How to get ahead in life.

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

How to get ahead in life.

Post by flpickupman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:15 am

Well folks. Here they are. I finally managed to scrounge up some more heads. Just one left to swap.

While we're at it, here are a few shots of my DAK PaK 40.

Enjoy.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Nice figures

Post by General Blasto » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:51 am

Does it ever make you feel like Dr. Frankenstien to do all this swapping of body parts ??? Sometimes I do. It's the only way to develop more figures to fill up army and then, when you run out of new faces, you can injuire or scar them slightly to make them look even more different. This I have yet to employ more, only did it to just a handful of guys. The nice thing about 21st is that they give you extra parts to do this. I think if we had more different heads would be nicer. I also found out that some of the heads will not fit into some of the caps or helmets, thus making it more than a challange to do so. Then the really fun. I took one of the German field hats(that has a visor, but not the officers hat) and modified it by cutting the headphones off of the tank mans hat(not the commander, but the hat with points), filing off the excess plastic on the phones, then filing a groove in the other field hat for the phones strap and CAing the phones on the hat and the hat to the guys head(which also needed to be filed down) to make a brand new tank driver. See pictures, what do you think ??? The General

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:13 am

Looks pretty dang good. 8)

I've become a recent advocate for head packs on the 21C 1/18 Direct From the Source thread. Even with the myriad of different neck lengths and bulb sizes, it would make life a lot easier. I, for one, am not afraid of trimming a neck and gluing a head in place.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:21 am

Hey fl,
Question is, what other 1;18th figures other than 21st cent. soilders have the same type of mounting ??? I did a whimsical kinda "Greatful Dead" figure I call Mr. Skeleton.

He is totally original and I had to make the peg/bulb to put in the bottom of his head so it stays on. Mr. Skeleton has to be the most original figure you'll ever see. My next quest is to make Gen. Eisenhower(sp?) ;) The General

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:31 am

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Does the head need to turn? The guy standing in the Hanomag has a BBi head. That particular head matches up with the DAK neck length and bulb just about perfectly. I have another where the neck is too short. The bubba in the white helmet has a Dragon head. That one required the stem to be trimmed and the head glued in place. Other heads only needed the bulb to be shortened.

As for other head sources, there are a few. There are a few guys on the board that are serious figure nuts. They would be better able to provide some manufacturers that work well. I'm personally only familiar with Dragon and BBi.
-W.C. Fields

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:39 am

those figs are all nice! I especially love the dead guy :D where'd you get the skeletal parts?
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Mr. Skeleton

Post by General Blasto » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:52 am

Hello Col.,
I used a 21st Cent. figure for the body and the head and hand were off of 2 different skeletons I got over at the Miniture Doll house shop here in Orlando. They have lots of cool stuff that could perhaps be used with this 1:18th scale that we model. I know I've bought plenty of items there when I was modeling the 1:29th scale trains. The General

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:35 am

i've made a couple of 'skeleton' soldiers too. They're neat (for some reason....kind of a comic book appeal, i guess).

One is a nazi all in black and the other is a vietnam war grunt.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:03 am

Well as they say, it's your war/figures and you can do or enlist anyone you want to fight for you :wink: I just got back from running a couple errands and I stopped at Michaels to see my better half and besides a new razor saw for kitbashing, I came out with some nicely scaled German Shepards that my German troopers can take out for Walkies while on patrol. Footage at 10 :) The General

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:48 pm

I remember in the early 80's a music video that had a scene with a grpup of soldiers patroling at night. You could only see them in silhouette
till an explosion goes off and you see they are skeletons in uniforms caring M16's. I can't remember what the song was though.

luftpanzer
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by luftpanzer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:52 pm

[quote="aferguson"]i've made a couple of 'skeleton' soldiers too. They're neat (for some reason....kind of a comic book appeal, i guess).

One is a nazi all in black and the other is a vietnam war grunt.[/quote)

Sounds like the old wierd war comic books frm the 70s :D
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

MG-42

Dead Heads ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:39 pm

How about "RommeL's ghost" ! * 8) + :lol:

v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Fox Tare-28
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Dead Heads ( ? )

Post by Fox Tare-28 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:07 pm

MG-42 wrote: How about "RommeL's ghost" ! * 8) + :lol:

v MG

In transparent blue plastic!

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:35 pm

That'd work toward the end of the war.
Because he shot himself or took poison instead of the firing squad after being arrested for High Treason against the state. It was hush, hush and the German folks were told he was a hero. Imagine that :roll: The General

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:18 pm

I always have problems ensuring heads are different within teams. Nice pics! :D
If interrested in seeing more of my customs check out

http://www.freewebs.com/scopescustoms/index.htm