Admiral Toys Information Q&A (Jason)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:56 am

Jason, once tooling is complete, how long on average until you have a finished production piece?
Thanks,
Todd

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:11 am

Once tooling is completed it will take anywhere from 3 months to a year before you see a final product. There are a lot of adjustments and mods that happen after tooling is completed.

Tim Murphy, please give me an email at my private admiral toys email, or customer service. I have a question to ask you and have misplaced your contact information. Thank you.

Regards,
Jason

Rogue
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Rogue » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:11 pm

Any chance y'all are coming up for Alliance Air Show? (AFW) :twisted:

Its this weekend! :o

http://www.allianceairshow.com/

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:19 pm

G'day Jason

I hope you do not mind me asking, but when you say that the F-4 has been CAD'ed do you mean that the 3D model has been transferred to CAD or that the actual tools themselves have been designed in CAD? I only ask this as I recently went through the process of taking a large plastic item from concept, through CAD to a finished product and know that the design of CAD tool is the major part of the process.

Most would not know that there are many factors that need to be considered in the design of the tool, so to give others just a little insight here are just a few:

Shrinkage – The item that is ejected from the tool shrinks once it is cooled and so shrinkage factor has to be taken into account in the tool design.

Draft – To enable the items to be ejected freely from tool a draft of usually 2° needs to be added to many of the surfaces otherwise the item will hang on the tool face or stretch when ejected, take a look around you and you will see this draft on most plastic products, unfortunately I now see it on nearly everything I look at.

Flow – To enable the molten plastic to inject evenly throughout the tool especially on sharp corners some time flow lines or thickened surfaces need to be added to the tool and as some flow issues are not discovered until the tool is actually used much of this tweaking is done on the physical tool. Which in most cases will require the tool to be pulled out of the injection machine, which due to the shear size of everything is in itself a time consuming affair, however some minor correction can be done with the tool in place.

Gates – For slots and holes, gates need to be designed into the tool, these pull out as the tool ejects.

Water Channels – To cool the tool water channels pass throughout the tool face, these channels have a major impact on where other tooling components such as gates, injectors/manifold, ejection pins and guide pins are to be located.

From CAD you move onto the physical tools, these are huge and weigh several tonnes (metric tons), each component being machined from big (and expensive) slabs of tooling steel, the piece my project was machined from (which required two tools) was about 5 tonne or (5000 kg or 11000 pounds), with much of the tooling also done by hand.

Following are some images from this project of the tools, the injection machine and an example of the results of insufficient flow and pressure.

SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Spudkopf,

Great explanation. You have a huge mold there. Our injection machines are not quite as nice and BIG. We are greatly limited by the size of our injections. I will be back later to comment more. I have got to run.

I really stopped by to tell Mr. Murphy thank you. I just got your email. I have responded. Thanks again,

Spudkopf, I also have gotten your emails regarding the Pantone paint codes. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I will write soon I promise. Things have been a bit crazy around here.

Regards,
Jason

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:39 pm

Spudkopf

If you don't mind my asking, what you've shown is very impressive, but what did you show in the end? Speaking as a Yankinized Canuck, those trays look like very large McDonald's 'fry boxes.

I know they're not!! And I don't intend to marginalize what you've shown us, I just can't figure out what they are.
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:21 pm

Spudkopf

After rereading through your post, I now realize those are imperfect moldings, (old timers disease, anyone?). Still, what were they supposed to be?
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:17 am

Jason of Admiral Toys wrote:Spudkopf,

Great explanation. You have a huge mold there. Our injection machines are not quite as nice and BIG. We are greatly limited by the size of our injections. I will be back later to comment more. I have got to run.

I really stopped by to tell Mr. Murphy thank you. I just got your email. I have responded. Thanks again,

Spudkopf, I also have gotten your emails regarding the Pantone paint codes. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I will write soon I promise. Things have been a bit crazy around here.

Regards,
Jason
Thanks Jason

Yes it is quite a large tool and a really big machine as well, however it was found that the machine pictured above was in fact to small for the job, as it did not have enough pressure to allow a consistent flow throughout the mould and there was also a risk of blowing the mould, even after a lot of extra flow lines had been Dremeled in it was still not up to the task, so our tool had to be moved to an even :shock: larger :shock: machine.

I am very interested in hearing a little more about your tooling, seeing as I do a fare amount of CAD work myself these days I am always interested as to learn more of the technical aspects of what goes on behind the scenes as well.

About the Pantone paint codes, no sweat I’ve had some hectic days lately as well and I know how things can just get away from you, look forward to hearing from you soon.
chunks wrote:Spudkopf

After rereading through your post, I now realize those are imperfect moldings, (old timers disease, anyone?). Still, what were they supposed to be?
G’day Chunks

Not a problem at all, I work for Rinnai who among other things make those tankless water heaters, in an effort to reduce the appliance’s foot print on exterior walls some customers choose to embed the appliance and the pipe fittings inside a box which is then recessed into the wall, in the past this recess box has been made from galvanised sheet steel, but after some research it was found that to produce the same item out of plastic would be more cost effective even with the initial design and tooling costs factored in.

In short the recess box is basically just like a big plastic storage box, I will post some images of both the CAD model and the final product when I get back into work tomorrow.
SPUD

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:42 pm

Here are those promised CAD and finished product images.

The CAD screen captures were taken about half way through the project and some tweaking of the air vents to soften the look was made before the virtual tooling commenced.

The interesting thing about this project is that the design, steel supply and plastic manufacturing were all sourced locally (in Melbourne, Australia) and even after getting quotes from China we still found the local suppliers to very competitively priced. Supply is never an issue, but best of all if we have do ever have a problem the manufactures are just 10 minutes down the road.
SPUD

Juneau@1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Is Admiral done with tanks?

Post by Juneau@1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:53 pm

Jason,
Just wondering if Admiral has given up on tanks. The Panzer III with skirts has been due for a long time, but has yet to make an apperance. Also, no information or picture since the toy fair which seems like a long time ago. I was really looking forward to the Japanese tank, the M10, 88, and Crusader.
Thanks,
Eric

C00per
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by C00per » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:59 am

Hi Jason,
any news on the White 7 Me262 yet?

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Charlemagne » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:07 pm

C00per wrote:Hi Jason,
any news on the White 7 Me262 yet?
Yeah, I would like to know about that and the Dauntless.

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Dear admiral

Post by EnemyAce » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:50 pm

I would like to suggest that you consider entering the 144 scale market. There are a lot of vehicles that have never been done in prepainted plastic or metal before, and I think they would be big sellers.

Vehicles such as the US:

M10/36
Pershing
Stuart
Chaffee
LVT

British

Cromwell
Churchill
Matilda
various Cruisers
Comet
Universal Carrier
Humber/AEC/Daimler/Staghound Armored Cars

German

222, 234 "puma" and variants, and 6-wheeled armored cars
250 halftrack series
38t Grille
Wespe & Bison SPGs
various unarmored hts

Anything Italian,

L6
M13
Semoventes

Russian

SU-85 & 100,
T-26
BT series

French eary war models.

Just a thought, as the main players seemed to have cooled down recently.

Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi Jason,
Are there any SBD Dauntless pictures you could show us? I know that model is going to be a beauty.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:50 am

Jason,

Hows the SBD coming along? Will we see it anytime soon?

:?:
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:19 pm

Hello Members,

I returned from China recently and wanted to stop by and say hi. I can tell you that all projects are moving forward at this time, with the exception of the F4. I will not discuss times of deliver on any projects except for those that I know are on their way.

The White 7 will be here in a couple of weeks. It has been on the water for awhile now. The White 7 is just about sold out already, so if you like this particular paint scheme, I would advise you to jump on one. We did not have a lot produced, if I remember correctly, less then 1,000 will be in the US. Accompanying the White 7 is the Panzer III M. Those that have been waiting on the M model in 1:72 scale must wait only a couple more weeks before it hits the retailers.

What did I look at while I was in China? One aircraft I can discuss is the Skyraider in 1:18. This aircraft will be very nice. We have placed every working airbrake on this model! Yes, all three airbrakes will open on this aircraft. The flaps will open like the real aircraft. They rotate/slide on a curve and look nice. The wings will fold. This is a pretty big deal. If you have seen a Skyraider loaded with all the goodies under the wings, you know there will be a lot of weight to support. We will make it so the wings do not sag. There are a couple of secrets about this aircraft we will be trying; that I feel will knock your socks off.

The SBD had a major full body lift while I was in China, pun intended. We revisited the SBD after discussions on this board brought to our attention the squatty stance of our model. You will be happy to know that this has been remedied. We liked the stance of the original, but you buy them so we fix them. It took a full wing, strut, wheel and tire retooling. So if you do not like how it stands now… I give up! No, I do not have photos of the new SBD; this was all done on computer and is now in final tooling. I will not speculate on a date of delivery. Sooner then later is my hopes and expectations.

I also discussed our new line of cars. But you do not want to hear about this.

I also discussed our line of home products. But you are not interested in this.

I looked at a new line of toys/collectables. I will discuss this later; more then likely on a different website. You might be interested, might not. It is still too early to discuss it openly.

I have news for those that have been waiting on the Hartmann CL-13. It is approved and is in production now. We are only producing about 1,000 models for the US. We will not raise the price on these models. So you should get a pretty good deal on a pretty limited model. It looks very nice and will have the nicest paint on any F-86/CL-13 to date. We have put a lot into our silver painting process.

Along with the Hartman will be the El Diablo F-86. This aircraft is a very cool looking F-86 that will have the most expensive paint job to date. Once again, this aircraft will be produced in very limited numbers. Probably less then 1,000 will come to the US. I would jump on this one. I know people will like the paint on this one.

Here is a side profile of the El Diablo F-86:

Hope you have a happy holiday season.
Regards,
Jason

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:27 pm

He's alive!!!

Great news on the upcoming aircraft and armor--thank you much for the updates! Thanks for keeping us in the loop--it is always greatly appreciated!
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:18 pm

Man, that is nice!!! So glad to hear from from you Jason!

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Hi Jason, great to hear from you. That is awesome news on the Skyraider. That will be a beauty. And yes........more F-86 models!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:47 pm

...and here I thought Admiral Toys had been killed off!

Glad to hear from you, Jason, and good to know progress is being made. I am eager to add the Dauntless to my collection!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks for the news!!
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:08 pm

Thank you for the news! I was pleased to hear about the features on the Sky Raider, and the retooling of the SBD. I eagerly await these 1/18 aircraft. 8)

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:27 pm

Thank you for the news Jason. I know the SBD and Skyraider are going to be above and beyond what we've seen in this hobby when they are released.

Hope you and the gang at Admiral Toys had a great Thanksgiving!!!
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

digger

wow

Post by digger » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:33 pm

Awesome news..the A-1 is just such an awesome AC that any improvements are just gravy on what we have seen so far. I really can't wait for that one..

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:11 am

The A-1 LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!