BBI - Blue Box Toys Information Q&A (Mike)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
JoeS
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JoeS » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:26 am

Hello Mike,

I'm sorry to bother you with another question. I'm based here in the UK and BBi products are few and far between. I'd love to get a P-51 Killer or a Kiowa, any ideas of whether distribution here in the Uk will improve? I do have the F-18 and F-16, the Apache, Blackhawk and Littlebird all sourced locally. But the Mustang and the Kiowa have not been available, and this applies to the new Corsair.

Many thanks and thanks again for all the valuable information you have supplied, very much appreciated.

Regards

Joe.

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:27 am

Yeah-- I would consider a PBY Cat to be more exotic. And, Mike, you should know that bbi has me hook, line, and sinker---so I am more than willing to wait and see.
Aaron

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:08 am

The F1-6 has not been in production for some months now but a run is commencing almost as I write this...so standby...it is worth the wait....even Lockheed Martin were impressed.
Son of a B. I've been holding out for a really long time (in Collector-years) an finally just ordered Wolf. If I had only waited a tad longer!

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

re

Post by Shin Densetsu » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:29 am

Mike, thanks so much for answering my questions! I'm surprised at how fast your answers came and the detailed explanations,,, bravo man!

You said the command force line will grow in january, and not before. Now will the wave with the A-10 be it for now until january? Or did BBI already have other vehicles and figures ready that have not made it to target shelves yet? (aka like a wave 2 onroute from hong kong on a boat right now).

As far as command force....are we going to be getting sneak peaks of stuff before january>? If so, when and where? How about the elite force stuff...any sneak peeks for that?

Now for 1/18 realistic stuff....planes sell. Its been proven, and your line is doing pretty well in my eyes. Does this mean more big planes(A-10 or larger/20$+ price point) are planned later in the pipeline for command force?

Since the F/A-18 has had numerous production runs and some limited colors, will another run be produced for the holiday season or later 2005, early 2006? Also...since the wright patterson AFB sells the F-16..how about other major bases like Langley AFB(home of the 1st TFW!)?
What about the Navy exchange....did they express interest in selling the BBI F/A-18 for x mas season?*They usually do an aisle reset in fall called "toyland" for the upcoming x mas season and get more toys*.

I am amazed and very happy that Lockheed suggested the raptor and JSF. Did Northrop Grumman feel the same way?

And what are the chances of Northrops "paper airplanes" making it to 1/18 scale?
(YF-17, F-20, YF-23, etc).

I figure since Mcdonnal Douglass worked on the YF-23...and is owned by Boeing, and you guys get along with Boeing rather well, and that Northrop also worked on the YF-23.......... :)

I think the YF-17 looks more different than a hornet than the super hornet as well.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:48 pm

Should this be made a sticky so that it dosen't get shuffled out of sight?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:55 pm

i can't imagine this thread would get shuffled out of site....but it's sticky anyway.

I know there's zero chance but i would LOVE a YF-23 in 1/18. I was crushed the day the YF-22 won the competition.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:01 pm

Mike wrote:

"for JoeS

Thanks for the comments.
Corgi is acting as our distributor for the UK and they are presently "re-modeling " themselves under their new management to be more of a toy company and less a diecast collector company.
This activity has impacted on our business with them and additionally they are reluctant to take products which are not in British livery...one would think that with their background in all nations diecast they would know better...but what can I say?
We are discussing matters with them and all I can say is hang in thee for now and hope it improves.

for Quixote511

We will start to reel you in then

for Shin Densetsu

On the Target line...same comment as the regular stuff.."wait and see'.

And no we will not preview the Target line on our site...our site is not for exclusive retailer product such as the Target line.

In sale to US bases...we sell lots through AAFES ( Army AirForce Exchange Services) so many base gift shops carry our stuff...also many museums and un-usual places...we are always looking to broaden our distribution.

Our relationships with all our licensors are excellent..Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, AM Corp, etc, etc and they all love our product execution.

On all the aircraft you mentioned...thanks for the input and as before "wait and see" "

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:03 pm

for Mighty Mustang

On Cripes Amighty and Hurry Home Honey, the story is a complex one.
Firstly all your people have seen is the hand prototype images and I always cringe if these are released as they are never right...they are a Work In Progress.
But they do get released and your boys get out their microscopes and start fault finding..unfortunate but that is what happens.
Sometime these images are needed for product promotion such as the Mike wrote:

"BadCat website so these images need to be released so this is unavoidable.
Can I ask that everybody please wait until they see the actual production of these two birds to see just how accurate we got it...then I'm happy to take any and all flak. I'll try to get an up-dated image for you all soon.
The delays you mention are caused by us being so busy...remember 1:18 is not all we do.

for Birddog

Retailers are retailers...sometimes they can't see the trees for the forest.
I have an opinion that the retailers shelves are full of products that the buyers "think" consumers want...but it ain't necessarily so.

TRU did not take the F-16 as they had the F-18.."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:06 pm

Mike has a question for the board:

"To all,
I note all your aircraft requests on the boards and specifically the WWII ones where the Avenger and others keep coming up....but I see no mention anywhere of one of the great workhorses of the Pacific Theatre.

the Dauntless....did you guys forget about it,or is it "un-loved"? "

hm.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:43 pm

Hi Mike,

I think sometimes we get so busy "cheerleading" our favorites that we forget about all the other aircraft that we would like to have. Personally, I would really love to see a Dauntless made especially in a battle of Midway scheme. I would definately buy one.

fredricchio
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by fredricchio » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:03 pm

Yeah, even if its not something you see mentioned much here, I think its safe to assume that just about any aircraft that 21st Century hasn't made yet would be well received by the board :wink:

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm

Well Hell Yeah---do you think I would refuse a good WWII warbird? My dad had a 1/4 scale R/C one when I was a kid; man, it was smokin' with all the flaps and bomb shackles. Honestly, I have never asked for one because I figured it would be pooh-poohed. It would be neat to see in 1:18 with the shackles, flaps, and the rear gunner's cockpit. Build it, and I will buy.
Aaron

digger

Well

Post by digger » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:09 pm

We never asked b/c it is similar to the Avenger and we've been awaiting that....but now since your offering.... :D

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:31 pm

Mike,

You're really messing with us!!! I think you could say you are coming out with a Cessna trainer, and we would go nuts.

Man, a Midway dioramma with a Zero taking out the incoming Avenger at the wavetops, while the Dauntless comes in over the top......hooo hooo my junk room ain't big enough!

And would a YF-23 get any love if you painted it black and called it an "Area-51 special", since there's still rumors of them flying out there? Now that's REALLY dreaming.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:42 pm

Mike, thank you for your responses. By the way did I say I wanted an A-10! Just got the Corsair, and it is great. I was wondering if the pilot is supposed to be "Pappy" Boyington. I know you may not be able to say but maybe you could give us a hint.
Thanks,
Todd
PS. I would like just about any 1:18 plane modern or WWII

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:49 pm

Mike wrote:

"For Morian Miner

Actually I would like to do a Cessna 150, 172 and 182 as well as a Piper Cherokee...but not in 1:18 scale...there is a very large General Aviation community out there that operate these birds and there are no decent models available for them with either good detail or reasonable price...one day!

for Digger

I was "asking" not "offering" "

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:53 pm

aferguson wrote:Mike wrote:

And yes Lockheed has asked the same question...how about the JSF and the Raptor?
We tell them the same thing...wait and see.
I love this quote. Gave me a chuckle when I read it.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:57 pm

Mike wrote:

"for Doc Todd

Thanks for the nice comment on our U-bird...as for the pilot figure looking like Pappy...do you really think so?

And yes I heard about the A-10"

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

re

Post by Shin Densetsu » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:09 pm

Mike, I am in Virgina, (richmond for college, but home is virginia beach). Now my little brother LOVES going to Langley and the AAFES places within driving distance, and sometimes I come along. Can you confirm if the Langley AFB, and Ft. Eustis base gift shops or BX's carry BBI stuff? What about the Air and Space center in Hampton(which coincidentally enough is near Hampton..and also has an IMAX theater).

We usually see collectable stuff like dragon's products in the toy section. However I will admit we rarely step into the base giftshops...but all I saw there was books, patches, mugs, statues, wood carved models, plaques, postcards and the like.

Some gijoe fans I talk to want to know, will the paint jobs on the command force figures be cleaner on future figures?

As for the black skull F/A-18 on amazon....is it a limited release, or another full production run? I want to know so I can try sparing some funds for it.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:20 pm

Mike,
This is great to have an ear to bend with our questions. We really appreciate your attention.

I just got some of the paratroopers and am very impressed with what BBI has done. The amount of items per figure is incredible! The level of detail on the faces and uniforms were outstanding. A very fine figure it is.

on another thought:
Do you think BBI would create a contest for the BBI fans?? (Giveaways, proof of purchase points, sweepstakes or whatever)

21st Century has started a few this year and generated more interest in the hobby.
Just curious.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:21 pm

Mike wrote:

"for Shin Densetsu

With regard to the specific locations you mentioned I would need to check with our US sales people..I am not in sales so even though I have an overview I am not acquainted with specifics as in your query.
Having said that, there would still be no guarantee that us selling them means they have it in stock when you get there...best advice is to call them directly before you head out.

The quality issues with the Target figures has been well noted and subsequent shipment shave been closely monitored...we thank you all for your comments and feedback on this matter.

On the big black bird...you have time to save up for one."

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:39 pm

aferguson wrote:Mike has a question for the board:

"To all,
I note all your aircraft requests on the boards and specifically the WWII ones where the Avenger and others keep coming up....but I see no mention anywhere of one of the great workhorses of the Pacific Theatre.

the Dauntless....did you guys forget about it,or is it "un-loved"? "

hm.

Mike please dont tease me about the Dauntless because if bbi did make one of those for us 1/18th collectors I would go nuts! Besides the Hellcat this IS one of the birds I would like to see get done with out question. So if its in the works or bbi is thinking of doing a Dauntless I say BRING IT because I'll buy it.

As for the repaints of "Cripes" and "Hurry Home Honey"? I'll wait to see the final product and I'm sure bbi will get the schemes right. I just cant wait to get "Hurry Home Honey" but patients is a virtue and I'm sure I'll be happy with it just like I was with "Killer".

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

BBI Information

Post by donnieboy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:59 pm

To Aferguson: Thanks so much for taking the time to put BBI's Mike Murphy in touch with the board, and to act as a go-between. Thanks Ferg! :)
To Mike Murphy: Thanks for putting in the time answering our endless questions, Mike! I realize it's not my heiney on the line if a new model doesn't sell, but I honestly think any WWII, VietNam, or modern warbird you'd care to make would be scarfed up in droves. Especially if it were a really hot fighter or stalwart workhorse! Just stay away from the "planes of shame" lineup (Brewster Buffalo, Boulton-Paul Defiant, etc.).
Go Starbuck!

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:13 pm

Ya know--we have all pretty much say here yjumping our chests that we would buy about anything, myself included, but let us not forget the Air America Huey debacle. It was kind of cool, and I am sure most of us have one. But, there were a lot of hard feelings on the board hedging towards saying 21st dropped the ball. I think that is what makes the survey a good idea, getting the feedback from the unwashed masses that we are.
Aaron

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:38 am

-On BBI Paratrooper Figures...

While I think they're nice for what they are, I'm still disappointed with the removable vests and harnesses. This limits the use of the figure in my opinion, at least from a diorama point of view. Is there a possibility that the BBI Paratrooper's will be put out without the chute/harness/vest at some point? For those who want a version of them suited for combat after ditching the gear and all.

Thanks, and thanks for acting as liason officer here Aferg, it's been a bit of work for you it seems.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!