BBI - Blue Box Toys Information Q&A (Mike)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Morian Miner » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:07 pm

I wonder if they have to get corporate approval on the armaments like the have to for the vehicles. That would be cool - to do accessory packs to customize an A-10.

For figures, how about for both modern and WWII some ground crews? Or just a generic soldier in T-shirts that can be customized into how many different figures? Or maybe a female figure to diversify the ranks?

And for a second choice on modern aircraft (I just have a hunch the first choice is an A-10), how about an F22 or JSF?

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:35 pm

aferguson wrote:Mike has asked me to set up a poll/survey type deal for ideas on future figure releases......one for modern, one for WWII. I'll get started on that in the next couple of days, once i figure out the best way to approach it. So for all who are saying 'more figures, more figures' you'll have a chance to, perhaps, influence BBI a bit.

Right now i think i'm going to approach it by having a thread of open discussion of ideas for a few days and then take the most common requests from that thread and put them in the form of a poll. As i said i'll do it in the next couple of days when i have some more time and can mull over the approach a bit.
EXCELLENT!! We've also gotta add that the future figures include the type of articulation found on their new paratroopers...and a bit more articulation wouldn't be bad either! Can't wait Aferguson!

mwanz
Corporal
Corporal

GAU-8 (A-10) cannon on new BBI packaging

Post by mwanz » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:38 pm

I will admit --within the context of my last post-- this will be ridiculously reading between the lines...

Has anyone noticed that the packaging of the new Corsair has the exposed panel of the A-10's GAU-8 30mm Avenger Cannon? Forshadowing or just a coincidence?

I can't hide my preference: this would be a hard act to follow if they did an A-10. Between a HIND "someday" and the slim (?) prospect of an A-10, I'd go crazy waiting...
Currenly reading: "Armegeddon" by Max Hastings

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:59 pm

Let's hope that it's not a "slim" chance on the A-10. :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:51 pm

More feedback from Mike..

Mike wrote:

"Hi Andrew,
I am gratified by the responses from your people and most of all their attitude. My compliments to all of them.

Now for a few more responses.

For Holensock.

Thanks for the compliments and you have it "exactly right" when it comes to the Target line.
As for 1:18 articulation...just like our 1/6 line we are continually working on ways to improve the movement and life like appearance of the figure. Of course it is a lot more difficult in the smaller scale but you can be assured we are looking at it.

For Mwanz.

I totally agree with your comments. And yes..not knowing what is next is part of the fun...and just another reason why I will not do anything to spoil that.

As for the "conjecture" that goes on...I have no problem with that at all and can see how the thought process works...it is always said that where there is any lack of information or fact then rumor and conjecture will arise to fill the vacuum.
My purpose is not to curtail that and I will be as vague as I need to be in many cases and respond with total silence in others. I will however, set the record straight where there are glaring instances of mis-information.

We thank you for your support and look forward to and encourage your "flights of fancy" on the board.

For Compfire.

The F1-6 has not been in production for some months now but a run is commencing almost as I write this...so standby...it is worth the wait....even Lockheed Martin were impressed.

for Birddog and Digger

let me add a few comments on box size...some of what you say is correct but in the end we can fit a whole lot of stuff into a given box size, but the question is ...how will it look?
It is a lot about appearance for on shelf display...even our F/A-18 could be in a smaller box if we just wanted to produce the item in the smallest cube possible...but it would look awful and almost impossible to distinguish what it is. It would then need to be in a closed box and that is not a good way to offer this product.

I think you can get the picture."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:51 pm

"For Morian Miner

I think I mentioned previously that approvals an licenses are extremely complex issues and one I would not cover in depth.
The question of ordinance is the same.
In some of our 1/6 figures there are up to 10 approvals/ license agreements....so I'll leave it up to your imagination on an aircraft."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:00 pm

Mike wrote:

"Here is one I missed, apologies.

for p51

On the topic of rotors and landing gear sagging or drooping.
Unfortunately the large rotor blades will droop after a time, I might add that this also happens on the real thing, but they have the option of folding them back into a bunch for storage and occasionally getting them to rotate at a few thousand rpm which no doubt straightens them out. We have found that the time taken seems to vary with the climate but this is not much use to any of us...for our showroom items we just remove them for a day or so and they flatten out on their own. We are looking at the material for new production but no promises, it may remain a problem with such a long thin part.

On the undercarriage of the jets, this was identified early on and these are heavy models, we have changed the material to try to avoid this problem and my advice is much the same as above, just give it a "rest" from time to time and flex it back into shape, it is tough and can take some harsh treatment.

Philosophically, such beautiful birds were meant to fly around with the gear up, not sit on their wheels all day."

On a personal note i have used a blow dryer to heat the blades on my Apache and bend them to look more elevated, as though in flight. I did this several months ago and i can see now they are sagging again so i will need to do it again. I just look at it as regular maintainance, like on the real bird.

My F-16 has been sitting on it's u/c for several months now with no discernable sagging. The F-18 began to sag after just a few days, however.

And yes these aircraft are tough. A year ago my Apache's fishing line broke and it fell five feet onto a hardwood floor. All that happened was that some ordnance was knocked off. Nothing broken or cracked.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:11 pm

Mike wrote:

"Yes Andrew...as per your addendum to my email, the F-16 incorporates the revised material from day one, it is the earlier F-18's that have the sag issue, but later ones were revised.

As for the "drop test"...it has to pass a few from us too."

bluesparrow
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bluesparrow » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:14 pm

Here is the link to the article about "future military" line: http://www.figures.com/databases/action ... rticle=178

And here is a gallery of the figures and vehicles shown at fall Toy Fair 2004: http://69.93.119.2/photo/1/showgallery.php?cat=1879

All are extremely cool, imo.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I get the picture on appearance and appeal. If the plane is considered a sellable aircraft but will rquire larger packaging to make it appealing (than say the F-18), would that aircraft still be produced?

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:23 pm

I'm wondering if these future figures would more likely be seen in the Target line. It looks like the good guys shown were kitbashed with SW figure heads, the Target Elite Force bodies, and the regular elite force legs. If I'm not mistaken, the other bad guy looks like a heavily modified snow trooper, and the other is one of the cantina aliens. Still think it would be a cool series.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:31 pm

Mike wrote:

"for bluesparrow.

Thanks for this...now I know what you are referring to.

Jim Dolan from figures.com has a way with words and spinning the images.
These were shown not as a "planned release" as stated but as a private presentation for a totally different purpose and not for general public release.
Some companies do not allow photos from their showroom..we like to be friendly and thus we allow photos but we don't provide the copy that goes along with the images....like I said before " in the absence of the right info...." "

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:34 pm

Mike wrote:

"for birddog

Yes birddog, most are commercial in this world of manufacturing. If a manufacturer thinks they can recover their development costs and sell sufficient to make a profit then size should not be a barrier.

Caterpillar make some very large bulldozers and Airbus just came up with that 380 monster...all you need is customers that are prepared to pay the price and a willing manufacturer.
Of course the retail channel is another topic."

bluesparrow
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bluesparrow » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:11 pm

Thank you for the response, as depressing as it is. :(

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

re

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:28 pm

Mike it is GREAT to have you here! In one weekend alone you have given all of us good glimpses into the future and a better understanding of how things work.I have always loved it when company represenatives/workers came by to talk to fans...brings the company closer to home!

As far as fitting an F-14 into a box and still making it presentable...

I feel it would have to be packed flat with the wings swept back, and the vertical stabilizers placed either behind it or on the sides of the box. That way the box would be a little bit longer than others, but THINNER and more displayable as well! Kind of like how the Power team F-18 is displayed in box. In this case as well, the F-14 box could be displayed either standing OR flat....standing it would resemble the Power team box with a birds eye view...on it's side granted there is a side box window, it would look like how the BBI F-/A-18 is displayed.

Being that northrop grumman gave you guys the approval to make the A-10 for Command Force, I am almost sure they would give you the rights to make an F-14...which would seem to have less license approvals basically since Grumman made it...the A-10 was made by Fairchild which was bought out or something by northrop grumman.

I have been wondering this for the longest time. We know WWII birds sell...and so do modern jets. But how about Vietnam era jets? Is there any interest in making those? So far noone has made a 1/18 realistic vietnam era bird. The phantom with minimal retools per release could be repainted several times.....1 per service branch in the USA, PLUS the many other dozens of countries that use and still use the venerable phantom today. Not to mention people would want repaints per US service branch for ex:(Blue angels F-4, VF-92 cunningham, thunderbirds, Steve Ritche's bird, USMC danang). Therefore in my opinion the phantom could potentially make a lot of money. Add to the organizations of vets who might request specialized repaints as well. The list goes on, that bird had more variations and weapons than any other fighter I can count.
I would love to see an F-8 since I feel it is overlooked. And an A-4 Skyhawk! The skyhawk is small...not as popular as the phantom but just as important. And the repaints for that....around the world are numerous.

Now what if BBI DID do a Tomcat....would BBI do a special repaint to commemorate a plane's retirement? Like some Navy squadrons do?*(VF-32 vintage colors, et al)*. I'm not trying to get ahead of myself....but just trying to see if it is possible. Commemorative planes usually have some real nice special color schemes.

I hear it is pretty difficult to obtain licenses from Boeing, was it difficult to get approval to make the F/A-18 toy? Has there been interest in making a USMC 2 seat F/A-18D night fighter or navy Super hornet?

Since Lockheed is impressed with the F-16 that BBI did....have they suggested you guys make a JSF(wow there could be 3 variants right there!) and F-22?

We know there are planes in demand....high demand from BBI on the wishlists. 2 of them that come to mind are the F-14 and A-10(from hat I have read over the past 2 years even on gijoe boards...and on macrossworld!). Of the F-14 and A-10...which of these 2 have you seen the the highest demand for?

And lastly...I might be in the minority here, but I like the command force A-10 a lot. Are there more planes planned for this line? I use them for my gijoe figures....and I like the "non scale" for it. The A-10 is big and fun to play with. Could we potentially see a command force F-16 and F-14? Hasbro did make gijoe versions of the F-14, A-10, F-16, F-22, SAAB Draken, and YF-23)*respectively skystriker, rattler/thunderbolt, ghost striker, thunderwing, liquidator, storm eagle*. The Command Force A-10 has a lot of similar gimmicks to the recent gijoe F-22 thunderwing. Does BBI plan to make command force versions of any of the above planes in an effort to outdo hasbro?
(you guys are filling the void WELL..I am really excited for more command force aircraft! :) )

And a slightly OT bonus question. Now there are things that everyone wants to make but due to sales, seasons, or timing, can't make just yet. What plane does the BBI team really really really want to make?
(Kind of like if they had trillions of dollars to sculpt and tool any plane they want, which one would it be?) :D

Once again thank you for coming by!
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:48 pm

I hope bbi has plans to do some more odd ball subjects. Don't get me wrong---the big has been very impressive. But, I am talking more along the lines of a P-39. I hope it is clear what I am getting at---something aimed at the collector/older market with a deeper knowledge, but not something that is completely crazy an odd. I guess bbi has proved their willing to take risks with the big birds---I am just wondering if it will carry on out to the more exotic birds.
Aaron

kevrut

bbi

Post by kevrut » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:05 pm

Quixote, would a PBY Catalina be considered exotic?

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:23 pm

Some input from one of the more minor markets for BBI. I have seen a fair bit of 1/6th BBI here in NZ. With all the 1/18th stuff coming out, I called a BBI stockist /store to see if any BBI 1/18th would be available here.
Unfortunately I was told that there is no longer a local importer for BBI.
That sure is disappointing, maybe our market just isn't big enough.
I do have a couple of model industry importers/contacts in mind that BBI could talk to here if they wanted to pursue this market and try to secure another importer. :roll:
Neville

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

to MIKE

Post by 75th Ranger » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:47 am

To: MIKE

Hey buddy, you are always welcome to come have some MRE "Chocolate Beverage powder Coccoa" with the grunts in the field! hahaha!!! :D

By the way, i got a whole box of Paratroopers and 2 F-4 planes.

Vietnam figures i would really like to see, playsets i would really like to see, Ranger figures modern & WWII i would like too see.
so hopefully when you guys can realease your items according to the "secret timeline" then I would try to buy them.

Updating the website is most! at least place the new itmes pics on the old one!

also the bbi club idea that used to send an emaail with a pic of upcoming items was pretty nice, so keep doing that if possible if not please place pics of upcoming items on this site!

thanks!
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:51 am

Mike wrote:

"for Shin Densetsu

Wow! you are quite a typist!

First up, thanks for the tips and be assured we know how to get an F-14 into a box...and that does not mean we have an F-14...just if we did have one.

As for the rights from Grumman...like I said previously we already have the rights to many modern and WWII aircraft, so once again you just have to wait and see what we do.

And yes the Phanton, Skyhawk and others from the Vietnam era are great subjects too...once again ..wait and see.

Commemorative schemes are actually neat to look at but less saleable than other individual schemes...for example the Blur Angels and Thunderbirds...we have done one already and we have the Falcon.

And yes Lockheed has asked the same question...how about the JSF and the Raptor?
We tell them the same thing...wait and see.

Our relationship with Boeing is excellent ( I love flying mine too) they are the licensor for our P-51 Mustang, Hornet and the Apache and used to be for the Little Bird. We are not planning the Super Hornet as it is too close to our existing bird and no 2 seat version either. If we do another a/c with a Boeing trademark it will not be another Hornet.

In terms of demand and what is higher...well....we are not telling.

Glad you like the Target line and thanks for the kind remarks...it will be growing in January but not before.
We are not trying to outdo Hasbro as you suggest ...just provide product for a market where there is demand.

Some retailers say that "military" is not in demand...others prove that it is.

As for the trillion dollar question you asked...let me see...how about the XB-70 Valkyrie, the XB-35 Northrop Flying Wing or the B-36 Peacemaker and the B-29 Super Fortress...all gorgeous subjects.

I just love looking at the "six pack " on the Valkyrie.

for Quixote511.

On "oddballs"...same answer...wait and see.

for Tankduel.

Thanks for the comments...NZ has been a reluctant player for us and we have tried to get it going through various channels with many disappointments.
Minor markets are important too.

We are aware there is demand there but seems most companies that are interested in our products can't manage to raise and order.
We would welcome any approach for a serious distributor there.
One issue is meeting minimum order requirements for shipping ...but I can help there as we can ship it from the Australian distributor as they carry inventory.

So bring em on! I'm happy to talk with them."

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Forgot to mention

Post by 75th Ranger » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:59 am

I forgot to mention what i ment by other countries:

Mike, i wouldl ike to see the figs like the British, and any other country figures that bbi have made available in the US.
Items like armor and planes too.
For example:

A more detaile "british desert rats" figure set ( i mean accurate uniforms and weapons), with a Challenger tank, and a land rover...something of that nature, if possible....same for other countries....another example: Israeli Defense Army...many of the items you already make would just need a new paint job only....

Since bbi figures are so realistic a Vietnam series would be amazing!!!....i i know a lot of us here would buy them by boxes!
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:29 am

This is for Mike:

First of all Mike so far I have loved what you guys have put out with your P-51 Mustang "Killer" and the new Corsair (going to be getting one soon!). The detail and so fourth on these 2 WW 2 fighters has been outstanding, keep up the great work.

The question I have for you is this: Recently bbi teamed up with Bad Cat on the exclusive repaints of the P-51 Mustangs "Hurry Home Honey" and "Cripes A Mighty The 3rd". Some were saying that the markings on both Mustangs were underscale which means that they were more the size of 1/24th scale then 1/18th. Well for some reason bbi delayed the release of these two repaints until Sept 16th. The question I have for you is was this done to correct that problem? Or is bbi going to add a feature to them like that of the 21st Century re-tool P-51?

I ask this because I was a little upset to find they delayed the Mustang repaints until Sept, I'm really looking forward to "Hurry Home Honey".

That being said keep up the good work Mike and thanks for stopping in to answer questions. In closing Mike tell bbi to PLEASE release a 1/18th scale F6F Hellcat because I want one so darn bad!

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:44 am

Mike wrote:

"For 75th Ranger.

Thanks for the suggestions...your comments on the Brits, Vietnam, etc are well noted.

On the topic of the bbi club..we still do it but we get about 1,000 returned because of spam filters...so it does not always get through depending on your ISP.

So keep that cocoa hot and I'll be there."

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:51 am

On the retailer story, is this a reason why no one saw the F-16 in Toys R' Us? Is it going to be picked up by them with this new production run? I have two and they are incredible. The option of being able to customize your F-16 to a particular unit was great. One of mine is the Texas ANG from my home state. On a business trip into Austin I was able to get an up close look at an F-16 from that particular ANG unit, a real treat. Kudos to BBI for making that option.

Once again thanks for the input.
Last edited by Birddog on Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digger

Cool

Post by digger » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:10 am

Mike, I must admit it's just so good to know more is to come, I really don't need the details. :P

Shin Densetsu wrote:
"So far noone has made a 1/18 realistic vietnam era bird."
- The F-104 is the best 1:18 AC made, and flew over VN. Take note - it does not display well with other Jets - it is that well done.

As for the "future," and other Sci-Fi - absolutely no love here. I don't want you guys wasting time on that when there is no Red Army, DAK soldiers, etc.... :wink: