21st Century Toys 1:32 Information Q&A (Area-21 Pres)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Armor and planes

Post by Wieslaw » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:45 am

Eagle, thanks for "Karas" :) .

I wanted to add to your list my pieces:

A R M O R

USA
M4A1 Sherman
M4A1(76)W Sherman
a hybrid hull Sherman

GREAT BRITAIN
M4A4 Sherman V (with normal gun)
M4A2 Sherman III
Sexton (Canadian)

POLAND
7TP (two turrets)
7TP (one turret)
Vickers E (two turrets)
Vickers E (one turret)
TK tanquette
TKS tanquette
C7P artillery tractor
"Kubus" the improvised armored car build by the Home Army and used in the Warsaw Uprising (it was only one piece, but how many Maus'es there were used in WWII?)
Artillery, e.g. 37 mm Bofors both AA and AT guns, 75mm Schneider...

GERMANY (Polish campaign 1939)
PzKpfw I
Panzerbefehlswagen I
PzKpfw II
Sdkfz 231 6-Rad
Sdkfz 232 6-Rad (Fu)

P L A N E S

USA
P-51A
P-51B
P-51D (new mold, please...)
P-47D Razorback
P-40 - later versions
C-47 Skytrain

GREAT BRITAIN
Spitfire Mk II
Spitfire Mk VB (do you know more beautiful Spitfire, than the 303 Sq. RF-D "Donald Duck"?)
Spitfire Mk XVI "bubbletop"
Mosquito FB VI
Mosquito - all nightfighter versions
Bristol Beaufighter
Westland Lysander
maybe... Wellington?
maybe... Lancaster, Halifax?

POLAND
PZL P-7a
PZL P-11a
PZL P-11c (necessarily)
PZL-37 A and B "Los"
RWD-8

GERMANY
Ju-87 STUKA (all versions)
Bf-109 F and G
Do-17
Henschel Hs-126
V-1 (why not?...)

USSR
Polikarpov Po-2
Petlyakov Pe-2
Yak-1

It's implied that all the tanks and planes above should have the Polish markings, if they were used by Poles :wink:

Wieslaw
For our freedom and yours

toyktdlgh
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:34 am

Took me ten min to scroll through it all.

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Wieslaw » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:23 am

toyktdlgh wrote:Took me ten min to scroll through it all.
Sorry, Dark Vaber's Father. I hope the scrolling through my list took you only about three minutes :wink: .

Best wishes
Wieslaw, two Jedis' father

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Dark Vaber

Post by Wieslaw » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:33 am

P. S. I remember, what my younger son said some years ago:
"(...) came Yoda. She was (...)"
In Polish most names with ending "-a" are female... :wink:

Wieslaw

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:45 am

lol, i'm at work so scrolling is fun here.

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Hello

Post by eddie372 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:50 pm

Nice list and nice avatar wieslaw. I hope your wishes do come true.
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Hello

Post by Wieslaw » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:44 am

eddie372 wrote:Nice list and nice avatar wieslaw. I hope your wishes do come true.
Thanks, Eddie!

This is only a temporary avatar, I have problems with my www site and can't use the "original" one. This is the Polish-Lithuanian knight from the great battle of Orsza (1514, we won!).

My wishes for you all are true, so they must come true :) !

Wieslaw

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Hello

Post by Teamski » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:58 pm

Wieslaw wrote:
eddie372 wrote:Nice list and nice avatar wieslaw. I hope your wishes do come true.
Thanks, Eddie!

This is only a temporary avatar, I have problems with my www site and can't use the "original" one. This is the Polish-Lithuanian knight from the great battle of Orsza (1514, we won!).

My wishes for you all are true, so they must come true :) !

Wieslaw
Were they fighting the Teutonic Knights?

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:53 pm

i believe so.....i think that battle was part of one of the very last Crusades
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Orsza, 1514

Post by Wieslaw » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:48 am

The last war between the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Teutonic Order was round the same time (1519 -21). It was the war, in that Nicolas Copernicus (yes, it was he!) organised the defence of Olsztyn (German: Allenstein) against the Teutonic Knights. Successfully.

But in the years 1512-20 there was another war, with Muscovy (old name of Russia). In 1514, at Orsza, 30.000 Poles and Lithuanians conquered 80.000 enemies. There is a great renaissance picture showing that battle: all Polish-Lithuanian knights have white lance pennons with the red St. George cross (like on the flag of England). It's interesting, that today the independence and freedom movement in Belorussia (which is - equal to contemporary Lithuania - the successor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania) often uses the same pennons or flags and holds the battle of Orsza (pronounce: Orsha) to be a greatest event in the history of the Belorussian nation.

More you can read here:
http://www.jasinski.co.uk/wojna/conflicts/conf02.htm

Wieslaw

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:39 am

Thanks for the history lesson! :)

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Wieslaw » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 am

Teamski wrote:Thanks for the history lesson! :)

-Ski
And vice versa, I thank you, All, that you want to read it :) .

I'm only not sure if I could write it in the chapter "Direct from the Source" :wink: . Maybe the new chapter in "off topic"? E.g. "Military history"?

Wieslaw

daverose1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by daverose1 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:21 pm

tko211 wrote:
Think about it. Why would anyone want to fly over the ocean in combat conditions in a light grey or off-white aircraft? Your aircraft would stand out like a snowball in a coal bin.
Or Britely polished metal like the USAAF did over the Pacific, Europe, Korea, and Vietnam. Dominant airpower can be and often is flashy. Just needed to tweek you a bit. If there is strong research on this color, we accept it (blech). You have to admit the white is so much more fashionable :D I just wish everyone would quit calling it grey, it aint.

Read You Later
David

OH! By the way good show with the M7, please, more dark green stuff some of us are getting panzer weary!

aktiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aktiger » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:24 pm

Tko, any word on the 1/32 multi engine aircraft? A bomber would be great. And it would fit into the existing 1/18 boxes!

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:27 pm

daverose1 wrote:
tko211 wrote:
Think about it. Why would anyone want to fly over the ocean in combat conditions in a light grey or off-white aircraft? Your aircraft would stand out like a snowball in a coal bin.
Or Britely polished metal like the USAAF did over the Pacific, Europe, Korea, and Vietnam. Dominant airpower can be and often is flashy. Just needed to tweek you a bit. If there is strong research on this color, we accept it (blech). You have to admit the white is so much more fashionable :D I just wish everyone would quit calling it grey, it aint.

Read You Later
David

OH! By the way good show with the M7, please, more dark green stuff some of us are getting panzer weary!

The reason the USAAF used exposed polished or bright colors on its aircraft late in the war was because they had Air Supremacy. They wanted thier birds to stand out to provoke attacks hense killing more enemy planes.

There was an old joke back then that the German Army started late in the war, "How do you know what country an airplane is from when you see it?"
Answer: "If it is Green its British, if it is Silver its American and if it can't be seen at all it's German."
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:14 pm

Should you be talking about the plane I think you are...

If you think about the weather that the Atlantic Avenger was operating in - often gray and cloudy, then the gray/white colorscheme makes a little more sense. In cloudy weather, the ocean takes on more of a gray appearance (looking down on the Avenger it would be harder to spot) while the clouds can look whitish or gray when viewed from the ground (hence the light underside on the Avenger). At least that would be my reasoning behind the aparent bright cammo scheme :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:48 pm

speaking of atantic camouflage.....i'll tell one of my favourite tid bits. Late in the war the british experimented with using lights as camouflage. Yes lights.

It was observed that even a white painted plane looks dark against a daytime sky, because the backround light is brighter than the reflected light from the plane. Thus an aircraft of any colour appears dark against the sky and was easily spotted at a distance by Uboat look outs and the uboat could often dive in time.

To counter this, the british but a string of small lights along the leading edge of the wings of an experimental aircraft (a b-24 i think). With the lights turned on and adjusted to an approximation of the backround light the plane became much harder to see and was able to get much closer to its target before being spotted, dramatically cutting down the time the uboat would have to dive and escape.

With the war almost over and the uboat threat pretty much at an end the tests were never put into practice in a combat situation, but it's a pretty interesting story.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:36 pm

My girlfriend and I were looking at a wrecked ship off the coast of Oregon a week ago, it was windy and the water very choppy, pretty much how I imagine the Atlantic is sometimes. Looking at the chop I could easily see the camoflage of the Avenger blending in well there especially at low level or on a torpedo run or strafing attack. Look at the Seagulls, they have the same pattern.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:52 pm

Yes and the sea gulls are a heck of a dive bomber!
Could not think of anything to put here.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:03 pm

aferguson wrote:speaking of atantic camouflage.....i'll tell one of my favourite tid bits. Late in the war the british experimented with using lights as camouflage. Yes lights.

It was observed that even a white painted plane looks dark against a daytime sky, because the backround light is brighter than the reflected light from the plane. Thus an aircraft of any colour appears dark against the sky and was easily spotted at a distance by Uboat look outs and the uboat could often dive in time.

To counter this, the british but a string of small lights along the leading edge of the wings of an experimental aircraft (a b-24 i think). With the lights turned on and adjusted to an approximation of the backround light the plane became much harder to see and was able to get much closer to its target before being spotted, dramatically cutting down the time the uboat would have to dive and escape.

With the war almost over and the uboat threat pretty much at an end the tests were never put into practice in a combat situation, but it's a pretty interesting story.
I recall the British did something similar with lights, though it was on the Suez canal and designed to make the ships "dissappear" to avoid potential German detection (not that they got that far anyways.)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Timbo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Timbo » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:35 pm

The reason the USAAF used exposed polished or bright colors on its aircraft late in the war was because they had Air Supremacy. They wanted thier birds to stand out to provoke attacks hense killing more enemy planes.
More to the point, an unpainted plane was a few miles per hour faster than a painted one of the same type. Speed is life.

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:00 pm

tman I believe it was called CDL for canal defense light .mounted on obsolete tanks
The normal turret was replaced by a cylindrical one containing a searchlight (projected through a vertical slit).
Could not think of anything to put here.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:06 am

kimtheredxd wrote:tman I believe it was called CDL for canal defense light .mounted on obsolete tanks
The normal turret was replaced by a cylindrical one containing a searchlight (projected through a vertical slit).
I don't know about the Suez, but Tman is correct about the ships. The experimental use of lights was done on both ships and aircraft. The lighting would change with the enviroment. It's called active camouflage,

http://www.answers.com/topic/active-camouflage

As Kim mentioned, CDL was used on obsolete Grant tanks to provide direct lighting or reflect light off of clouds to allow night movement.

-Ski

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:12 am

active camouflage.....interesting stuff. First step towards a real cloaking device perhaps?

daverose1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by daverose1 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:35 pm

Jericoeagle1 wrote:

There was an old joke back then that the German Army started late in the war, "How do you know what country an airplane is from when you see it?"
Answer: "If it is Green its British, if it is Silver its American and if it can't be seen at all it's German."
I think air superiority is the correct term as the Germans, et al, were still in the air fighting. I agree. My proposition was that the Japanese were in the same position (air superiority) through the first half of '42, at least. More importatntly really is whose agressing. The side "bringing it" often doesn't feel the need to hide. Compare German Tank colors of 1940 to 1944. The Germans were the ones taking the fight to the enemy in 1940, by 1944 the opposite was true.

David