BBI - Blue Box Toys Information Q&A (Mike)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
KAMIKAZE
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:58 pm

I knew killing you off would get you Mike. :lol: Welcome back. We consider you a great resource and would hate to loose you. :wink: I hope all the silence means that BBI is planning a sneak attack. 8)

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:59 pm

Must say, it is good to hear from you Mike. Here's hoping for a few suprises this year in 1:18 scale.
Todd

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:34 am

Mike wrote:

"For Razor and Birddog,
These figures have been shipped...should be in stores around end of Feb.
For Birddog on anything new...if I told you I might have to kill you...another variation of "wait and see"

For Kamikaze,
sneak attacks are not our style...we prefer to see the whites of their eyes.

For Doc Todd,
thanks and hi"
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:32 pm

Thats great news mike cant wait for those figures to arrive is it 5 in the set? will there be anything else with the figures?

Will these just be available at tru or will the online retailers getting these? (i ask as i had a few problems getting the last lot)

great to have you back BTW hope you had a happy xmas and new year!
If interrested in seeing more of my customs check out

http://www.freewebs.com/scopescustoms/index.htm

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:58 pm

Hi Mike

Im happy your back. Is there any news on any WWII 1/18 figures?
British troops hint hint :wink: .

Thnaks
There's only one way out of HELL! and that's through it!!

shadow83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by shadow83 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:33 pm

Mike, whatever happened with the new WW2 soldiers you said we would see before the end of summer?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:00 pm

Mike wrote:

"To all,
This is kind of a broadcast email that may or may not make sense to any of you.
First up to SGT Saunders...yes
Next to Shadow " wait and see"...now for all the "what happened to"...as I read over the board ( not just the direct from the source) I see so many comments about Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, etc.....if only you guys knew the real story.
Now I am not even going to try to detail the difficulties that vendors such as ourselves have with major US retailers....just let me say thay are far from perfect and whilst military scale may be you passion...it is not theirs.
In fact they all believe that the real action in the action figure category is Batman, Superman, Transformers, etc....their general belief is that military is not popular and in total decline.

Many times a vendor can have new product ready and they agree to take it and then defer it for a million reasons...they may even cancel it totally for a full season or even a year. ( F-16 is a good example..should have been in TRU 2 years ago)
Perhaps that will give you some idea of why giving you guys any "instore available date" is a dangerous thing to do until the goods are shipped.
Even then and for example..Wal-Mart has 2,500 stores and not all of them will be allocated the product...then even the store manager can decide not to take it...TRU can be the same. Or it can get lost in their distribution center are surface months later...if ever.
The reality is that retailers don't care...buyers are controlled by beancounters and brainwashed not to take any risks...if they buy it and it sells out they are happy...even if they can sell more they do not order any as this coulfd be a risk.

These are just some of the realities of vendor to retail relations that could give you some insight as to why you get so many conflicting messages from the manufacturers side.
Manufacturers understand what you want and hear you loud and clear...retailers don't care...so if you really want to change it...don't tell us ...tell them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...start a petition for a better range of your wanted products in the stores you wan to see it in. Start and email campaign, hold a demonstration, hire the Goodyear blimp, send up a skywriter, go on a public hunger strike ( the A-10 guys can do this if they are still alive)....but make some noise in the right areas!!!!!!!

Mike"

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Ha - the only real reason I do my grocery shopping at WM!!

If XD goes - I'm back at Kroger and Super target!
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:05 pm

Thanks for the information on the figures Mike.

Sounds like TRU ordered the F-16 and then cancel it after it was being or had been produced. If so, I think the e-tailers and hobby shops alone did a very good job of selling all of them in a reasonable amount of time. That is why I don't think major retailers should be the "BIG" picture in producing products for this hobby. Let them have Batman, Transformers, Star Wars, etc. Stick to the e-tailers and smaller retailers like Hobby Shops where the true market is...... the collectors, aviation enthusiast, etc.. I'm not saying cut the major retailers out, but don't let them rule a market they seem to know and care nothing about.

I know the major retailers may help bring better pricing to the consumer and bigger orders to the manufacturer, but are they really going to help bring out the aircraft or armor the market desires in the end? Are they the ones that specialize and dedicate their business in carrying the products we so desire? I think the major retailers can be blinders sometimes that need to be taken off so that this hobby can grow with more wanted subjects. Just because Toys R Us or Wal-Mart doesn't want to purchase it doesn't mean it won't sell or doesn't have a market worthwhile. It's been said here before that the major retailers "think" they know what we want when they don't. Since that seems to be the case, maybe retailers that "do" know what we want and "do" pay attention to us should be the ones that are looked at as the "major retailers" for this hobby. I'm sure they know what we want and will be willing to carry the product.

I believe the market is there for military toys and the 1/18 hobby, I think the problem just might be who is being used to reach it. This is all my opinion of course.... :wink: :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:26 pm

I agree to some degree - but If it was not for TRU or WM I would have not bought as much XD. Or even really been interested in it as I was not an avid model builder or collector of military items other than Books.

It is their job (if they want to remain a company) to sell/market their product to the bulk sellers eg WM TRU Target etc.

marketing.
marketing.

I have put way over $1000 into XD at WM
im sure somehow a sin.

Now the other side is if WM no longer has XD the price at the online store will begin to go down due to more competition.

well I have no worries about 2007 at least.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

digger

availability

Post by digger » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:08 am

Now the other side is if WM no longer has XD the price at the online store will begin to go down due to more competition.
Absolutely not. WM already keeps prices online down. And without WM the production cost would be much higher and so would your cost.

Re: WWII guys
First up to SGT Saunders...yes
Next to Shadow " wait and see"...
:D :D Hopefully some pics in Feb around TF.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:40 am

I agree on the above points--some of you may recall my "rant" on the AT thread a few weeks ago about the clueless corporate buyers being the ones who often dictate what we see. Unfortunately, it is the problem that mass market retailers like Walmart tend to have a huge impact on what gets made and if it gets sold. I am sure that the 20,000 piece orders for Walmart help subsidize the cost of developing new product far more than the 100 piece orders that an e-tailer like Bad Cat might place. Take away the Walmarts and such, and one of two things will happen: 1) the development cost will be passed on to us a customers more heavily, meaning 1/18 aircraft and armor will probably almost double in price. Or 2) the variety of offerings will drop like a rock.
BUT: if we are willing to pay the higher prices, we may see MORE of what we want, because we as collectors will be the ones influencing the market rather than the Walmart bean counters. I have said before that I would have no issue with paying $150-200 for a well-done A-10, something at least on a par with the bbi F-16. Find 1500-2000 more buyers willing to do the same, and it may just be a viable production run.

I do agree on the marketing issue. NONE of the manufacturers does a decent job of promoting their products to the general public, mostly due to the general cost of advertising (TV time is outrageous for a broad target audience).

And as far as the philosophy that military toys are a dying market segment, it sounds like if places like WM are believing that, it's just more politically correct BS from those idiots that believe we should live with our heads up our historical butts and not even take into account that toy soldiers are one of the oldest kinds of toys on earth. Personally, I am sick of shelf space being swallowed up by stereotype promoting low-rider cars and gang-banger cruisers. And if violence is promoted by military toys depicting, and in many cases, honoring the memory of some of the greatest heroes in our nations history, then they need to take a hard look at all the WWF crap on the shelves, that promotes violence for violence's sake alone. ok. Ranting and raving done.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:19 pm

FieroDude wrote:I agree on the above points--some of you may recall my "rant" on the AT thread a few weeks ago about the clueless corporate buyers being the ones who often dictate what we see. Unfortunately, it is the problem that mass market retailers like Walmart tend to have a huge impact on what gets made and if it gets sold. I am sure that the 20,000 piece orders for Walmart help subsidize the cost of developing new product far more than the 100 piece orders that an e-tailer like Bad Cat might place. Take away the Walmarts and such, and one of two things will happen: 1) the development cost will be passed on to us a customers more heavily, meaning 1/18 aircraft and armor will probably almost double in price. Or 2) the variety of offerings will drop like a rock.
BUT: if we are willing to pay the higher prices, we may see MORE of what we want, because we as collectors will be the ones influencing the market rather than the Walmart bean counters. I have said before that I would have no issue with paying $150-200 for a well-done A-10, something at least on a par with the bbi F-16. Find 1500-2000 more buyers willing to do the same, and it may just be a viable production run.

I do agree on the marketing issue. NONE of the manufacturers does a decent job of promoting their products to the general public, mostly due to the general cost of advertising (TV time is outrageous for a broad target audience).

And as far as the philosophy that military toys are a dying market segment, it sounds like if places like WM are believing that, it's just more politically correct BS from those idiots that believe we should live with our heads up our historical butts and not even take into account that toy soldiers are one of the oldest kinds of toys on earth. Personally, I am sick of shelf space being swallowed up by stereotype promoting low-rider cars and gang-banger cruisers. And if violence is promoted by military toys depicting, and in many cases, honoring the memory of some of the greatest heroes in our nations history, then they need to take a hard look at all the WWF crap on the shelves, that promotes violence for violence's sake alone. ok. Ranting and raving done.
Excellent Points! Especially military violence compared to WWF and gang bangers. I'm with ya! :wink:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:07 pm

Mike wrote:

"To all,
for those of you that recommended marketing ...think about this..
- spend money tooling and stocking a product
- advertise is heavily without having store fronts for people to buy it from
- spend more money on promotional marketing still without store fronts for people to buy it from
- then close out your inventory because nobody bought it
- calclate your loss on the close and the tooling cost
- try plan B which is to double or triple your price to recover tooling and production cost and then sell it to a small number of onlie retailers
- face the facts that the product is too expensive and close it out again
- add up you total loss from development, licensing guarantees, royalties, marketing, advert monies, tooling, inventory and close outs
- take the commercial decision and withdraw from the market.

In the real worl marketing without distribution is futile.

For those of you that suggest increase the price and rely on 2,000 or 3,000 pieces from online rertailers...you have sadly under estimated the cost of developing and tooling one of these products.

I will not say any more on the topic except to add the "US reatail stores are full of products that buyers think consumers want....the truth is... they don't"

Like I said make some noise with the retailers...that can make a difference."

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:05 am

Well being a manufacturer sounds like a nightmare! you know you have good product that there is a market for it but you cant get buyers to pick it up :roll: . I will be bombarding modelers loft over here to pick up the BBI brand as i would love to get it over here in the UK. That's why i asked if the new figures will be just for TRU or whether the etailers will have it?

Are there any plans to continue the combat command line and update your website with it?
If interrested in seeing more of my customs check out

http://www.freewebs.com/scopescustoms/index.htm

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:25 am

Wow Mike (and Aferg) thanks for the insight..

Mike, what have you seen as the best way to get their attention?

I know you suggested some things, but if we did want to rally a bit and make a shout out, where should we drop the ordinance so to speak? :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:09 pm

Welcome back Mike. Any news on the 1/18th F6F Hellcat? Hows it coming along? And any news on a release date as of yet?

Again welcome back.

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

viperzerof-2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by viperzerof-2 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:29 am

how about a 1/18 f-2a?

it would not cost much to produce since it is similar to the f-16. it would fit in the box well. I bet that it would be popular because it is very famous for its paint job. it would also make a lot of sence to make it because bbi make the zero and this is a modern japanese aircraft

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:55 am

Mike wrote:

"For Grunt1,
History shows that carpet bombing does not work..precision guided ordinance is the best device.
Send and a letter or email and be specific...don't just say "military"...name the scale and brand.

For Mighty Mustang,
the F-6 is coming along nicely thank you."

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:36 am

Mike,

Great to have you back. Can't wait until February to get the new figures. And look forward to seeing what else BBi has in store for 2007.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:05 am

Mike,

Anyone specific (name wise) with the reatailes we should try to direct e-mails or letters to?

Thanks.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:01 pm

Mike

OK you said yes! Was that yes to news on some new WWII 1/18 figures or was that yes to some WWII 1/18 British Troops?
There's only one way out of HELL! and that's through it!!

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:29 am

aferguson wrote:Mike wrote:

"For Grunt1,
History shows that carpet bombing does not work..precision guided ordinance is the best device.
Send and a letter or email and be specific...don't just say "military"...name the scale and brand.

For Mighty Mustang,
the F-6 is coming along nicely thank you."

Nice to know the F6F is coming along good but any known release date yet?

:?
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

Jeff Cope
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jeff Cope » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Mike,

Allow me to chime in with a hearty "Welcome back!" as well.

Great to hear more 1:18 WWII figures are coming! Wonderful news.

I hear what you are saying about retail. I fully believe the ignorance and short-sightedness of retail toy buyers is the bane of the industry. Hang in there!

One question: Will bbi be showing any new 1:18 figures (WWII or otherwise) at Toy Fair next month?

Jeff

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:54 pm

Mike, welcome back and thanks. There's no TRU here and even the new wallyworld is showing signs of getting rid of all 21c stuff. Concerning the sitings of the new helipeller configured Cayuse, can you offer any hint when it might be available from e-tailers?

Thanks and Regards
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..