Trains and XD pics

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

G scale trains and sizes

Post by General Blasto » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:54 am

Someone posted about the scale and size of Aristo and USA trains. LGB is suppose to be 1/22.5 on all of their Euro stuff which would be closer to 1:18th modelers. 1/29th works well with 1/32 scale - some say 1/32 trains is "true" scale to the track, but my RR collecting is 1/29th for unifomity. Not alot is made in 1/32, mostly K-line and Rail King make Gauge #1 which is 1/32nd scale. I have wanted to make some track for scenes and maybe a couple Euro 2 axle frieght cars in a larger scale. I thought of using the code 332 rail from G scale track and making wider ties with a wider gap between rails. But who has the time :( IF I made something like this, I'd have to scratch build a German Armoured loco with the custom front end car with AA battery to simulate an Armourment train to move Panzers, Panthers and Tigers to the battlefront :P But like I said, who has the time with all the other kitbashing I have to do for M-24s, Opel trucks and Whirbelwind AA tanks :oops:

Kool idea to use the trains, but it would be limited to the 1/32nd guys if they want to stay in scale. But hey, I won't count rivits, I just know my 1:18 Tigers and Panthers will not fit on a G scale flatcar and look nice, they're just too wide. General Blasto

Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Morian Miner » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:17 pm

Keep in mind, several of the branchlines in North Africa were narrow gauge. Sure, you can't haul tanks and such, but you can haul supplies to the front.

And, the Army ran the WP&Y during the war years, and that line was 36-inch gauge. There is plenty of 1:20.3 WP&Y equipment to run on G-scale track.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.