21st Century Toys 1:18 Information Q&A (Area-21 Pres)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
toyktdlgh
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:25 am

I think that the Avenger will be showing up at Wal Marts in the very near future. TKO has already extensively hinted to this. As for release dates, I can only imagine all the things that have to come together in order to produce these items. Dealing with production in another country, shipping and retailers must be quite an ordeal and pinning down an exact date only to upset the crowd later when something goes wrong can probably be a tall order. The Avenger has been a bit of a fiasco so I bet 21C will be a bit tight lipped in the future to avoid that from happening again.
I think we should just be happy that we are getting some insider info at all. Those of us who have been in this from the start can remember back to the days when there was NO info at all and 21C was filing for bankruptcy.
As for your savings account I would just go ahead and save, save, save. It looks as if there will be a lot of new products showing up in the future. :)

digger

?

Post by digger » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:05 am

me122172 - weren't you calling me grumpy? :roll: :lol:
I don't understand the planning of the budget thing - that is a poor excuse for wanting to know what is coming and when, as most of us do. How do you plan your bbi budget since they tell you nothing? If you don't like the bits of info we get than stick to the bbi thread. We have been through this so many times, that some people want to know, others don't, and others will never be happy. Jason is SO right with damned if they do, damned if they don't...
PS - that is why preorders are often pointless. How often is that if you don't preorder you don't get one? The PH Zero? The BCA Mustangs? The AT F-86? Preorder will just make you more impatient imo!

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:17 am

Are all New Yorkers grumpy and whiners? You guys are giving us a bad name,....again. :?

I'm sure we are all concerned about MK!...'s budget. Do you really have to prepare a budget scheduling item on a $20 toy?, even a $50 plane?

I can understand, if you are talking about a "dark side" (1/6) item costing $150 and up. A toy budget is called for. Even then you get suprises in this hobby, new releases can pop up when not expected in any scale. My personal budget contained a new AH Demag half-track at $300 before shipping and I just got a suprise from the first guys who bought it. suprise, suprise, it's a piece of drep. Now my budget is flush with $300 to go towards the next release..... of a 1/6 White half-track?.....whenever.

As to information, TKO has been as forthcoming as is possible. Delays happen, and certain guys are very quick to slam the manufacturer as soon as a delayed promised delivery date is missed. So I understand being "hazy" about release dates. I believe TKO tells us what he can.

Unless MK1... is really Donald Trump and he's ready to hand out 2,000 of the new M-16's or even the mythical Avengers to his employees, who are you to demand 21C provides us with someone who will tell us info TKO can't or won't tell us.

Lighten up guys. Go play with your toys or dollies or watch the old "Sahara" with Boggie or "1941" again to chear you up.

Don't make me give you a "time out" 8)

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:53 am

LOL!!!

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:54 am

I have ben out for a couple days and look at all the questions! :lol:

I understand all the concerns and as Digger and TTT have correctly indicated, often times I am only told so much and I can only share so much. With that said I think I can shed some light.

Here are the quick answers:

1. New figure pics should be available sometime next week (keeping fingers crossed)

2. First batch Avengers are finished and should show up very very soon.

3. F-86, MiG-15 S1 & S2 schemes are all going to ship this year. 21st is not releasing a firm date yet more info will come.

Something that everyone might find interesting: (aside from tradeshow coverage) Currently when 21st announces a product and shows us a first shot or second shot, it means the product is in development. 21st Century Toys has tried very hard to work with AREA-21 to only talk about and show products that well into the production process.

Some interesting facts to consider: nailing down a specific date for these releases is difficult to say the least. With 4 different scales and multiple releases in all of them the opportunity for pitfalls, market changes, retailer purchases etc. makes for a very mixed bag of intel to juggle.

That said AREA-21 and 21st is working hard to only release an estimate date when and only when a product leaves china and makes it's way to the U.S.

The Pak-40, US halftrack, German Halftrack, F-86, MiG-15, 1:32 scale stuka, corsair, and other projects recently featured are all in production now. Some are further than others but they are all being built as we speak. None of the upcoming 2007 products have even been mentioned on AREA-21 yet.
and there is still more intel coming in for additional 2006 products.

21st has a lot going on. There has never been a more exciting time to be a military toy collector no matter the scale, 21st has a ton of stuff going on. 2007 is rumored to be just as explosive!

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:16 am

TKO - Thanks for getting back with us and giving us as much as you know.
We really appreciate what you do for us!

That said, I am going to pull out a really old, dead horse and beat on it...

21st Contest "4 for Victory" P-51.... did it get shot down or what? :?

What is the latest you can tell us about this particular plane?
Can you give us an updated ETA on delivery???
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:33 am

Thanks for all the information TKO!

Can you tell us what happened to the Avenger that took so long?
Is there any chance that 21st Century Toys will re-realise the Panther in the near-future?
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:58 am

TKO:

I am hearing that 21C is out of the 1/6 scale because WM doesn't want to be stuck with "problem" items in huge, very heavy boxes of stock.

I'm speaking of course of the 1/9 Abrams mechanical problems and the problem with the 1/6 Humvee (having no interior to put guys in). Most 1/6 guys are buying at WM clearance prices, which doesn't make WM happy.

Any intel on that, available? Us 1/6 fans would really like, even new production of items like the Scout Car or many others. I'm only dreaming when I suggest the 1/6 Panzer III that was in the toy show catalog some time ago.....I realize that is a dead prototype......TTT is sad over that :(

TTT

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:53 pm

Some interesting facts to consider: nailing down a specific date for these releases is difficult to say the least. With 4 different scales and multiple releases in all of them the opportunity for pitfalls, market changes, retailer purchases etc. makes for a very mixed bag of intel to juggle.
Exactly my point made earlier. Too many pans in the fire to manage and they all suffer. Common sense.

The 1/9 tank was a joke, why bother? Sure tank fans love big tanks but 1/9 ? Who has 1/9 toys and accessories?

It would have been MUCH better to concentrate and make a great 1/6 Panzer III if that had already been a prototype.

Whos making these decisions? I would love to crash one of these top exe meetings and lay it out how it should be. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of common practial business sense going on.

I didn't buy the 1/6 humvee because no additional features and no interior for the 1/6 guys.

Saw the 1/32 combat packs, 21C is testing the market for the combo pack with Mig 15 and F-86 I bet. Just hope that walmart doesn't split em up as they'll take too much space.

DH

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:49 pm

The 1/6 Panzer III was a working prototype. It was not the picture in the 21C catalog of a few years ago which was suposed to be the 1/6 model. The pic was of the 1/32 Panzer III. The Panzer III in 1/6 was made and sent "up the ladder" at 21C and killed, somrwhere, by who knows who?

I will still buy both the Abrams and the Humvee, but when I find them on "deep" discount. The Humvee can now be had for under $50, it's going.

TTT

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:54 pm

Actually my point was NOT that there are too many pans in the fire. Let me be totally clear because I know everyone is passionate about the products and I also don't want to mis-represent 21st in any way.

With so many projects to monitor (which I would consider a GOOD thing for our hobby). The stauts and priority of any one particular model is difficult to project an exact release date. The Avenger is an EXTREME case on one end of the spectrum where other more recent projects like the TRU merrills set, 1:32 scale Zeros & Macchi were shining examples of a smooth launch.

To be totally honest the new method of news is working perfectly to the fans. The Avenger project is over 3 years old now so frankly that one doesn't count as AREA-21 didn't even exist back then. Here is how it works today. I will use the F-86 Sabre as the example.

I actually knew about this project in December of 2004. But it was so early in the process to let fans know if it was even going to get an official green light. It was not until 4/6/06 that AREA-21 was finally approved to show the first plastic shots of the Sabre.
So why did 21st take over a year to show any pictures? Because the new school of thought is this. They don't show pictures now until the project is in production! So by the time the F-86 is in our collections we will have only had to wait a few months as opposed to a few years.

Kinda makes you wonder what they are building right now for 07 doesn't it? :wink:

Now let me just get on my soap box for a moment, not because I don't agree with the members but because I know how you feel.
I really, really do.

for scbvideoboy: I know EXACTLY how you feel about crashing an Executive meeting I felt 100% percent the EXACT same way 2 years ago! I completely know where you are coming from.

My wish was granted in the fall of 2004. Where I had the rare opportunity to sit across the table from the CEO, Vice Pres of Operations, Sales Managers, and the Product Developmment Director. AWESOME, I tell you! I was inside the walls of 21st speaking directly with these fine people whom I have found a great respect for. For 1 full day I toured the company, sat in with different departments and even ate lunch with the CEO.

When the day was over my head was swimming! Many of MY OUTSIDER oppinions of mass retail, distribution, price, production schedules, marketing, and other general ideas suddenly seemed childish, niave, and just plain silly. Once you see things from the perspective of the company the veil is lifted and you begin to understand everything involved. To directly quote the CEO, and I will never forget the truth of these words. "building war toys, in particular the 1:18 and 1:6 scale stuff is NOT for the feint of heart". My point is that if you were to have the experience I have had and if you have seen a company like 21st as close as I have you begin to realize one fact at a time, that the vast majority of business decisions are in fact common, practical, and correct.

There is always a balance that has to be maintained in this industry and at the level at which 21st plays. I honestly tell you this becase IT was such a unique opportunity where I have learned a lot!

In closing: THANKS 21st for all you guys do. Thanks for pioneering this market and exspecially thanks for making realistic historical products. Keep up the good work!

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:17 pm

hotrodrock wrote:That would be a fantasy. A Tarus is a poor excuse for a car made by Ford. That thing that Dr. Who travels in is a Tardis.
Real funny, so funny that I'm playing with my key of time.

I've had 3 fords, all have been super, '5.0, '98gt and '04 focus (87K)

I REALLY want a new GT.

Dave

mediump
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by mediump » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:49 pm

Wow TKO, thanks for the info. I am very glad we have you, a fellow collector, as a link between us and the "head honcho's" at 21st C and I truly appreciate the info that you can give us.
So, question, all the new stuff shown, halftracks, 1/32 planes, and NEW 1:18 Figures!, will be out for later in 2006 / early 2007?
That would be cool.
I wonder what s up their sleeve for 2007, something to go with platoon figures I hope!
keep us posted, thanks

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:16 am

Razor17019 wrote:TKO - Thanks for getting back with us and giving us as much as you know.
We really appreciate what you do for us!

That said, I am going to pull out a really old, dead horse and beat on it...
TKO:
21st Contest "4 for Victory" P-51.... did it get shot down or what? :?

What is the latest you can tell us about this particular plane?
Can you give us an updated ETA on delivery???
TKO- still beating this dead horse :mrgreen:
What can you tell us of the "4 for Victory Contest" P-51?

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:55 am

Last I heard 21st was moving the P-51D mold to a different factory to begin another new selection of schemes. I think there was something to with a new scheme that was going to be produced that would enable the 4 for Victory birds to be produced as a piggy back order? I know that alot of the ground work is about finished or is already finished so hopefully everyone is just waiting for the run of aircraft to come off the production line. Should be fairly soon I would think.

I will look into it and see where we stand on the issue.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:30 am

TKO,
Appreciate any information you can dig up on the subject, thanks!

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:20 am

Hi TKO

Im hoping theres going to be some British WWII 1/18 troops in Desert uniforms (Egypt, Afrifa) to fight those DAK troops. If theres not any British figures if you have the time could you please ask 21st if and or when would they be getting into 1/18 WWII British figures?

Thank you.
There's only one way out of HELL! and that's through it!!

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:42 pm

Ok, it all came together for me after reading these posts.

Here's the plan:

- Assemble a team (SCB, Razor, Digger, aferg, lsc, etc you know who you are)

- Practice a lot of counterstrike

- Buy dead president disguise masks

- Find TKO, "nab" him (he is a double agent, but must maintain his cover)

- Tell him to reveal the password to the secret prototype
photo's section of Area 21 unless he spills the beans on the 2007 lineup

- After he's done and we finish drooling, head out to the 21C board room

- Explain to them the way it really works:

Old deal: Business plan, margin, shareholder value, profitibility, blah blah..

New deal: Instead of making 5000 units of 1 popular item, make 500 units of 10 somewhat obscure items so that in a few years, everything ever made in every conflict will be available in 1:32 or 1:18

- Borrow pre-production copy of 2007 catalog

- Swing by the factory, buy some avengers fresh off the line

- Check on 4 for Victory prize status

- Jet home and play!

Who's with me! :D

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:23 pm

I'm in, if I get to wear the Nixon mask! 8)

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:51 pm

After all that we have to "buy" the avengers? More like, "consultant fees" payable in models.

Share holders means stock, where's it at, I wanna buy some.

That's it, every new piece of 21 products have a stock coupon on the box, 1 purchase equals 1 share. So many shares equals a trip to 21 headquarters and get to sit in, x numbers equals a chance to speak to the board. so on and so on...

and the winner (most shares) at the end of the event year gets to personally choose the next 1/18 model of any type.

By golly this is a great idea!

DH

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:21 pm

Well if you pre-ordered, you can just take one ;-)

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:20 pm

Grunt1:

Only problem with your plan is that "first big step".....".just swing by the factory and....".

Isn't 21C in CA in the land of fruits and nuts and isn't the factory so far into China that the only thing on the TV is Giligan's Island and Russian excercise videos.

And if these guys do all this stuff, why wouldn't they just keep all this info to themselves? :roll:

TTT

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:01 pm

I didn't say it would be easy, and I'm one of the guys going along so keeping it to ourselves isn't an issue for me. :P

You coming? :wink:

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:11 pm

Need rifles? Pistols? Transport? Sniper?

I can provide :lol:

Im hopeing you are not serious... (But if you are... get me one of each 1/18 please)
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:05 pm

Totally _not_ serious. Just as eager as everyone else to know the scoop. Being suprised is half the fun. :-)