BBI - Blue Box Toys Information Q&A (Mike)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:10 pm

and an addendum to his last email. I asked him why the paras were done with molded on harnesses and lifevests. His response was:

"...the paras...the answer is the price...we ship this to TRU and it needed to suit the price point...most things are a compromise.

We will review for the future.

Mike"

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:10 pm

Anything new would be welcome, and I am sure there is some basic equipment out there we would like to see redone. I think we are all pretty much junkies and will take just about whatever we can get. bbi's P-51 and Sherman were welcome. They made some improvements and the pieces fit in with 21st stuff which is great. I think that is the most important issue when it comes to a bbi redo of a 21st subject. the fact that the pieces look well together. But, as always, new is nice; for WWII I am thinking of Navy birds. And, BTW, I think I would need to build another garage for a B-29 in 1:18.
Aaron

fredricchio
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by fredricchio » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:26 pm

I take heart in the fact that the first 2 planes he mentioned were the A-10 and F-14! I'm probably reading too much into that but who cares! :lol:

toyktdlgh
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:29 pm

I'll help build yours if you help with mine! :lol: :lol: :lol: Still, I like hearing that someone is listening. Just keep brining on those big jets, F-14, hint , hint and WWII stuff.

digger

hurts

Post by digger » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:35 pm

The reality of the business is that aircraft and figures are the heart of it with "wheeled vehicles" (you can read that as armour as well) are the slowest in sales
:cry: :cry: :( :cry:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:05 pm

"Hi Andrew,
I see your people are fast at responding to the info you posted...tell them not to bother trying to "read between my lines" as they are doing in cases like the
A-10 and F-14, B-29, etc......I am very experienced at giving very little away.
Just stick to what I write on the lines and we will not dash any expectations and keep the message on track.

Just as an aside...and to give your board some more smoke...we are frequently asked by original equipment manufacturers such as Boeing and Sikorsky to produce models for them for specific uses...both these companies have stores that sell our products...so why would not the Smithsonian or Wright Patterson AFB museum want a model of a B-29? Today is the 60th anniversary of the Enola Gay sortie over Japan.
Things are not always as they seem..try reading in between those lines.

Regards,

Mike"

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm

"Tell "Digger" that I said that wheeled vehicles were "slow" not "dead'...we will still be developing them...."

lol....how's that for instant feedback, eh digger?

I think we'll see what we are already seeing from 21c. Large amount of effort towards airplanes, which are the biggest sellers. Smaller amount of effort to armour, which sell less well. So we'll see armour just not in the quantity we'll see aircraft. That is the reality of business.

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:15 pm

A B-29? How many figures would we have to buy to fill it? :roll:

OnWu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Aussie

Post by OnWu » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:19 pm

Mike Murphy lives Downunder so be sure take the results of reading between his lines and turn them upside down. :o

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:21 pm

Jeez, Big Brother literally is "Watching You".

digger

Cool!

Post by digger » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:27 pm

:shock: 8)

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:29 pm

Living in Dayton---I am going to have to go check out the museum to see if there are any 1:18 models used as reference displays next to the big boys. HUM? Well, here's to hoping.
Aaron

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:30 pm

Let's really test big brother -

Any chance of seeing any artillery pieces (either WWII or Modern)? :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:39 pm

"Ask Morian Miner if he means something like a Paladin?

The answer is no."

:shock:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:42 pm

Reminder:

I will not be giving out his email address so don't bother to ask, nor will
i pass on individual questions to him, so don't pm me with them. They will
be ignored.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:17 pm

Mike-
Thanks for taking the time out to read and respond to our posts on our board. We 1/18 collectors may be a minority, but we are a very loyal lot when it comes to our hobby and our community as a whole.

Has BBI every thought about making any kind of diorama/playsets for their modern or WWII figures?? I would like to have a ready made place to put my figures. Something between the level of Build-a-Rama and say a Playmates Star Trek playset?? Or even a section of larger plane (B-17) or ship (Carrier) made to 1/18 scale.

If planes and figures do better the vehicles, how about a WWII Glider with pilot. You already have your Paratroopers. A glider would be smaller than a C-47, so packaging problems would not be an issue.

These are just some items off the top of my head.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:15 pm

Hey Mike. Glad to have a official word from BBI on here. Welcome to the boards and glad you're chiming in.

I'm curious about the World War 2 line vs the Modern line. Personally, I love the F/A-18 Hornet you guys did (and the Blue Angel repaint was one of the best repaint ideas that I've saw with one look of it and said 'I MUST get that'), I was curious on BBi's tak eof Modern Vs WW2 as far as a future outlook. Trying not to read between the lines in the previous statements, it's a bit difficult to tell if World War 2 is the future or if we could see some more modern Jet Fighters and the likes in the future for BBi. Obviously it's a field that's wide open at the moment. I'm sure anyone of the members on here could give you a wish list with 10+ modern aircraft from a F-4 Phantom to F-117 and everything in between. But curious as to if there might be a focus more on World War 2 or sticking with Modern as the main source while World War 2 is a smaller branch?

And one question I'm sure everyone wonders about but probably won't get asked is the issue of drooping rotors on the Chopers and Landing Gear on the fighters that can bow. Mainly I was wondering if you guys at BBI have any tips you could give us!

Thanks and glad to hear a voice from BBi!

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Finally BBI rises from the dead!

Post by 75th Ranger » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:17 pm

Finally BBI rises from the dead!

It is good to have some new info!

I would still like more Armor, just like my friend Digger and many others here.
There reality of war is that the guys in the ground fight or live in the combat zone 24/7/365 and the pilots get to go home and have "hot coccoa"....so give me a grunt any day!

Here is some questions that i have just as something to discuss:

What about other country items?

what about a timeframe for the new releases so that we can get our budgets ready?

what about a bbi regularly updated website that is user friendly! with bigger pics!

other than the US paratroopers are there going to be any other figures released before DEC. 2005?

how many planes will be released before 2005 end?...if it is possible to know just the number.

how many, if nay armor, will be released before, 2005 end?..

I honestly just want to plan my $$$ ahead...so that ican buy them...and since most of us here are married and with families that would be great help...you know we have to buy the items and request a "wife" approval.... :lol: just kidding! :D

thanks in advance for all the help!
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:21 pm

It's funny about wheeled vehicles being slower than planes when at TRU all I ever could find were planes while tanks and halftracks flew off the shelves... My Wal-Mart situation is currently much the same, where no tanks, trucks, or other "wheeled" items are on shelves yet I see plenty of German planes and choppers... Individual sightings vary of course, but it's disappointing when I can't find much of anything from any company as far as what I collect goes, but I see way too many planes for my liking.

But, foremost I'm a figure collector... Loves me some figures! I'm hoping BBI plans to keep the figures coming. I have noticed a distinct slowdown of figures overall since the repainted modern guys.

The lack of WW2 figures, after having seen them, has been something I've anxiously awaited so I hope BBI's getting those out to retail soon... I'm definitely interested in those infantry.

Unfortunately though, while I'd love to buy tons of paratroopers, I'm afraid that whatever the reason was for the Paratroops having their harnesses/vests molded on is going to hurt them. Where I may buy a single set now, I would most certainly have bought many sets had the figures had removable gear... Maybe the potential for a sales volume increase didn't outweigh the decision to keep the gear stuck to the figures, but from my perspective "army building" is a popular aspect to the 1:18 figure market, and the molded on gear is going to kill that with the paratroopers for the guys who do buy multiples... One set though, I am in on.

I hope BBI's quality increases... Some of the modern figures legs were a bit awkward I felt... The first wave was noticeably superior I felt, compared to the 2nd and 3rd waves (though the pilots have been great). The new articulation looks great on the P-51 Pilot, so I'm hoping desperately to see more figures of that kind of quality coming down the pike in the near future.

I've always appreciated BBI's superior sculpting... With some quality increases in the style of articulation and such, I think they could put out great stuff.

Appreciate BBI taking the time to talk/share thoughts here. I've had numerous levels of contact with Hasbro and 21st Century Toys has made efforts to be in contact (though they could take some lessons right now), and I'm pleased to see BBI showing some voice at the moment. Direct feedback is as important to a consumer base like this as it is to the company.

Take care, and let's see some more figures here... I'm starting to have withdrawal symptoms from not buying new 1:18 military figures for a LOOOOOONG time! :)
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

i second the montion for figures

Post by 75th Ranger » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:30 pm

i second the montion for more and more 1/18 figures!

Give me a Viet Nam Line!!!!!!!! with removable items!!!!

that would be great!!!

or a set of ARMY RANGERS with a tan beret.....if modern day or with a patrol cap in OD green fatiges for my period, of Grenada, Panama.

HOOAH!

ps: enemies!!!
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:37 pm

Maybe I'm reading between the lines here, speaking of the licensing and agreements subject, I read the A-10 that was done for Target was approved by Northrop Grumman. Surely they would approve of a "true" 1/18 scale A-10. They liked what was done with a partially accurate one. That would be a new aircraft manufacturer to add to the boasting list for sales and part of the legal leg work has been done. :wink: What do you think? I'm sure the A-10 would be one of those seller type modern aircraft. :D

Thanks for sharing with us and letting us know that the 1/18 line is still going to keep coming from BBI.

Morian Miner

Re: i second the montion for figures

Post by Morian Miner » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:47 pm

75th Ranger wrote:i second the montion for more and more 1/18 figures!

Give me a Viet Nam Line!!!!!!!! with removable items!!!!

that would be great!!!
I was just thinking about that. We always talk about BBi with regards to modern or WWII stuff. Is there a possibility of Vietnam figures?

wise690
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by wise690 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:15 am

Thank you for reading the board Mr. Murphy. I am very impressed with the f-16, and I hope an A-10 is soon to come.

Would an M-109 Paladin be a possible release for the future because it is one of my favorite tanks and is one of the coolest in my opinion. If more modern armor is made, will it be up to the standard of the Sherman with all opening hatches?
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

note

Post by 75th Ranger » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:42 am

Just a note:
Without getting into technical specifications;
The modern Palladin is actually an artillery piece. Self-propelled mobile artillery with a cannon to provide for indirect fire. it has a .50 cal. for self defense.

It would be definetely super cool ifthey were to make one. As a matter of fact, Forces of valor has one in 1/32...desert type. but one in 1/18 would be aswome.

As a matter of fact, in 1/18 i would even buy a "CHOW" truck...it is a cook supply truck, hhahha!, but i would buy it if it had some figures and some MRE boxes plus some military food containers....

When push comes to shove, even the cooks are riflemen!!!

Please make it happen!!!
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

mwanz
Corporal
Corporal

This is the best thread ever

Post by mwanz » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:44 am

This is the best SSHQ thread ever. Thanks to AFERG and MIke (and everyone) for the active exchange. Personally, I am a diehard BBI fan. The feedback is appreciated from MIKE, but I would venture to say that I would purchase whatever they have planning. Keep up the dialog!