21st Century Toys 1:32 Information Q&A (Area-21 Pres)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:34 pm

I think there are a lot of factors that go into the reasons why 21st builds similar airplanes in multiple scales...

1. Some of these models are proven sellers and seem like home runs to make.

2. Research and knowledge gained in development in one scale always transfers more quickly to another scale.

3. Track record of successful schemes in one scale will support another.

Now with all that said... the 32x realm is opened up to easily test models that might otherwise be more risky. Like the Macchi's.
I think that in the grand scheme of things the 32x line will proove to be larger and offer a wider selection. Who knows for sure.

As for the new 1:144. Yes I do know that 21st is looking at some jets. I already know the first 4 subjects but I can't yet talk about them. I do not believe that the gear are operational. They are simply too small. Also there is a very low price point they are needing to hit. I have seen 2 of the samples in person however and they really look very cool. More news will come on these items shortly on AREA-21

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:27 pm

Tko,

Since there is no retractable gear, is it possible to have swappable gear up/down options?

Heck if it boils down to price concerns and feasibility I for one say...

Ditch the gear, and go with gears up! Planes were made for flight and there is no better way to display such small birds than in flight.

Besides it would be cheaper to manufacture, and would fit into a collector's or child's pocket with no gear snapping off. Besides for war gaming, wouldn't these be allocated to stands? If so they would look pretty weird going into the "battlefield"(gameboard) with gear down so to speak.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

daverose1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by daverose1 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:43 pm

JasonNC wrote: Why does 21st century make the same planes in 32x, as they do in 1:18? I realize that the new Itallian fighters have never been done in 1:18, but it seems like nearly all of the other 32x aircraft are repeats. I dont know about everyone else, but I already have all the versions of the 1:18 Corsair, and the last thing I want is a SMALLER model of a plane I already have.
Jason;
The reason is two fold, space and money. I'm slowly collecting 1/32 scale ac. I've never owned, nor will I, a 1/18 scale model. They are more expensive than I could justify (I colloect FOV armor, so I have one expensive hobby). Secondly I'm married with two kids. Volume in my home is a negotiated commodity. I have space for maybe a dozen 1/32 scale ac (single seat single engine). I would have trouble displaying a 1/18 P-47, never mind something like a P-38 or F-104. As I patrol my local WM I find 1/18 scale 109s piled high. And the seem to stay forever. There was an Dora that sat on the shelves for over a year. There are very few Zeros left and almost no Macchi's. The 1/32s are cheap at 14$ each, and you can display them easily. I believe from what I've seen at WM that the MARKET prefers 1/32. Ergo 21st will likely show a marked preference in the future for the scale. Those who speek for 21st here have seemed to imply that (my reading). I hope we see more stuff like the Macchis, they were a coup. I expect that we'll see a lot more of what's already been done in 1/18, Stukas, Corsairs, 109s, Blah Blah. I hope that, if only occasionally, we break the Blahs and the molds and do something clever, An IL2 would be AWESOME! So would a Pe-2. How about a Ju-88 for a non-US twin. My fantasies involve Lavochins and Yaks (sometimes Tonys and Franks).

Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:37 pm

Jason,

You also have to remember that in parts of the country, such as CA and PA and New England, the cost of living is much higher than in South Carolina. It is especially high in California. I will tell you that I couldn't believe when I went down to South Carolina a few years ago how much lower prices were for different things.

The problem I have with the 1/18 scale aircraft is exactly as Dave said, cost and space. I for one have no need for all these big Mustangs and other planes floating around my house. I'm not saying they aren't impressive models, they are, but for me the 1/32 scale airplanes just do it for me. I can get more of them, display more of them, have more diverse types and nicer displays. And to make a point, in my home we very seldom go out to eat and we very seldom go to the movies. Right now we have a ton of expenses, and 1/18 aircraft don't fit that bill.

I think this forum should start to appericate what people collect, rather than be critical of people that don't collect something. Everyone here is in this together and helps support all these companies. It isn't right that people tell other people what they collect or what they don't want to collect is wrong.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:15 pm

21st does both scales for all the above mentioned reasons. 1:18 isn't dead or even dying. 1:32 is just a really great scale with the flexability to be a little more risky on subjects. To that point it is a great testing ground for 1:18.

So hey, if Macchis proove to be really great sellers in 1:32, we might see one in 1:18 some day? who knows.

Nice thing is no matter what you perfer both scales are growing and expecting new releases.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:11 pm

tko211 wrote:21st does both scales for all the above mentioned reasons. 1:18 isn't dead or even dying. 1:32 is just a really great scale with the flexability to be a little more risky on subjects. To that point it is a great testing ground for 1:18.

So hey, if Macchis proove to be really great sellers in 1:32, we might see one in 1:18 some day? who knows.

Nice thing is no matter what you perfer both scales are growing and expecting new releases.
That is GREAT news just for the fact that I, like so many other people just don't have the room for 1/18 ( I do have a few) and 1/32 fits the bill perfectly.. I am more than happy that 21st repeats schemes in one scale to the next because then I am guaranteed that I will get schemes I want (Black 12 for one :wink: )(Another shameless plug).. :D
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:51 pm

Um.... look for the official black 12 announcement on AREA-21 soon! :roll:

bravo5
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bravo5 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:51 pm

Hey TKO, any hope of getting modern warbirds or larger bombers in a 1/32 xtreme wings scale or perhaps 1/48?

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:39 pm

Good question. I would think that modern warbirds in the 1:32 scale would be very do-able! I will see what I can dig up.

There is still one more new scale that is supposed to be announced... My guess is that it will be a good scale for modern warbirds.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:29 pm

tko211 wrote:Good question. I would think that modern warbirds in the 1:32 scale would be very do-able! I will see what I can dig up.

There is still one more new scale that is supposed to be announced... My guess is that it will be a good scale for modern warbirds.
I would not be surprised if it is 1/48. Motorworks(which incidentally 21st XD toys were packaged in motorworks boxes) put out a couple diecast 1/48 planes with stands, such as the F-14 and F/A-18. Overall these were bigger than 1/32 prop warbirds but not huge in comparison.

Not to mention 1/48 is a pretty popular :"big scale" in the modeling community, much more attractive than 1/72 and cheaper than making a giant 1/32 or 1/18 modern fighter.

TKO did 21st give any word on swappable landing gear for the 1/144 planes? I will buy them if they could do so, I'd hate to see them fixed in a landing or take off configuration. It wouldn't seem "war ready" for war gaming either. Will they have stands>?

Also if 21st DOES put out any birds in a new scale for modern planes, I am betting these will be the 1st releases...

1-F-4
2-A-10

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:58 pm

Hey TKO, Any word on the new 32x Dueling sets that are showing up in Walmarts????
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Grunt
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Grunt » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:30 pm

I collect a lot of both scales and 21C fixed my biggest (and really only) gripe with 32x when they put those amazing paint jobs on the latest Russian and Japanese infantry.

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Tankdozer and M7

Post by binder001 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:39 pm

Nice to see 21C taking on the 1/32nd Sherman tankdozer. Do you know a projected delivery date?

Any new updates on when the 1/32nd M7 "Priest" will be here?

Thanks, I'm trying to plan my budget.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:57 am

prob the same time as the Tiger(p), sherdozer come ashore.

wonder if we will get "units" for the land based stuff, like the aircraft. A Panzer Lehr Porsche would be nice.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:25 pm

Hey TKO, Any word as to when we will see the new 1/48th scale planes hitting Walmart??? I know you posted on 21st's site that these would be here in a few weeks and it has just about been that long.. Maybe with the new Christmas resets????
-Howard Stark

tko211

Post by tko211 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:33 pm

those should show up anyday now. I have a final 1:48 Mustang that 21st sent to me to give feedback on. Rumor is that they have already been shipped for a while.

Let me tell you, I was prepared to not really dig this thing. It just didn't seem to be my cup of tea. The minute you see one you will die! The paint is AWESOME and the while the size doesn't allow for many moving parts the goodie bag is packed with options for open or closed canopy, landing gear, and an assortment of external tanks or bombs.

The lines are crisp and correct putting up a good arguement for no longer spending the time or money on model kits in 1:48.

The B Mustang is simply a beautiful airplane!
I want on in 1:18 scale NOW!!!!! meanwhile I will enjoy my 1:48!

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:38 pm

Cool.. Thanks!!!

(BTW: if 1/48 isn't "your thing".. I'd be happy to trade you for something).. :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Howard Stark

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Wieslaw » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:57 am

Tko,

what I'd like to see is the 1/32 P-51B. For two reasons: 1) it's an opportunity to make the new molds of Mustang (first P-51B, than D!); 2) four Polish squadrons were equipped with the Mustangs Mk. III (P-51B). They looked great with British markings and camouflage, with Polish "chessboards", squadron and victory signs, with (or without) invasion stripes! Wouldn't they be nice, exciting to the collectors and profitable?

Wieslaw
For our freedom and yours

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:20 pm

TKO I surprisingly found the 1/48 P-51B and BF-109@the local wally world.

What I did not know was that these were swap gear.....had they been retractable gear it would have been close to perfect.

Since these are the first releases in this new scale, I didn't expect these to be perfect. The wing assembly would not sit flush on my mustang. The only way to make it sit flush was to hold it in place while I added krazy glue...since it bonds fast luckily this gamble worked.

The antenna near the cockpit, one of the flaps, and one of the wheels have broke. They are easily glued back on and since they are small I suppose there is a compromise with durability. My main problems were with how the parts fit. The wing is the biggest problem. The 2nd is the landing gear doors in the closed position, it simply is not snug or tight at all, very prone to fall. Same with the bombs and drop tanks.

Nonetheless it is a beautiful model and definitely a good value for the price.

Now it often made me wonder why these birds were not made in 1/32 scale, and why we even have a 1/48 scale. Well I have a theory.

I got a feeling that these were made first in 1/48 since they were in demand(most everyone wants a P-51B), and easily made/tooled since 21st has already sculpted/tooled Bf-109's and Mustangs in 2 bigger scales. Also since these could be readily available, they were chosen as the first releases and since in demand, they knew some would probably buy them.

What I think the 1/48 scale is really for is for jets. JEts in 1./18 would be expensive. I assume only the most popular sure sellers and in demand fighters would be made in that scale. With 1/32 same reasoning only they can do more obscure releases and while it is smaller and cheaper to produce than 1.18, 1/48 is the cheapest of 3 options and smallest space/shelf wise.. With 1/48, 21st can introduce high quality jets that most of us have been begging for at a value price and not take up huge shelf space, while at the same time keeping most of us happy.

I assume smaller fighters such as the MIG-15 and F-86 could be made in 1/32 scale. But stuff like the A-10 and F-4....planes high in demand for years that never made it to shelves in 1/18 form...those I would not be surprised at all to see by 21st in 1/48 scale for b/w 20-30$. And that is why I think we even got a 1/48 scale from 21st...to get jets. Sure we got a P-51B Mustang. But its to get people even aware of the 1/48 scale and to wet appetites.

The way I see it...perhaps it will be like this.

1/32-Most popular WWII birds that are already made in 1/18 scale or introduced in 1/32 scale to test out demand for 1/18 scale. Stuff like the Avenger, Hellcat, stuff like that I can definitely see here. Smaller relevant fighters(jets). Medium WWII bombers.

1/48-80's teen jet fighters, huge B-17 bombers and larger, B-29's TU-95 bears, and the like. Mostly jets. Fulcrums and flankers in this scale in multiple color schemes would not surprise me in the least next year. retractable gear for the big jets, swappable gear for the prop birds.

TKo, I assume I would probably like the 1/32 birds more than the current 1/48s. Is it possible that we will get a P-51B in 1/32 scale? I'd love to see it in that scale...if anything for the size and retractable gear!

And...do any of my above predictions come close to what 21st has in store for us?

I think jets...especially the F-14's and F-15's we all want would be GREAT in 1/48 scale. Retractable gear would work well on those too....they are big enough to manage in them.

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:00 pm

I've been seeing the 1/48 vehicles and they are cool! Tempted to get some, but I want soldiers to go with this stuff! Any chance that 21C is going to produce 1/48 figures?

tko211

Post by tko211 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:58 pm

For shin (and anyone else who might wonder the same things)

In regards to the 1:48 scale... This is a new scale for 21st so there are some things that still need to be worked out in the long run. So expect that process to run it's course.

I agree that these little guys are great, especially for the money. Gear swaps are pretty much needed in this scale as parts become too small, (and as you have found out) they are also a little delicate. While these are still toys, in my mind personally they become much more like desktop models at a great price.

Because the 1:48 scale is still a bit of an test project future releases are still a bit undefined. However, there was a time when the 1:32 scale was also a "test bed"... Look where that has led! So I would say... YES to all your above questions as long as the sales numbers proove themselves out in the end.

Right now things are going very well for 21st. That's a good thing cuz it means things are going good for us fans! There are more products in all scales than anyother year prior. The fire is just going to get hotter from here for late 06 and into 07. All good things.

As for the B model Mustang... You never really know what 21st will decide to do. The F-104 was a curve ball which worked well, The retool P-51D was a no brainer! We could see anything at this point. But hey if I had to place a bet today I would put money down on a B model in 07 or 08. It just makes good sense! I know I want one!!!!!

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:46 pm

Hot Damn!
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]