21st Century Toys 1:18 Information Q&A (Area-21 Pres)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:43 pm

How about the stands that held 10 planes nose up?
Kurt

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:04 am

tko211 wrote: My intel says there will still be snow on the gound when the Avenger is out. I am placing my bet on early Feb. -TKO
21st HQ is near the central California coast, correct? So if the Avenger will be available when snow is on the ground, doesn't that equate to .....never?? :shock:

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:07 am

So, can i ever expect a Ju-87G-2 ( Preferably Hans Ulrich Rudel's mount) or am i gonna have to buy another Stuka B and do a half-way custom? :(
I Tan I Epi Tas

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:20 am

Ta-152 wrote:So, can i ever expect a Ju-87G-2 ( Preferably Hans Ulrich Rudel's mount) or am i gonna have to buy another Stuka B and do a half-way custom? :(
You'd have to do more than a "half-way" conversion to get a "G" version.. New wings, new cowl, new canopy, almost a new plane.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:31 am

You guys are killing me with the snow comments :roll:

FEB. is still my estimate. (yes the west coast still gets the month of feb. same as everyone else) :D -The bottom line is that the Avenger is close. I know this because last time I checked on it the Boxes were being printed. I can't wait!

tko211

Post by tko211 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:40 am

The P-51D's that will go into Wal-Mart will be the standard 40.00 price tag.

Avenger might be a different story? Not too positive on that yet. But rest assured it will be a fair price.

-the 10 plane metal display rack?-
Funny you should ask! I have just finished all the prep work to the photos and text needed to launch a new article on AREA-21 concerning the interest level of the display. 21st will be conducting a small survey to see how high the interest level might be for this item. I personally own 3 displays and they are AWESOME! They save so much space and really look very very cool. I hope to be able to publish this article sometime this week. So be on the look out for it on AREA-21.

No luck on a G model stuka I am afraid. But I have heard rumors of a Stuka repaint in the works. I hope to learn more about that after the holidays.

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:51 am

hworth18 wrote:
Ta-152 wrote:So, can i ever expect a Ju-87G-2 ( Preferably Hans Ulrich Rudel's mount) or am i gonna have to buy another Stuka B and do a half-way custom? :(
You'd have to do more than a "half-way" conversion to get a "G" version.. New wings, new cowl, new canopy, almost a new plane.. :wink:
Yeah, i know, but i can only change what's within my ability range. :lol:

I don't need a repaint, i need a G. Meh, sometimes 21st's choices for what gets made perplex me.
I Tan I Epi Tas

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:28 am

we might get stands? whoa where did you guys see these first? was this at a toyfair? And can they accomodate the copters and F-104?
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:32 am

Plane stands?

Who said we want plane stands, I don't want plane stands......Geeze Louise, I can see it know, my bunker loaded with planes on these stands. I don't want to buy planes, my Stuka and copters and my Avenger (if snow is still on the ground :shock: ........that could be June in the northeast).

I don't need no more stinken planes 8) Tanks, half-tracks, Jeeps and trucks, that's what I want. :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:59 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:Plane stands?

I don't need no more stinken planes 8) Tanks, half-tracks, Jeeps and trucks, that's what I want. :roll:

TTT
I'm with you TTT on that one!!!!!

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:59 pm

TKO, is there any chance of seeing any new armor or artillery (1/18th) in '06? We've seen the King Tiger, Jagdtiger and the 88 in 32x they would be a great addition to the XD line.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:17 pm

Boy would I kill to get some crewed 1:18 guns!! The IE 18 with a crew and a diorama base like the 32x version would be smashing!!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

tko211

Post by tko211 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:36 pm

I think there is a good chance of seeing some new armor in 06. 21st has already hinted at developing something in 1:18 scale. Sorry that is all I know about that right now.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:01 pm

Teamski wrote:Boy would I kill to get some crewed 1:18 guns!! The IE 18 with a crew and a diorama base like the 32x version would be smashing!!

-Ski
Then there's the German 88mm Flak gun with crew, and the US 105mm Howitzer.... :)

jmd250
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jmd250 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:21 am

What ever happened to the XD Abrahms. Will we finally be seeing one in a reasonable scale?

Loki
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Loki » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:30 pm

Are the Market Garden paras part of the A Bridge Too Far line or are we going to get 2 different assortments based on O.M.G. And are they all US troops or will there be more Germans too?

spect_spidey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by spect_spidey » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:42 pm

Operation Market Garden figures are now up in Area-21. There is pictures of 3 of the figures. In my opinion they look just like the Merrill's figures except the one with the life vest jump gear based off the Ruppert paratrooper. Not bad looking though. May pick them up when they are released if I don't have a Merrill's set by then.

Hammerhead 73
Private First Class
Private First Class

1:18 Big Boys?

Post by Hammerhead 73 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:12 pm

Any chance that 21st or BBI will ever do somrthing along the lines of a
P-61 Black Widowor even better a B-25 Mitchell? I can dream can't I...
Thanks...

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:16 pm

Welcome to the board Hammerhead!! Neat to see another 1:18 fan! We can only hope that 21st does something a bit on the bigger side. You never know, these days just how big they will go. The Avenger coming out soon will be the biggest plane done so far (short of the F-18). Keep your fingers crossed.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:17 pm

spect_spidey wrote:Operation Market Garden figures are now up in Area-21.

More retreads. Interesting they don't say 'Bridge Too Far' anywhere on the packaging. Perhaps they dropped the movie tie in?

Anyway, it would be nice to get some British figures in this series, seeing how Market Garden was principley a British operation. :?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

pcb122605
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pcb122605 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:13 pm

spect_spidey wrote:Operation Market Garden figures are now up in Area-21. There is pictures of 3 of the figures. In my opinion they look just like the Merrill's figures except the one with the life vest jump gear based off the Ruppert paratrooper. Not bad looking though. May pick them up when they are released if I don't have a Merrill's set by then.
I have more than enough paratroopers. I'll probably pass on these. They do look nice though, for repaints.

spect_spidey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by spect_spidey » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:30 am

TKO211 ~ I understand the reusing of figure molds to create figures representing different campaigns and operations during the war. This is the military and the military does use standard uniforms which only changed very slightly during the war, but I have a question I would like for you to ask 21st Century Toys on my behalf. Here is the question:

Why do you, meaning 21st Century Toys, continue to use the same head sculpts and accessories with every release instead of making a few new head sculpts?

I think that more figures would be sold if they at least had different head sculpts and slightly different accessories. From being a former G.I. Joe 3 3/4" collector, I know that both Hasbro and Master Collector (they do the Joe Conventions) have stated that they could make like 6 new head sculpts for the same cost as making one whole new figure sculpt. This would seem to be a feasible solution for a military line of figures. For example, the Market Garden figures could still use the Davis paratrooper mold for the bodies, but have all new heads and give them slightly different accessories to attach to the figures. Instead of using the exact same accessories that came with a previous figure, why not include a bazooka, a Springfield rifle, a mortar, a pistol, different pouches, or even knives?

digger

huh/

Post by digger » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:55 am

Why do you, meaning 21st Century Toys, continue to use the same head sculpts and accessories with every release instead of making a few new head sculpts?

I think 21st had 15 new headsculpts in 1:18 scale this year. Spect, to you it seems they "continue to use" but for some of us the MM set was the first we saw again of the para heads. I think if they were molding new heads, new Springfield rifles and other accessories, they would be getting very close to new figures (again, you can't compare Hasbro to 21st). This is the problem with re-release - people cry for re-release but then when the figures come out we want to know why they don't have new heads, new weapons, new articulation...

I think if you want new figures, that is new weapons, heads, uniforms, you need to wait until next year. We got our new figures for this year already - these new BoB & OMG are gravy. Buy or not we should not look them in the mouth - it would have been these or nothing. :?

spect_spidey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by spect_spidey » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:53 am

Digger ~ I was using a statement from Hasbro not comparing them, regarding the cost of making an entirely new figure vs. making new head sculpts. I am happy to see the figures that 21st Century is releasing. But at the same time, how many figures do we need with the same heads? Looking at the BoB and OMG figures that have been shown in the last week or so, three of these figures come with the Mayer head and two come with the Jennings head. Not to mention that both of these heads were used in the Merrill's set.

The BoB U.S. figures are on the right track for re-releases. There are two heads per figure and an option to have them with or without the trench coat. The German tankers are also nice additions with the removable headgear. The German Infantry is okay as long as they aren't short packed in the case, because everyone can use more basic infantry.

But in my opinion, the OMG figures, which represent a series not yet explored by this figure line are lacking. As I stated previously, I have no problem with the body being a previous sculpt. It makes sense. The uniforms didn't really change other than color from previous operations. But if the same heads are being used why bother with giving the figures new names or even a new campaign? Why not just re-release the old paras and save OMG for a series with entirely new sculpts? I don't expect new sculpts every time I see 21st Century releases in my local Walmart, but I do expect a company to not try and pass off something old as something new.

Again in my opinion, there is a big difference between re-releasing product as what it is and re-releasing product as something new. I guess in this aspect, yes I would compare 21st to Hasbro because they have done the same thing. Hasbro took many figures and re-released them with new names. Examples:
Roadblock = Double Blast
Snow Job = White Out
Shockwave = Sure Fire
And now 21st Century is doing the same:
OMG Pvt. Cordero = Cpl. Ruppert
OMG Cpl. Chapman = Cpl. Mayer
OMG Cpl. Hilarie = Cpl. Jennings

It's as if WW II was fought with clones. :lol:

digger

heads

Post by digger » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:27 am

I hear you - headsculpts is always something as collectors we are looking for. I have destroyed a whole set of bbi paras just for their great heads.
But lots of Jennings heads are good - they can fire in the prone position. And for the people who missed Mayer, there is Chapman. I think you were missing Wilson from your collection - other people probably are too and that head is new to them. :wink:

Look at the bbi modern line, the same heads were used 2-3 times in USMC, Army, etc...it's just a fact of figures sadly. As you said Hasbro has about 15 versions of some guys, so most stuff comes around again. Many of us are always looking for sources of headsculpts, it's all part of the hobby. :roll: :P