21st Century Toys 1:18 Information Q&A (Area-21 Pres)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:10 pm

Ha Ha- Roger that razor. :lol:

There were plans for the Jeep and the Huey. and I think the tank? But those items are more sketchy I think? As far as figs for Platoon goes I do know there will be no enemy figs... sadly. But that there are something like 6 figures? all with great likenesses and all new bodies with a new armiture! So those will be VERY cool when we see them. Hopefully 06 but like I said I would plan on 07.

I will ask around though for more details and the status of vehicles. I am also trying to pull another interview together with Roy. Bout time AREA-21 did that again?

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:18 pm

Dont forget about Micheal Whittman :D
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

toyktdlgh
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:18 am

I don’t usually chime in on these topics but I must agree with the current sentiment. We really do need more armor and vehicles. I love planes but they need ground support. The jeep and the kubelwagen really could use another issue. The kubelwagen most of all. Is 21st planning to re-pop the kubel any time soon? They really need to!!!! :wink:

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:38 pm

I would LOVE to see a re-issue on the Kubel. I believe the problem is that 21st no longer is satisifed with that mold or it could have been that the mold for it was burned in the factory fire that took place about 3 years ago. Either way, a re-tool would be more likely and I don't know where that would fall on the priority list behind some of the other "in the works" projetcs?

But I must agree that a revisit of the Kubel would be a welcomed one. As for more ground support.... Chack AREA -21 ove rthe next couple months. News on this front is on it's way.

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:14 pm

That seems to be a common thing with toy companies, having their molds damaged or destroyed by fire, moving damage, mis-placed, or employees walking out with parts of them etc...

DH

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:50 pm

LOL, I get where your going, but I belive TKO on this one.
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:10 am

I respect 21st Century and think they have great products. The new products are sure to become an instant success.

Keep up the great work. Great job in this forum TKO!
Last edited by Jason of Admiral Toys on Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:32 am

One thing I hate is people reading into a post other than what it says.

I will not be held responsible for others interpatation of a given post.

I don't believe I mentioned a specific company or that I needed personal experience to make a post.

That earlier post was just a general statement.

But here is something about Matchbox: I believe they make toys...

Charlie Mack's book Lesney's Matchbox Toys -- Superfast Wheel Years, 1969-1982:

"By 1973, Jack Odell decided to resign as a joint managing director, leaving Leslie Smith the sole director. In 1973, many innovative items were developed, including "Rola-matics." These models featured moving parts when the model's wheels rotated. But 1973 wasn't a good year for Lesney Products. An eight-week nationwide power strike followed by a strike at Lesney's fatling shop shut the company down. This was followed by further disaster - a fire then a flood at the Rochford facility that destroyed much of the plastic components division. It was at this time that "Yesteryears" ceased to be produced and did not re-enter the collector's market until 1975."

I also believe Hasbro has been in a legal battle with a Brazilian Company that has "lost" molds that were leased to them for original GIJoe parts.

Slightly off topic is Aardman Animations studios fire, the creators of Wallace and Gromit stop animation films.

http://www.empireonline.com

"A huge fire has devastated the Bristol warehouses where Aardman animation stored their properties. Sets and models for the Wallace & Gromit films, including current box office champ The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, as well as Creature Comforts and Morph, have all been lost in the fire.
The firm's "entire history" was lost, but happily no one was hurt. At one point, flames reached 100 ft tall, and all three floors of the building ultimately collapsed. Founder and Wallace & Gromit director Nick Park remained stoical, however, saying, "Even though its precious stuff and nostalgic - and its dreadful news for the company – in the light of other tragedies it's not a big deal."

While we admire his ability to maintain his perspective, it's a sad turn of events at a time when Aardman should have been celebrating."

Now I could spend hours looking up more information on different companies, but I won't...

scbvideoboy

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:34 am

scbvideoboy,

Well said. Misinterpreting posts is a problem that we all have to deal with.

Regards,
Jason

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:48 pm

What did I misunderstand? :?

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:56 pm

Moth wrote:What did I misunderstand? :?
Nothing serious, some people read into my comment about how toy companies seem to have problems keeping their molds intact.

TKO mentioned a fire at 21C destroyed molds of earlier releases and therefore can't be reissued.

Responses were defensive of the 1/18 scale manufactuers who would not purposely destroy molds to create a "limited collectible" and increasing it's value.

My post commented on the fact that molds or model assets seem to get lost or destroyed often.

My opinion would be that original master molds need to be treated like gold with high security and protection at all times.

Anyway enough of that...

DH

tko211

Post by tko211 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:35 pm

21st I think was not happy to learn that the Kubel was lost. These molds are pretty expensive to develop. I think there was more than one item lost. It sucks but what can you do?

Anyway 21st did say to me once that they would perhaps have retooled parts anyway so perhaps a new one is best. But without a doubt... If you see one on e-bay you might want to step up and pay because they do appear to be in high demand for the moment. Mine ran me 40 buck when I finally won an auction. IT was worth it... short driver and all!!!

:wink:

tko211

Post by tko211 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:46 pm

Jason-

I am just happy to play my small part. I live the life of "don't shoot the messenger". :lol:

All the Fans are really great, and I am fortunate that they feel comfortable as being "one of them". I have always been a huge fan of this board, back when it was Ground pounders. Boy that seems like another lifetime ago.

The best times are when I get to fly out to CA and meet face to face with 21st. Everyone is so nice and happy to share whatever info they can at the time. They do great work and I respect the wealth of knowledge that Roy Sutherland has. That guy is pretty sharp.

I am just gald to help out and deliver news to the fans. Thanks to everyone who puts up with me on this board! As you know there is more news to come!

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:11 pm

tko211 wrote: Thanks to everyone who puts up with me on this board!
Put up with you?

Your a God-like figure to us! (to me at least)

I have never seen anyone, from a company, to be so helpful, or to bring so much information to the public

Thanks for everything TKO :D

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:12 pm

Always appreciated Zach! :)

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:25 am

area 51 pics are up. were is the artical?
whats up doc....

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:44 am

TKO,

Thank you for the reply.
I spoke with Roy just the other day on the phone. We had a good conversation about our companies, and about his upcoming trip to China.

I cannot wait to see what is in the works with 21st Century and the upcoming projects. I must say, “I have a pretty good idea,” and I know the fans of 21st will be impressed as always. Keep up the good work 21st.

Regards,
Jason

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:13 pm

Jason of Admiral Toys wrote:TKO,

Thank you for the reply.
I spoke with Roy just the other day on the phone. We had a good conversation about our companies, and about his upcoming trip to China.

I cannot wait to see what is in the works with 21st Century and the upcoming projects. I must say, “I have a pretty good idea,” and I know the fans of 21st will be impressed as always. Keep up the good work 21st.

Regards,
Jason

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

An olive branch offered between 21st and Admiral???? I sincerely hope that this sort of communication will blossum into a nicely diverse offering of products and avoid duplication of effort thus enhancing the hobby for us and improved sales for the manufacturers.

I really like what I am seeing here!!!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:29 pm

Teamski wrote:
Jason of Admiral Toys wrote:TKO,

Thank you for the reply.

Regards,
Jason
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

An olive branch offered between 21st and Admiral???? I sincerely hope that this sort of communication will blossum into a nicely diverse offering of products and avoid duplication of effort thus enhancing the hobby for us and improved sales for the manufacturers.

I really like what I am seeing here!!!

-Ski

Yeah.... :D :D

Then maybe we will see aircraft like the A-10, F-4, Hellcat, and B-25 get done in 1/18 and no one will have to worry about getting scooped and killed on the market because of competition. That would be awesome...............If this is the case, somebody get bbi on the phone.. :wink: :D :D

tko211

Post by tko211 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:54 am

There is going to be a pretty consistant flow of articles (about 1 every other day) Some will be all new announcements others will be follow up to already on going projetcs.

Yes there are some more allied pieces that will be announced. I can't talk about them yet but you will see more soon.

boyx30
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by boyx30 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:09 pm

Great to hear that there are major things on the horizon from most all the makers. I don't think any of you need to worry too much about our loyalty. It appears most of us will buy one of each no matter what, so as far as I'm concern being overly competitive isn't a big deal..as long as there is a consistant flow of products avaliable we'll be pretty content.

Scott

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:02 pm

TKO, can you tell us if the Avenger has been completed yet, or the progress of it?

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:11 pm

boyx30 wrote:Great to hear that there are major things on the horizon from most all the makers. I don't think any of you need to worry too much about our loyalty. It appears most of us will buy one of each no matter what, so as far as I'm concern being overly competitive isn't a big deal..as long as there is a consistant flow of products avaliable we'll be pretty content.

Scott
As long as it's the right scale that is :D

I like to maintain consistency, I have a few 1/6 items, tons of 1/18
(diecast cars trucks) and the plastic military vehicles in 1/18.

And plastic tamiya Formula 1 model cars in 1/12.

No 1/72, 1/43, 1/56, 1/144 (WTF?) 1/32, 1/35, etc...

So the news that 21C is going into different scales with a futher drain on resources and production manpower priorities that should be devoted to 1/18 lines is less than inspiring.

DH

Timbo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Timbo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:21 pm

It would be nice to see 21st pull its head out of its posterior and start re-releasing some of the rarer 1/6th vehicles if they don't plan on making anything new. As long as they are in bed with Wal-mart I won’t hold my breath.