21st Century Toys 1:18 Information Q&A (Area-21 Pres)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

21st Century Toys 1:18 Information Q&A (Area-21 Pres)

Post by tko211 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:22 pm

Fellow Fans-

I have made the decision to create this thread in an effort to help ease the tension and hopefully put minds at ease. So for those who don't already know me, please allow me to introduce myself as I provide a little background.

As some of you already know I am not an employee of 21st Century Toys Inc. However I have accepted the post of serving as the AREA-21 Fan Club president which is owned by 21st Century Toys an operates through thier web site. I have been a fan since 1999. I collect mostly 1:18 scale products... Mostly airplanes. I remember the old days of TRU and the old groundpounders network. I have a good friendship with our Administrator P-51 who is kind enough to let me participate here. Some of you know me and have even talked with me off-line. I have many friends here and I am glad we have this forum to serve as a fun distraction from the daily grind of Jobs, erands, and whatever serves as your reality. War toys are fun to talk about debate and discuss.

Primarily as a good rule of thumb all news out from 21st occurs on AREA-21 however I realize the need for very detiled Q&A sessions are required for the hungry appetites on this board. I must state however that you will not see many "wait and see answers" as anything of substance is reported through AREA-21. but you might have to get used to the answer of "I am not sure".

My next time that I will spend time in the company with 21st is most likely going to be ToyFair in Feb. aside from that I do have a couple phone calls and e-mails that occur in between the big events.

On the seldom occasion you will find that I do have knowledge of various tidbits that are of some use so go ahead and ask away. I will do my best to monitor this thread and get you a reply as soon as I can.

Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Morian Miner » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:37 pm

Here's a few questions I have. I don't expect most to be answered yet, but it can't hurt to ask:

- Will we being seeing any more 21C at Toys R Us beyond the Marauders?
- Are the 1/18 Sahara Jeep, Tank, and Huey still coming?
- Will there be more 1/18 RC Tanks in '06?
- Any chase of the ground crew figures showing up on cardbacks?
- Any figure repaints we can look forward to showing up?
- Will the Kubelwagen show up again in 1/18?
- Was the release of the M-41/Halftrack/Hannomog/Humvee at Walmart a one-time occurance, or will we see something again where a bunch of random vehicles show up at Walmart again?
- Any chance of a 21C store like before? Specifically, any chance of seeing something like the 2-pack of Vietnam drivers?

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:49 pm

-At one point years back, there was a rumor of an A-4 skyhawk for the 1/6 scale line.

Being that the plane is smaller than the starfighter and fairly popular, was it ever planned for the 1/18 XD line?

-I think I read an interview at area 21 where 21st was thinking about making an F-4 but the
mock up they made was so large so they viewed it as too expensive to tool. With the F-4 still remaining popular and given the fact that there was such dissapointment amongst the fans since 21st decided to can it, is there a chance that 21st will give the F-4 another go?(I realize if made, it would be the biggest 1/18 bird made to date if not most expensive, but as you have seen here, more than enough of us are willing to pay the price).

-F-14 or F-15. Did 21st ever consider these 2?

-Is there a chance that XD will make it back to TRU?

-The lonesome F-8. The famed MIG master. Any chance? DId anyone on the design team want to work on this?

-Since BBI and now admiral toys are making ,more 1/18 jets, has this upped the ante and made 21st more aggressive in pursuing more different 1/18 jets to create(I hear the F-104 is "up there" as in being one of the best 1/18 jet toys)

-I know this is a realistic line. And the majority of buyers are grownups. But was this toy line meant for the late teen-adult age group? They appear to be pretty durable, and we all know that some of us play with these things and recreate war scenes often.

-Is there a time coming soon where you can tell us what future jet releases are planned? It'd be interesting to know, especially if its a plane that no other company has done before in 1/18.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:41 pm

I'd just like to thank you for setting up this topic, and being available to reply to questions. :D

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:45 pm

for morian-

- Will we being seeing any more 21C at Toys R Us beyond the Marauders?

A. Hopefully! That is the plan but it really is up to the buyer and I doubt they have checked up on the sales yet to evaluate it's success. The timing of christmas should be a good help though.

- Will there be more 1/18 RC Tanks in '06?

A. Not that I am aware of but you never know.

- Any chase of the ground crew figures showing up on cardbacks?

A. I doubt it... at least at first! Besides there are too many other things that I would see them doing first. I am guessing that the ground crew figs will be part of the draw to the Legends line.

- Any figure repaints we can look forward to showing up?

A. Yes for sure! see the latest article on AREA-21 (posted today)...

- Will the Kubelwagen show up again in 1/18?

A. I sure hope so! It is a favorite of mine personally. I think it will happen but I just don't know when or what it will look like.

- Was the release of the M-41/Halftrack/Hannomog/Humvee at Walmart a one-time occurance, or will we see something again where a bunch of random vehicles show up at Walmart again?

A. Hummm I doubt it will be the last time. Unless 21st stops selling to Wal-Mart. Which is pretty doubtful.

- Any chance of a 21C store like before? Specifically, any chance of seeing something like the 2-pack of Vietnam drivers?

A. This is an excellent question. I hope there is some kind of special product offering but for now nothing is yet planned. But hey 06 is a new year!

Great questions MM-

-TKO

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:02 pm

For Shin-

A skyhawk in 1/6 I am sure is most likely not going to happen as cool as it would be to see!

F-4 question- I remember the rumors... I don't recall though if it was generated from 21st though.... I think that came from somewhere else? Phantom is a BIG ship indeed! I think it would way cool. The options for paint schemes sure seem to be apealing! -For now I have not heard any confirmation that they will produce one. But I think it is agreed that it would be a fun project.

21st much like any company considers pretty much anything with wings! Nothing I have head of so far.

-Since BBI and now admiral toys are making ,more 1/18 jets, has this upped the ante and made 21st more aggressive in pursuing more different 1/18 jets to create(I hear the F-104 is "up there" as in being one of the best 1/18 jet toys)

A. The F-104 is honestly one of the coolest toys I have ever seen!!! I love them! It shocked me to learn they had picked such an obscure jet, but man to assemble one and hold it in your hands.... too cool! JETS!!!! Yes 21st is opening up into jets! Wait till you guys see the F-86 and Mig-15! I have personally held the prototype for the F-86! You guys are gonna die! Pilot is by far the best figure yet... Sorry no pics yet! For obvious reasons this project has been under a black flag of secrecy! But I can assure you. Fans are going to hear news on these 2 planes soon! -Patience will pay off for now I am afraid that is all I can say.

Yes these are toys by definition however the market push and demand for realism is becomming more and more critical! Roy Sutherland is kept pretty busy there at 21st! HE is doing a great job... check out the Bf-109G-6 or Starfighter to see what I am talking about.

The only jets I am aware of at this time is the F-86, Mig-15. More news is only a few weeks away! AREA-21 will be the first place to hear more on these awesome planes!

Thanks Shin! (didn't answer some questions because they were asked and answered by Morian... check there too)

-TKO

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:12 pm

Wow! Thanks for the updates Zach! All I can say is that I am really excited at all of the possibilities. We really appreciate 21st coming out a bit and sharing with the fans once again! Highly appreciated!! :)

Now if I can get my hands on the S-1 104 at Walmart, I'll be stoked!!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:22 pm

Ski-

My old friend! Man I hear you the S-1 F-104C is so wicked cool! I am excited for the vietnam camo one too!

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:23 pm

I want someone to come on here and ask me about the movie stuff!

spect_spidey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by spect_spidey » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:24 pm

Hey, so what movie licensed product does 21st Century have instore for us? Any preview pics?

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:40 pm

Hmmm since the push for more realism is detail is taking a step up, will the durability we have come to know and love remain the same?(or increase? a decrease in durability would not be good). I'd love to be able to still play with these things and recreate war scenes ya know? "The toy for the big boy" as I like to say. I would love to be able to play with these and swoosh these around and know they can take some abuse, I think its a shame to leave these relicated to static display ya know? I say get franklin mint models for those!

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:41 pm

Sweet I got a taker!!!

Spidey- Well movie stuff is pretty tricky! Movies (unless it's Starwars, Spiderman, Batman or other very very large franchises) frankly shop for toys very late in the game. This means often times it is already too late to consider toys. 21st agreed to do skycaptain when it had already hit theaters and was alomst out of them! They chose to do it because they thought the "instant cult classic" appeal to the movie would pay off... and it did. Sky Captain has actually sold very well.

SAHARA- legal stuff and approvals franky took too long. But Figure sales are pretty strong even inspite of the film already being on DVD. Nice thing about them is that a tank is still a tank out of it's box! SAHARA should do just fine as well. I still can't keep them on the shelves in my area!

Platoon- This line is still very much alive. look for developing news on this soon.

A Bridge too Far- Same deal... Nice thing about these two are that they have already hit the silver screen!

They will be cool, and nice additions to my main line collection.

As for new movies?... I think Platoon an ABTF will be enough for them to chew on for a the time. - I haven't heard of any new movie deals.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:48 pm

Shin-

You raise an EXCELLENT point! Frankly it is a huge issue! More than people realize. Realism = fragile. It is 21st's Hallmark to bring superior detail and marry it to durable usability as a toy.

I FULLY agree that there are way too many Franklin mints and other desktop statics...

moving parts are so important! So to answer your question! No you should not worry. Detail and playability are both priority for 21st. The Avenger project is a shining example. The Avenger is so realistic in its detail. The foldiing wings and gear have been a huge issue to resolve. We have waited,... waited a long time. But trust me NOBODY would want it anyother way once you see this thing! The next few releases will see an increase in detail, and they are sturdy!

-EXCELLENT Question!

spect_spidey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by spect_spidey » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:34 pm

Are all the movie licenses you mentioned in 1:18 scale or a different scale? I have seen the Sky Captain P-40 (no pilot with it, odd) and I have seen the Sahara figures. I have not seen any of the Sahara vehicles though, except the 1:6 Jeep on EBay. Platoon and A Bridge too Far definitely got me excited if in 1:18. I just hope there are some Viet Cong in the Platoon line. Got to have some enemies for Defoe and Sheen to clash with. Also these new Bulge figures that can be customized to not be winter troops have definitely got me excited. They will make it alot easier on those of us who can't afford to buy multiples of several figures just to swap heads.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:53 pm

Yep all the movie stuff is 1:18 scale. With the exception to Sky Cap which also came in 1:32.

On the topic of 1:18 sky cap and the exclusion of the pilot... The studio required that they steer clear of any indication of there being a sky cap figure. The reason? Because the Movie produceres never planned on doing toys and thus never required the actors to sign over likeness / licence rights. If you look at the box art you will also notice there is no use of the actors in any close ups or anything like that. All legal stuff...

Platoon is not expected to have VN figures as part of the set last I heard. Now that could change based on the interest level as it get closer to release you never know... Hard to say on that one.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:51 am

Hey Zach,

I know that in the past, 21st hasn't been exactly methodical in their releases of aircraft, i.e. balance between Allied/Axis planes. While not from the same time frame, the S-1 Mustang and BF-109 was an ideal way to release adversarial aircraft at the same time. Is 21st looking into the possibility of releasing adversaries in the future, possibly as a set?? I think it would sell a lot more planes if fans could get both sides of a conflict...

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:25 am

Hm....i think it would be a big mistake not to release Vietnamese soldier figures in with the Platoon line. You know how most collectors like to have adversaries for their troops.......for figure collectors this is an even higher priority.

Given that 21c already made two VN figures it wouldn't take much for them to dust them off a bit and re-release them as part of the Platoon line. It would go a long way to attracting buyers to the line, especially those that are new to XD and missed these figures the first time round...
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

digger

well,

Post by digger » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:28 am

I like having bad guys too but but the NVA and VC were big peg-warmers the first time through. :? Also, the fans of the movie who are not toy collectors would probably skip the VC.
Cool figures will sell w/o adversaries - look at the new bbi guys, you can't find them anywhere and there are no bad guys. I do agree they should throw one VC in per case since they're already tooled. Give him both the RPG and AK 8)

My question is armor - any? anytime soon? even maybe a repaint? We are the forgotten collectors :(

immeww2

Re: well,

Post by immeww2 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:46 am

digger wrote:My question is armor - any? anytime soon? even maybe a repaint? We are the forgotten collectors :(
I'm with you on that one.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:25 am

Ski-

Brother you have indeed hit the nail on the head!

(I think I am ok to say this)
:roll:

21st is pretty deep in production on the F-86 and Mig-15. I have heard some rumors that they plan to release them on the same day! I am not positive yet but I have heard it discussed on more than one occasion.

It does make for a very cool idea though. I hope that they do it! Man I would love to see the day when I walk out of the store with 2 new molds of planes that compliment each other as adversaries.

It is very good question and I will look into it deeper for you guys. Thing is the F-86 project has been under pretty strict blanket of secrecy (you would think it was a stealth project) So I don't know what I will get out of 21st.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:36 am

No argument from me on VN troops! I would like them too. Simply because I missed the first time around. 21st could dust them off an do them for sure.

But if I know Roy Sutherland he would say No, if we are gonna do that Lets make better ones!!! That is his job :lol:

The P-51D will be a shining example of the idea of "we can build it better".

But who knows I could be wrong. Maybe 21st will decide to bring out the VN figs again?

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:10 pm

Being that the F-86 and MIG-15 are under secrecy, and that you handeled the F-86 prototype.....

Can you tell us anything about it? Does it have features not found on the admiral toys version?

Most importantly though, how much can we expect to pay for them? I know the WWII birds and the cobra go for about 40$, the F-104 at walmart apparently is the same price...which is astonishing yet very surprising to me...makes me happy since that is a GREAT price for something so huge.

We can probably expect the S4 F-104 during early 2006 and I presume the MIG-15 and F-86 during spring. Does 21st plan to do different jets aside from these during 2006? Modern jets? How about helicopters?

And will the F-86 and MIG-15 come with ground crew or is that strictly reserved for legends versions?

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:17 pm

Hey Zack,
Will you also be answering questions from the "small scalers"???
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Rogo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rogo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:12 pm

TKO, Is 21C working with Walmart to improve the distribution of products?

Also, any idea when we will see production pics of the new Mustang in it's new liveries? Is it ahead of Avenger or following?

Thanks for all the intel, this is Great!!!

Rogo

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:37 am

Hi

1/18 WWII figures is my game and what I need to know is there any news at all about 1/18 WWII British troops has there ever been any talk about doing British figures? This is something that I have been waiting for and I think everyone else has been waiting aswell.

Thanks for your time.
SGT. Saunders
There's only one way out of HELL! and that's through it!!