Admiral Toys Information Q&A (Jason)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Wed May 24, 2006 5:45 pm

Thanks Jason. We eagerly await the the word on the new production planes!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Thu May 25, 2006 8:10 am

I am ceretainly stoked!
Aaron

der Vogelfänger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Admiral Toys F-86

Post by der Vogelfänger » Thu May 25, 2006 3:19 pm

T H A N K Y O U, Jason, for the (ANY) Luftwaffe birds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The F-86, Luftwaffe, is a must for me (not to mention the Me-262!)...

Excellent news,

dV
FLYNAVY73
du doch nicht!
Kennst du mich noch?
Luftwaffe-a-holic!!!

Unsere Mannschaft muß einfach gewinnen, und
plötzlich, Weltmeister Zwanzigvierzehn! (WM2014)

Danke Jungs!!

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Fri May 26, 2006 12:49 am

Ok, I am going to try this out for awhile. This is the very same Jason that has been speaking to you through Mr. Ferguson. I appreciate all of the help he has provided in posting my replies; however, I felt as though I was taking advantage of his time. Hence, I have spread my wings and left the nest.

I will not read or reply to private messages. It is not that I do not care; it is because I do not have time. If it is an urgent questions that you need an answer to then contact me by writing Jason in the subject line of our company’s customer service email. Otherwise please limit your questions to this board. This way everyone gets to see the answer.

Jericoeagle1, nice try on the A-10. I cannot express with anymore certainty that Admiral Toys Incorporated IS NOT producing the A-10 at this time. If you do not see an A-10 by BBI, 21st Century, or another welcomed edition to the 1:18 realm, then yes we will seriously entertain the production of this incredible aircraft.

Sabrefan, the Luftwaffe F-86 will be completed with production in the next month, give or take a week or two. I am hesitant to give a specific time because as you know delays are prominent in this industry and at times cannot be avoided.

Birddog look to the answer of Jericoeagle1.

der Vogelfanger, I am happy that we have provided you with a model that you are excited about.

To the statements about Eric Hartmann, you should see his silver with tulip paint scheme in the future. It is one of my favorites as well.

Regards,
Jason

Jeff Cope
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jeff Cope » Fri May 26, 2006 6:46 am

Hi Jason,

This is my first post in this section of the forums.

I'm pretty much just a figure guy. Can't really afford (either cost-wise or space-wise) armor or aircraft.

Because there simply cannot be too many 1:18 scale figures in the world, I was curious if Admiral Toys had any plans to release figures (outside of pilots included with aircraft, of course).

Thanks so much for your time!

Jeff

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Fri May 26, 2006 7:07 am

Jeff Cope wrote:Hi Jason,

This is my first post in this section of the forums.

I'm pretty much just a figure guy. Can't really afford (either cost-wise or space-wise) armor or aircraft.

Because there simply cannot be too many 1:18 scale figures in the world, I was curious if Admiral Toys had any plans to release figures (outside of pilots included with aircraft, of course).

Thanks so much for your time!

Jeff
I was wondering the same thing would be good to have another source for 1:18 figures. :)

Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Sabrefan » Fri May 26, 2006 9:32 am

Thanks Jason, I have a spot waiting for the German F-86. That baby will look great! :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Fri May 26, 2006 12:25 pm

Jeff Cope and Scope UK, I am shocked at your request. You must have seen our first attempt at figures!

We are working on improving our figures. You will see the progress we have made in a short couple of weeks. A new pilot figure will accompany the ME 262 and Luftwaffe CL-13 Mark VI. (also known as "German Sabre").

Once we have public approval of our figures you will most likely see an effort by Admiral Toys to provide you with individual and group figure sales.

Regards,
Jason

digger

Post by digger » Fri May 26, 2006 1:53 pm

Jason of Admiral Toys wrote:Jeff Cope and Scope UK, I am shocked at your request. You must have seen our first attempt at figures!

We are working on improving our figures. You will see the progress we have made in a short couple of weeks. A new pilot figure will accompany the ME 262 and Luftwaffe CL-13 Mark VI. (also known as "German Sabre").

Once we have public approval of our figures you will most likely see an effort by Admiral Toys to provide you with individual and group figure sales.

Regards,
Jason
Very honest and very excellent answer. We will wait for the "time to be right" even though the idea of a new source for figs is very exciting. :D

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Fri May 26, 2006 2:10 pm

Thanks for the reply Jason I must admit your first figure wasn't too great but hay it would be great to have another figure producer and looking at the aircraft i am sure you could do some really nice figs.

boyx30
Sergeant
Sergeant

ME-262 Nowotny Information

Post by boyx30 » Fri May 26, 2006 3:36 pm

Hello Jason and congratulations on producing great products, are you hiring? LOL.....

Anyway here is some new information on the Nowotny aircraft, I hope it is informative.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=4923

Thanks
Scott

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Fri May 26, 2006 4:48 pm

scope uk wrote:Thanks for the reply Jason I must admit your first figure wasn't too great but hay it would be great to have another figure producer and looking at the aircraft i am sure you could do some really nice figs.
Well, luckily the pilot doesn't make or break the plane! Admiral knows how to make planes! :wink:

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri May 26, 2006 11:05 pm

hmmmm after reading Jason's post, i HOPE BBI does not make the A-10
id rather see it in the Detail Admrial could make it, the F-18 and 16 are awesome models, but the lack of moving control surfaces and small things that could have been added, make my mouth dry :?

Jason... for the love of god tell your designers to make a modern Bird!!!
i dont think i could comprehende how awesome and F15,14,117,4,harrier
would be "Admiralized" maybe finally a modern Jet with control surfaces and detail beyond dreams!!!!!!

on a side note, someone needs to make a damn F-14, this thing is ICONIC
it caused the surge in Navy volunteers! it gave us the need for speed, and the want to ride a Ninja to work... :lol:
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Sat May 27, 2006 11:05 am

Boyx30, thank you for the great link to incredible Nowotny research. Producing anything German has been a source of much frustration for many manufacturers. The information is limited and the German designers and engineers never seemed to be satisfied with their initial offerings. This is why you have pieces being offered to the collectors that are pretty close, but misunderstood.

Our research and development team must work in the grey area of understanding. On one side there is black, known inaccuracies in the design and decoration of a model, on the other side is white, known details, drawings, photos of actual specimens. The grey areas are historians interpretations and the general publics understanding and what they expected to see when purchasing a model.

Many times the manufactures must offer a model that the public will accept because that is what they have grown to know and love about a particular model. It does not help that many historians have promulgated these inaccurate views and transformed them into accepted beliefs. Admiral Toys Incorporated is a victim of this. We are offering the ME 262 with the, so called, “snake skin” tail fin and yellow/orange band. You have seen the profile that we followed. This is a well known and, in my opinion, very attractive paint scheme for the “White 8.” We hope it is accepted by the consumer, we think it is a beautiful model.

Teamski, thank you for the complement. We think we are close to having our pilots match the detail and effort put into our planes. However, while in China I sat back and looked at the F-86, ME 262 and compared them to the other master models that we were approving for tooling. You would be shocked with the level of detail that has made its way into this market. Our new models are much better then even the ME 262. I am excited to see what the future brings for this market if we have come this far in only 1 and a half years of development.

Jolly Roger, thank you for the complement, to even be considered in a category with BBI or 21st Century is in itself the greatest of complements. We have nothing but respect and admiration for both companies. As for your thoughts on the A-10:

An A-10 or any modern jet is a tricky project for a manufacturer. We have looked into producing the A-10 and the cost involved. Here is the problem. The tooling cost for this model would be very, very, high. This is just the cost of making the molds. The majority of cost associated with manufacturing of these 1:18 models is in the tooling. That is why retail prices are so high. Now one can easily lower his production cost by raising the numbers produced. As you all know Admiral Toys Incorporated does not sell to mass-retailers. You will begin to notice that not being able to find our models on a shelf makes them that much more of a jewel. We are looking into mas-retail, but it will be nothing of the sort currently being offered by Admiral Toys Incorporated. Therefore, our production numbers are low. Our production costs are high. Our retail price is average in the market.

Then you have to ask yourself: how many people are willing to purchase a model with over three feet of wingspan? Everyone knows that the major limitation of purchasing 1:18 models is the storage and display space. I think the A-10 would do very well, and might be that one model that people who do not regularly purchase our products would buy.

So…. You take all of the above and put it together and you get this: Tooling of modern jets is ridiculously high, we would have to produce a lot of them (but people are limited on space we do not have mas-retailers, how many would we sell of such a large model) or price it well above $150 apiece. The easiest answer, and the answer I believe BBI came to in producing the F-16 and F-18, is to limit your tooling and production cost. You can do this by producing larger numbers or you can do this by simplifying your design.

One flap is two halves to be tooled, two halves to be injected, two halves to masked and painted, two halves to be assembled. Now multiply this by the other wing, elevators, rudders, landing gear, canopies, ordinance, airbrakes, ailerons, ammo doors, spinning beast of furry up front, pilot etc… and it really starts to add up. By not making flight controls move you are able to produce larger aircraft. Now I do not think accuracy and detail has to be sacrificed with stationary flight controls. One can produce an aircraft that will knock your socks off. You would still have the landing gear, canopies, pilots but just not that extra flare prevalent in the smaller aircraft.

I love the F-86, but it is about half the size of an A-10 “in model manufacturing terms.” This is why you will see companies producing the smaller jets with moving flight controls. Admiral Toys is afraid that we would price ourselves out of the market if we started adding all the flare to large jets.

This is a very long post that has lead me to a very short question that can be best answered by you:

Would you accept an A-10 that does not have the moving surfaces, why or why not?

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!
Regards,
Jason

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Sat May 27, 2006 11:55 am

The moving surfaces are a cool extra, but it's not too big of a deal to me. Once they're hanging from the ceiling I don't mess with them, it'll be there to look at. (I don't let anyone touch them anyway.) 8)

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Sat May 27, 2006 1:58 pm

Well, I think the F-18 has been received well enough with its limited control surfaces that most people here would buy an A-10. Though, I think there would be a fair amount of complaining because we have become accustomed to the high standards your company has set. I know I don't mess with the control sufaces once I have it displayed. However, I like knowing that I can if I should want to do it. So, my best answer is a mixed bag. Personally, I would rather pay a larger amount of money, in-say the 100 dollar price point, for more bells and whistles. Just my opinion.
Aaron
PS How is the B-25 comming along?--Okay wishful thinking, but I can hope.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sat May 27, 2006 2:56 pm

I actually think someone out there is working on an A-10 but as long as your asking...

As long as it is a good reproduction, I wouldn't mind if such movable control surfaces such as rudders ailerons and elevators were deleted since I dont use them all of my purchases are just for display. Though, it would be nice to at least have the flaps work to give you more choice in displaying it.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sat May 27, 2006 3:23 pm

If it keeps the cost down to the consumer, I can deal with not having every flight control being movable. The most important to me are the flaps, as these are easily the most visible.....

-Ski

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Movable Surfaces

Post by eddie372 » Sat May 27, 2006 6:59 pm

Hello Jason:

As always, your answers are full of insight and good information. I've learned more about this industry from you than anyone else.

I'd personally be willing to accept a complete, large model with no moving surfaces. However, it would be preferable to have a large model made in two or three separate and distinct parts that the buyer could put together. Each part could be sold as if it was a whole "smaller" model. Each section could then be made with full moving surfaces and the same amount of detail as any smaller craft, and there would be no problem with larger than usual packaging.

I realize this has been suggested before, and there may be some good reasons why this is not a practicable idea. Someone stated in a similar, prior discussion that people would only buy noses, and the manufacturer will then be stuck with a bunch of mid-sections or tails. This can probably be avoided by selling some essential parts of the aircraft with the mid-section, while others with the tail section: Wing-roots with the mid-section and wingtips with tail section; Engines with nose section and crew with tail section, etc.

I still dream of the day when you'll announce the release of the queen of all aircraft: The Boeing B-17 Super Fortress!!

Best regards.

Eddie
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat May 27, 2006 7:54 pm

I'd rather spend $80-$100 for a big plane with limited/no moving control surfaces than $150 for a big plane with all the bells and whistles. Moving control surfaces are nice but really of limited use.

And i think for the good of this hobby, and the manufacturers thereof, it is better to reach as many buyers as possible by keeping prices as low as possible, while still producing a quality product.

So bring on that fixed control surface B-17...

:D
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat May 27, 2006 8:15 pm

Jason,
When is the B-17 available?? 8) :shock: :lol:

If a full version 1/18 B-17 would be too costly, I would settle for a cross section B-17 with all the detail in the individual stations with detailed 1/18 B-17 flight crew. That would be the BOMB! :mrgreen:

At this point the first company that could come out with a 2 or 4 engine WWII Bomber would win the 1/18 scale X PRIZE in my opinion.
It would be instant gold.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Sentinel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sentinel » Sat May 27, 2006 11:44 pm

Hi Jason,

I find myself very much looking forward to reading your posts.

I have to say that AT’s Sabre jet is one exceptional plane and I congratulate everyone involved. It’s the first 1/18 scale plane that I’ve actually gifted out … several times already. Many thanks for that very special offering.

As for control surfaces, except for flaps I would actually prefer rudder, elevators and ailerons that would not move and thus would stay straight (and not loosen up over time). This would apply for the jets as well as any other aircraft.

Some misc;
Since it’s first mention here, I now know of several folks (that don't collect 1/18 scale) who would jump at the chance to display a huge classic B-17 in their homes. It’s the favorite of so many, many people. I also know quite a few 1/18 collectors who would eagerly make it the centerpiece of their collections - and as fast as they possibly could. Me being one of them.

Lastly please suggest to the correct party at AT that the correct dihedral be seen to on any future AT planes (where applicable). This has been one of my biggest disappointments with so many other manufactures WWII aircraft.

Many thanks!

Flytiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Flytiger » Sun May 28, 2006 9:04 am

Because my collection is strictly WWII, the A-10 isn't really an issue. (Now, for personal reasons, and this may give away my age, if someone goes crazy and makes a Phantom II in 1:18 things will have to change.)

As for moving control surfaces, my experience has been they can become a nuisance if they are cycled very many times. Who among us hasn't had to drag out the ladder to fix something hanging up there with one flap out or one-half of an elevator not lined up. And how much glue has been used to put a part back on when you find yourself standing there with a part in your hand or that has fallen to the floor? (The gear doors on the BBI Mustangs come to mind.)

I may be a bit unusual as a consumer/collector of these things in that the price of the product is not the determining factor on whether I'll buy another one. Historical significance is more important, hence some of them have been completely repainted into the markings of various aces and I've made corrections to others - some of which are frustratingly obvious, others are just my nit-picking.

So, if it's $39 at WalMart or $50+ shipping online, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of building a collection of historically significant display aircraft. Hence, should someone announce they are going to deliver B-25's at $195 retail, I'll start putting money away for four of them and get an order in somewhere as soon as they'll accept it. (Should the first one be Jimmy Doolittle's Tokyo raider, that just makes it easier.)

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon May 29, 2006 9:23 am

Bring on the A-10 Warthog in 1/18 scale with no moving flight controls and a cannon that dosen't rotate as fas as I'm concerned. I've said this many times before and I'll say it again.........as long as it has the quality of the F-18 and F-16 that bbi has produced, I'll be a very very very very happy camper. Just give us working gear, canopy, ordinance, and a pilot figure. Heck, the ladder dosen't even have to work. Now if you want to go all out and price it up there, I'll still buy them.... :wink: :D

Just somebody make an A-10 in 1/18!!!!

Go Ugly Early in 1/18 scale!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Mon May 29, 2006 4:01 pm

Jason......

You have given VERY informative answers! Thanks so much!

In regards to tooling less moving surfaces, I think an F-14 Tomcat would be GREAT! Everyone would expect the swing wings, but I myself could care less if it had moving flaps. As long as it had swing wings, and retractable landing gear/openable cockpit, I would be content! And I am sure many of us would. Swing wings with a ratchet or locking system with detents would more than make up for the fact of a lack of moving flaps and spoilers.

Even with an F-8....I could do without its slats/spoilers as long as it had the elevating wing/fueselage.

With a phantom the only flight surface I'd expect to move are the folding wings and thats about it.

I hope you guys are considering an F-14. Right now BBI is pretty hush about anything they produce(understandably) but seems to me out of BBI, you, and 21st, you guys would probably be the first to make an F-14.

An F-22 would be great, I could do without moving surfaces on that as well as long as it had internal missle carriage.

Thanks for the informative responses!

oh and how about a skyraider?
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle