21st Century Toys 1:18 Information Q&A (Area-21 Pres)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
digger
Officer - Brigadier General

Q&A

Post by digger » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:21 am

Sarge, there are 3 Q&A threads - one for each company - where they are asking for your input. As someone mentioned our input has gotten planes made and had many errors corrected. Let 'em know what you want!
However, when we had a figure poll a few weeks back WWI was not even close to WWII or modern, just so you have some perspective on what you're asking for. :wink:

sarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Q&A

Post by sarge » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:17 am

digger wrote:Sarge, there are 3 Q&A threads - one for each company - where they are asking for your input. As someone mentioned our input has gotten planes made and had many errors corrected. Let 'em know what you want!
However, when we had a figure poll a few weeks back WWI was not even close to WWII or modern, just so you have some perspective on what you're asking for. :wink:

I stand corrected, missed the threads. :oops: Funny W.W.I not mentioned I've seen alot of threads in here about it. Maybe they missed the threads too. :roll: As for letting them know what I want :idea: , 21C stated last year they were coming out with a 1/18 ME262 in the future, haven't heard a word about it since. Just like the Zero. Oh well.

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:44 pm

Good things come to those who wait :D
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:22 pm

TKO,

Any chance of the Eastern Warriors showing up again as carded figures at Walmart? I know they are included with some humvees, but don't really need more humvees.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:18 am

I think part of the problem with WW1 is that in American culture in general it's just never been a popular subject. It probably has to do with its distance to the American mind in general. People just don't know much about it, it's not often taught in US Schools I know.

Oddly enough my gf's daughter is actually studying some aspects of WW1 right now, but it shocked me to know any teacher was on that subject. It's just not something most kids get lessons in these days whereas I think WW2, US Civil War, Revolution, and even the F&I War (especially in my area) get more attention from History teachers...

WW1's very removed from the American mindset... It's still considered a very much European war and American involvement is often forgotten it seems. I think popularity beyond these boards is what kills WW1. Sideshow did a great job but their Bayonettes & Barbed Wire line didn't take off like many would have liked. I'd love some of those figs but the price prohibits me along with space issues.

I'd love 1:18 WWI but I think we have more of a chance of seeing Civil War before WW1... Hell, companies seem reluctant to do WW2 Brits and other nationalities, and that's a proven seller. It's been a strictly US and German market though... Same with modern for the most part, save for the inaccurate BBI Brits. I think the US just played too much of a secondary role in WW1 by the public's opinion for toy companies to do a line that would be sold in the US for that war.

WW1 is definitely one of my favorite military history eras to study and discuss though. I've seen it more times than I can count now, but I love watching every episode of the World War 1 series on the Military Channel on Tuesday nights, haha. If I hear that theme song at the beginning though one more time I think I'm gonna scream. I have to mute it at this point, but every episode is great.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:04 am

But, those WWI planes would really turn heads in 1/18 I believe. The Red Baron is a cultural icon. Plus, there are all of the various colorful schemes to choose from. These crates would be too cool.
Aaron

sarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sarge » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:21 am

Jesse James wrote:I think part of the problem with WW1 is that in American culture in general it's just never been a popular subject. It probably has to do with its distance to the American mind in general. People just don't know much about it, it's not often taught in US Schools I know.

Oddly enough my gf's daughter is actually studying some aspects of WW1 right now, but it shocked me to know any teacher was on that subject. It's just not something most kids get lessons in these days whereas I think WW2, US Civil War, Revolution, and even the F&I War (especially in my area) get more attention from History teachers...

WW1's very removed from the American mindset... It's still considered a very much European war and American involvement is often forgotten it seems. I think popularity beyond these boards is what kills WW1. Sideshow did a great job but their Bayonettes & Barbed Wire line didn't take off like many would have liked. I'd love some of those figs but the price prohibits me along with space issues.

I'd love 1:18 WWI but I think we have more of a chance of seeing Civil War before WW1... Hell, companies seem reluctant to do WW2 Brits and other nationalities, and that's a proven seller. It's been a strictly US and German market though... Same with modern for the most part, save for the inaccurate BBI Brits. I think the US just played too much of a secondary role in WW1 by the public's opinion for toy companies to do a line that would be sold in the US for that war.

WW1 is definitely one of my favorite military history eras to study and discuss though. I've seen it more times than I can count now, but I love watching every episode of the World War 1 series on the Military Channel on Tuesday nights, haha. If I hear that theme song at the beginning though one more time I think I'm gonna scream. I have to mute it at this point, but every episode is great.

WWI is a hell of alot more interesting than all the other wars. Just think about it. In a little over 4 years time over 9 million men lost there lives in conditions that were miserable to say the least. :( :( All the other wars were cake walks compared to this one.

I collected all the Sideshow Bayonets and Barbed Wire figures and made dioramas out of them. One I call "Charging through no mans land" It's the Marine figure charging through a field of barbed wire. I have story boards for each one and the one for this one is the Christmas Truce of 1914 it was quite the story . I saw on the net in Nov of last year that the last surviving member of that died in England. :cry: :cry:

I'd like to talk with you some more on WWI if your interested. My email is [email protected]. hope to hear from you.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:00 pm

I wouldn't say that all other wars were cakewalks compared to WWI. Those that came before it largely were, however, WWII was far worse as far as casualties and overall destruction - over 50 million dead as opposed to 9 million in roughly the same time span of 4 years as well as much of Europe and east Asia devestated. WWII also covered far more of the globe with conflict. The battlefields of WWI were largely confined to France and Russia, with more limited engagements taking place in the middle east and asia.

Where WWI stands in historical importance rests in much of its post-war aftereffects. WWI was basically the first war where industrialized and mechanized destruction was seen on such a large scale. It was the first total war that in which the entire population of the beligerent nations were mobilized for the war effort. WWI totally trashed the Victorian mindset that was characterized by beliefs in progress as well as an ordered, rational world, leaving a general sense of despondency and cynnacism in the wake of the conflict. The fact that nothing resembling the Marshall Plan was implemented after WWI and reparations were heaped on the defeated nations led to future complications. The aftereffects of WWI consequently paved the way for the rise of Communist Russia, Nazi Germany, the modern political structure of the Middle East, and ultimately WWII. WWI would ultimately prove to be far more of a "cake-walk" than WWII.

So, in summary, I do agree with the enormous political, social, and military importance of WWI, however, I think its level of destruction and political aftereffects were completely eclipsed by those of WWII.

sarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sarge » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:43 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I wouldn't say that all other wars were cakewalks compared to WWI. Those that came before it largely were, however, WWII was far worse as far as casualties and overall destruction - over 50 million dead as opposed to 9 million in roughly the same time span of 4 years as well as much of Europe and east Asia devestated. WWII also covered far more of the globe with conflict. The battlefields of WWI were largely confined to France and Russia, with more limited engagements taking place in the middle east and asia.

Where WWI stands in historical importance rests in much of its post-war aftereffects. WWI was basically the first war where industrialized and mechanized destruction was seen on such a large scale. It was the first total war that in which the entire population of the beligerent nations were mobilized for the war effort. WWI totally trashed the Victorian mindset that was characterized by beliefs in progress as well as an ordered, rational world, leaving a general sense of despondency and cynnacism in the wake of the conflict. The fact that nothing resembling the Marshall Plan was implemented after WWI and reparations were heaped on the defeated nations led to future complications. The aftereffects of WWI consequently paved the way for the rise of Communist Russia, Nazi Germany, the modern political structure of the Middle East, and ultimately WWII. WWI would ultimately prove to be far more of a "cake-walk" than WWII.

So, in summary, I do agree with the enormous political, social, and military importance of WWI, however, I think its level of destruction and political aftereffects were completely eclipsed by those of WWII.

I agree with you on some of your points but as you say WWI was only fought in France and parts of Russia while WWII covered basically all of Europe. Nine million don't sound like much, but my point was as to the type of weapons and fighting involved in such a small area and the types of people, future artists, engineers, ect. ect. that were killed. Heck the darn machine gun was basically invented strickly for that war as was Biological war fare. Conditions of the battlefields were also another factor. Miserable on all sides. Those in the trenches really suffered. At least in the following wars hygene was not as big an issue. I give a Big salute to those of WWI. WWI was a testing ground for all future wars. No one learned from it except to fight better. War is Hell and the Vets of WWI were in it more than those of all the future wars. That's what I meant by a "cake walk"

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:33 pm

Any idea when we'll hear something from 21C on their F-86? With the Admiral F-86 up for preorder, and since everyone can't buy two, it would be nice to compare the two.

sarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sarge » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:10 pm

Morian Miner wrote:Any idea when we'll hear something from 21C on their F-86? With the Admiral F-86 up for preorder, and since everyone can't buy two, it would be nice to compare the two.
Well let's see here 21C said something about their Avenger, their Zero and the "possibilities" of an F-86 and Mig-15 coming. With their past track record don't hold your breath. Maybe it'll surface disguised as a repaint. :P :P :P

ltcbj

New Millenium

Post by ltcbj » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:53 pm

I have seen a lot of New Millenium 1/18 PanzerIV-H radio Control tanks selling on eBay as "Ultimate Soldier" and other 21st Century trademark names. I have also seen the little 144scale Classic Armor tanks, also by New Millenium. The packaging is very similar to the same as 21st Century's. What is the relationship, if any, between New millenium and 21st Century.
I apologize if this has already been asked.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:58 pm

TKO:

What's this about a 1/18 WC-51 Dodge 3/4 ton Cargo truck in WM? One of our guys has purchased this!!!!!, for $23??

Can we get the straight scoop from you? Are e-tailers going to be getting this truck? or is somebody smoking something they shouldn't??

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:31 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been on the last week. It's been a busy week! OK lets see....

F-86, -good question. I asked 21st about this during the week. They say it is still a black project for now but that an update is very soon to follow... I think it is a matter of pictures and being in position to decide the time is ready wheel her out. I get the impression this AC is closer than we all thought! Which you might also suspect the Mig-15 to be in the same boat as I have been told that these are twin projects being built side by side.... Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it!
Fpr now that is all I know... something is close though.

Vehicles at WM (command car etc.).... ??? I haven't looked into this and my area is out of stock on EVERYTHING! It sucks! even the little tanks for 2 bucks... All gone!!! I will try to get some intel.

BOB and OMG figure assortments... these should be showing up anyday if not already. I think BOB is just behind the OMG figs...

tko211

Post by tko211 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:39 pm

Sorry forgot to put my 2cents in for WWI...

I personally would LOVE to see a couple bi-planes... They are too classic and represent such a unique page in aviation history. I think we can all agree that this is not nearly as profitable or as popular with the masses as WWII. But hey a triplane, albatros, camel or spad would be neat!

as an example: Xbox 360 didn't lead off with "all quiet on the western front" as their first person shooter game... I think Call of Duty II took that prize!

So I think it would be safe to say it would not be a deep market... but a couple pieces could be a nice desert for the main course! Who knows, the future is always unwritten!

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:15 pm

tko211 wrote:Corsair question & Platoon question...

Roger that Fellas- I am looking into both of those topic as we speak. I hope to have more intel posted on AREA-21 regarding both items very soon...

I am also looking into more info for the OMG and BOB figures as well.

Stay tuned to AREA-21 the next few weeks.

TKO, Any word on PLatoon yet?

Thanks!

luftpanzer

a side note on WW1

Post by luftpanzer » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:59 pm

1)the 100th aniversery will be upon us in 8 years so interest might pick up.
2) Dont forget that while WW1 was a 4 year war we only took part in the last year of it. And we had to gear up and train for it so we only actually took an active part on the western front the last couple of months, so that is why its not big on a lot of americans.
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

mediump
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by mediump » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:45 pm

tko, first of all, thanks for keeping us informed 8)
:?:
any news of the new figures
platoon...
BOB (ardennes infantry)...
u.s. and german...

and, are these walmart exclusives :?:
or will they eventually show up with our freindly
online retailers

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:37 pm

Here is the latest.

Platoon... My intel is pointing to some updates with this line at ToyFair. I know there has been some movement and looks like Vietnam / Platoon fans might get to see some pictures pretty soon. (keeping my fingers crossed, I am anxious to see figure pics!)

BoB new assortment... these should be out almost any day now from my understanding. You never know! The new Dodge car came out of nowhere! You would think it was a stealth truck!!! So it could be really soon. I do know that they are finished for sure.

I have no idea if these new figures will show up with on-line shops or not. Historically it is the on-line shops that get the exclusives "special editions". Not the otherway around. So I would guess that there is a good chance that some will end up on the web in the future.

MG-42

"Kübel"

Post by MG-42 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:11 pm

Hey "tko211" ! ....Do you have any info., ....regarding the resurrection of a "new" release of the beloved "Kübel" ? .....Perhaps with an "elaborate paint scheme" this time around ? 8)
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:37 am

tko211,

Wheres the review for the 1/18th Mustangs from 21st? I dont mean to bug ya about it but I look forward to seeing your review along with more photos.

:wink:
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:59 pm

TKO211,

Can you ask 21st whatever happened to the Sahara vehicles? I was looking forward to new paint on the M48A3.
They still show up on the website.

Thanks!

MG-42

"Sahara Vehicles"

Post by MG-42 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:06 pm

Yeah man,.....I've been lookin' for the M-48 too ! .....Where are They ? :roll:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:16 pm

yeah - I was wondering what happened to the Sahara vehicles too.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:00 am

CW4USARMY wrote:TKO211,

Can you ask 21st whatever happened to the Sahara vehicles? I was looking forward to new paint on the M48A3.
They still show up on the website.

Thanks!

I've seen them in stores actually! The whole set.