.

Basically for paints, anything that cleans up with water (water based acrylics)... If your paint requires thinner to clean up, or you see that it's "oil based" enamels, avoid it. Testors model paint (plain stuff) is oil based... They have an acrylic line too, but I'm not fond of the durability of Testors paints. Oil based paints react poorly with plastic types used on XD figures.

XD figures (and FOV, etc.) are mostly comprised of polyvinyl or PVC plastic parts, and PVC's a plastic type that doesn't react well to all types of glues, plastic welders, epoxies, or paints. Rigid ABS or "styrene" is more tolerant of various paints and things.

Head to your local hobby shop, and look the paints over... If they're worth anything they likely have good stocked racks for Tamiya, "Games Work Shop" paints, Polly S, and Testors... Polly S is some good stuff, as is Tamiya, though Tamiya you have to thin down as it's a bit thick. Mix it with water to thin it down or buy their thinner if you wish.

Do your painting in thin layers... don't just try to get it done quickly. Painting, good painting, should take time, and coats.

Look over customs and get ideas of techniques to do detail like eyes (considered pretty tough by most), shading, "dry brushing", "washes", etc. You'll see the more you look at figures how a customizer's technique brings out detail and things. From there you may get into making your own water-transfer decals and things, or whatnot. It's all baby steps though.

For SW figures I started out doing really simplistic headswaps and very tiny repaints. I moved up to droid repaints because, as Hasbro's shown us, you can never repaint an R2-D2 figure enough. That taught a lot of hand control with the brush, and forced me to innovate ways to paint straighter (masking, using templates, etc.). From there I moved on to more and more complex stuff... I haven't done much customizing with the military lines, and honestly I don't even do much SW stuff these days because of time and money, but I'm always stocking up on fodder for when the time is right. ;)
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

MilitaryMike23
Corporal
Corporal

v

Post by MilitaryMike23 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:00 am

thank you very much!

Panzer_M

Re: ...

Post by Panzer_M » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:53 am

MilitaryMike23 wrote:are there any tips or suggestions of what paints i shud use ... how to's or anything really? i basically wana turn a PTO figure into a ETO figure
Tamiya
Vallejo(Flesh colors, camos and blacks are better than Tamiya)

also these two are good esp for figures.
PollyScale
Andrea
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:59 am

and Osprey's Men at Arms series also has a good title(plus color plates you can use for doing uniforms)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1841760 ... eader-link
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

MilitaryMike23
Corporal
Corporal

t

Post by MilitaryMike23 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:38 pm

thanks i do appreciate all the help