BBI - Blue Box Toys Information Q&A (Mike)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:54 am

Mike wrote:

"For mccarthy1028

Seems to me I have seen exactly that post before…ok so there is that old saying “never say never”…but let me tell you that a 1/18 scale Tomcat is a VERY big piece and whilst I would personally love to see it happen I seriously doubt it ever will…but like I said earlier…never say never."
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

mccarthy1028
Corporal
Corporal

Thanks

Post by mccarthy1028 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:19 am

Thank you for your response, I'll keep hoping for a F-14 in 1:18 since the US government seems like they are going to trash and scrap all the old F-14's...Such a shame, but BBi should really consider the sales and potential profits from such an aircraft...You have so many versions available, you can even make a Tom Cruise Figure Call Sign Maverick "Top Gun" special edition...Don't forget about Goose either...and about my second question, are there any plans for another F-18 Blue Angels re-release...It would be nice to honor our fallen Blue Angel Pilot, Lt. Cmdr. Kevin J. Davis...Pilot who crashed in the #6 Blue Angel on April 21, 2007...Thank you for your response and your time...
-MIKE-

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:37 pm

I'm sure all of us here can assume the F-14 has been discussed in internal meetings by all three 18 scale makers at some point and maybe some are still discussing it for the future. And it is also easy to assume that the one aspect of the Tomcat discussed in these meetings that most likely has caused, is causing, or will cause either a delayed release or decision not make one at all is the swing wing. Do we package the thing with the main wings permanently attached or not would be the resulting question.
I don't think size will no longer be the issue holding the Tomcat back. The B-25 is a little larger than the Turkey and the F-4 is very close in length (although shorter wingspan) to the F-14. If these two announced release birds see light and sell well, then the chance for the Tomcat to be produced by somebody increases.

BBI has already made two modern warbirds (although a little smaller than the Tomcat) and packaged them very efficiently in small enough packaging. They have the capability to do the same for the Tomcat.
Even Admiral packages their F-86's very efficiently too.

I've rambled long enough....

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:59 pm

Mike does BBi's 1/32 line have a bright future? I see a lot of potential in it and eagerly await news on the F-4.

Also, I'd love to see an A-10 and F-14 in that scale to accompany BBI's eagerly awaited F-4. Great work on that model, and I hope we can see more of it soon.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:51 pm

I too would love to see the Tomcat produced in 1/18 scale. Actually it is #1 on my list of must haves. This is why it pains me to say that I really don't see the Turkey ever being made into a 1/18 or even a 1/32 scale model, er, "toy".

Why would I say such a thing? Well, I will answer a question with a question. Where are the 1/18 B-25 and F-4 that were to be released? These are big planes. I honestly don't think any of the three companies have the beans to roll the dice on something like that just yet. And trust me, it would certainly be a crap shoot. Now, throw in an even larger subject (F-14), add a somewhat complex swing wing mechanism, and try to fit all of this into the all important box and you may see where I'm coming from.

I will say this however. If someone were to build a 1/18 F-14, I would place my money on bbi.

-Rob

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:02 pm

Mike is right, there is no market for a 1:18th F-14 the box would be big for most retailers to stock on their shelves, and what parent is going to buy a 200 dollar “toy” that does not have any flashing lights and sounds. The only way we are going to see a Tomcat is if some one makes one as a prebuilt model and not as a toy. My guess would be AT or 21st, more so on AT.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:19 pm

VMF115 wrote:Mike is right, there is no market for a 1:18th F-14 the box would be big for most retailers to stock on their shelves, and what parent is going to buy a 200 dollar “toy” that does not have any flashing lights and sounds. The only way we are going to see a Tomcat is if some one makes one as a prebuilt model and not as a toy. My guess would be AT or 21st, more so on AT.
He never said there is no market, he just doubts it will be made. Not too many years ago, it was doubtful whether or not there was even a market for 1/18 scale realistic military products. 7 years later its a completely different story. He also said "never say never".

Guys remember, while 1/18 would be the biggest 1/18 jet thus far, a 1/32 model wouldn't be that huge. Its just a bit shorter than 2 feet long.

I think if one company were to make the tomcat in 1/32, it would be BBI first.

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 am

Shin Densetsu wrote:
Guys remember, while 1/18 would be the biggest 1/18 jet thus far, a 1/32 model wouldn't be that huge. Its just a bit shorter than 2 feet long.

I think if one company were to make the tomcat in 1/32, it would be BBI first.
I agree. If we do see a large scale F-14 it will be in 1/32 scale. Tamiya and Revell have done well with their 1/32 scale model kits of the Tomcat. Hopefully one of the toy companies note their success and throw their hat in the ring for a large scale F-14.

-Rob

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:24 am

Shin Densetsu you are right in that aspect, but mike did say the size of a 1:18 F-14 box would make most retailers think twice in carying it. On a level of wholesale there is no market,,,if none of the retilers will sell them, due to thier large size, who will sell them other the online stores?
Btw there are two markets wholesale and retail, you need both to sell an item.
So in a way there is no market for the F-14 in 1:18th ...sad because I want one. someday we may see one..I hope and I hope if Bbi does make one it will have a proper to scale Landing gear. with all movable flight controls. :wink:
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:13 am

there have been two 1/32 F-14 toys made over the years. The Joe Tomcat look-alike, whose name i forget, and an r/c version with swinging wings and flashing lights that rolled along the floor, that came out a few years ago....so a new 1/32 Tomcat is certainly not unrealistic.

A Tomcat would be a bit bigger than a Phantom, so if the 1/18 Phantoms do well, i would not count out there being a Tomcat one day. It would certainly be a popular choice. Now, something like a 1/18 Su-27 has virtually no chance.

For those who want variety in 1/18 jets, it's time to start looking at the radio control airplane market. There is a decent selection of planes available that are all very close to 1/18. Quality is not as good but with some work and effort, one's 1/18 scale jet fleet can prosper.

Some examples of what is currently available in 1/18 or very close to 1/18: F-14, F-15, Raptor, Su-27, A-10, Mig 25 Foxbat (this is about 1/20 scale but still huge) and if you're a bit more tolerant in scale there is a Eurofighter, Rafale, Saab Draken, Gripen and more (these are more like 1/16 scale). There is also probably a U-2 coming in the next few months which should be about 1/18 or a bit bigger...

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:54 am

aferguson wrote:there have been two 1/32 F-14 toys made over the years. The Joe Tomcat look-alike, whose name i forget, and an r/c version with swinging wings and flashing lights that rolled along the floor, that came out a few years ago....so a new 1/32 Tomcat is certainly not unrealistic.

A Tomcat would be a bit bigger than a Phantom, so if the 1/18 Phantoms do well, i would not count out there being a Tomcat one day. It would certainly be a popular choice. Now, something like a 1/18 Su-27 has virtually no chance.

For those who want variety in 1/18 jets, it's time to start looking at the radio control airplane market. There is a decent selection of planes available that are all very close to 1/18. Quality is not as good but with some work and effort, one's 1/18 scale jet fleet can prosper.

Some examples of what is currently available in 1/18 or very close to 1/18: F-14, F-15, Raptor, Su-27, A-10, Mig 25 Foxbat (this is about 1/20 scale but still huge) and if you're a bit more tolerant in scale there is a Eurofighter, Rafale, Saab Draken, Gripen and more (these are more like 1/16 scale). There is also probably a U-2 coming in the next few months which should be about 1/18 or a bit bigger...
I think the toys you mentioned are the gijoe skystriker, and the newbright R/C tomcat that was out in the early 90's. The most likely possibilities in the future are these:

A BBI 1/32 Tomcat(F-14A first since it has the most famous and iconic squadron liveries), and a Power Team Elite "joe scale" F-14 Tomcat.

As you mentioned aferguson, a 1/32 isn't unrealistic, its smaller and much cheaper than 1/18, not to mention popular.

Honestly I think much of our hobby will go towards the 1/32 scale, most of the teen fighters will show up there while the most popular will show up in 1/18. For example, I could see a Super Hornet showing up in 1/32 moreso than in 1/18.

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Hellcat at TRU?

Post by Charlemagne » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:16 am

I apologize if this has already been asked but is the Hellcat going to be at TRU? Just wanting to know if I should wait or pony up and get one at Badcats.

Thanks
Dan

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:22 pm

Mike,

I noticed at Comic Con that the F6F Hellcat and the F-18 had new paint schemes. Will these schemes be produced for the market in the future?

Thank you

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:52 pm

Mike wrote:

"For Charlemagne and Mountain-Man…the answers are yes and yes."

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:13 pm

Thanks Mike, I love that Hellcat with the shark mouth. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Charlemagne » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:30 pm

aferguson wrote:Mike wrote:

"For Charlemagne and Mountain-Man…the answers are yes and yes."

Sweet....that's awesome news! Thanks Mike and aferg.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:40 am

Mike, is there any news on the 32nd scale F-4 Phantom?
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Jeff Cope
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jeff Cope » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:56 pm

Mike, any information on NEW 1:18 figures, either modern or WWII? When can we expect the next assortment?

Will TRU continue carrying the Elite Force line along with Target?

Jeff

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Charlemagne » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:04 pm

Sabrefan wrote:Thanks Mike, I love that Hellcat with the shark mouth. :D
I'm with you sabrefan...I luv that scheme and will holdout for that one. They were the only US Navy fighter squadron in WW2 to get by with art work on their aircraft for a short time and were eventually ordered to remove them because some old Admirals with sticks up their butts said "they weren't Navy" and besides that was something those Army Air Corps hooligans did.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:51 pm

Anyone have a link to where I can see the Shark Mouth Hellcat?
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Charlemagne » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:13 pm

MightyMustang wrote:Anyone have a link to where I can see the Shark Mouth Hellcat?
Technically, I think its a cat mouth and eyes. The play on the Hell "cat" name and something different from what the army aircorp was doing still very cool....http://www.blueboxtoys.com/bbi2005/imag ... o/008b.jpg

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:20 pm

Wow that pretty cool looking. But one F6F is enough for me until BBI paints one up in the markings of Minisi III the mount of medal of honor winner Capt Dave McCampbell. Until then Lt Varacius Hellcat is just fine.
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

mccarthy1028
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mccarthy1028 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:02 pm

DOES bbi HAVE ANY PLANS OF RERELEASING THE F-18 BLUE ANGELS VERSION... IT WOULD BE A GREAT CHRISTMAS SURPRISE AND MAYBE SELL IT AT TARGET.... ITS GREAT SEEING ALL THE ELITE FORCES LINE AT TARGET... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK bbi...
-MIKE-

sluff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sluff » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:11 pm

Hello Mike, can you tell us when and where the camo F-18 from comiccon is going to be released? second, any chance the black bunny F-18 will ever be rereleased? third, any new paint schemes for the F-16 on the horizon? (Israeli, JASDF, aggressor) and finally, are we ever going to see a new weapons pack release for either the F-18 or F-16? I would love to put different loadouts on each of the Hornets and Falcons I already have. You all do fine work over there and I look forward to any news coming out. 8)

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Mike,

I want to get a head start on christmas shopping. In another thread, you mentioned that the 1/32 F-4 will be released next month. Should I wait for it at retail, or order it online?