21st Century & Motorworks - the differences?

For all Forum, Computer, Message Board, or help threads!
bird
Sergeant
Sergeant

21st Century & Motorworks - the differences?

Post by bird » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:44 pm

Being from downunder we don't see alot of these products except for on the net. On eBay I have seen Motorworks vehicles listed as 21c XD.
How is that so?
Are they the same company?

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:09 am

There were some XD aircraft and vehicles that were sold under the Walmart exclusive Motorworks brand name. There is the diecast hull Tiger I, an Fw-190, a Stuka, the Checkertail P-47 and RAF P-40 to name a few. The items themselves are marked with 21st's logo and copyright.

The Motorworks boxed items generally have less accessories or detail. The Motorworks P-47, for instance, lacks the nose art the 21st boxed variant possesses. Consequently they're considered a step down from the 21st boxed toys. One exception is the Tiger I. The Motorworks boxed variant has a diecast upper hull, while the 21st boxed Tigers are all plastic. That's a step down in my opinion.

Hope this helped.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

bird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bird » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:41 am

cheers

ParatrooperCarbine
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ParatrooperCarbine » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:35 am

I agree mostly but I have (or had) MW P-47s with the nose art. And the MW Sherman was pretty sharp, as was the Bradley.

I believe the WM distribution corresponded with a temporary quality dip, but that dip carried over into non-MW items also. This is mainly reflected in paint quality and the crispness of the edges and lines on small parts such as sidearms.

To see the difference, compare the 2005 XD carded figures to the series 1 figures and the paras. Or compare the 1:6 Axis III sets to the Axis I set, Modern Foreign Weapons, etc.

Happily, this trend has been reversed. The latest XD carded figures are awesome, down to almost every detail. Same can be said of the latest 1:6 weapon sets. Mostly.

BRAVO!
My good trader/reference list:
Razor17019, raiderad6, nomo4me, SGT Fury, don, JOC, DIGGER, immeww2.

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:08 pm

Motorworks also had some of the early Forces of Valor 1/32 scale stuff in the Action series grade. A Sherman, a Halftrack and a Sturmgeschutz III, as I recall. Also some diecast planes and helicopters in various scales, though I don't know the manufacturer of those.
Geoff

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:52 pm

The Motorworks boxed items generally have less accessories or detail. The Motorworks P-47, for instance
I can't say about the MW P-47 because I never owned one, but the MW Cobra snake copter is identical in detail and accessories to the 21C version as far as I can tell, and the same goes for the MW 32X Mobelwagen and Flakpanzer IV, no difference there that I can tell from the recent 21C releases, aside from the new paintschemes.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:11 pm

Yeah the only difference I saw was the packaging well and paint schemes
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:50 pm

The first "Checkertail" P-47s that did not have the nose art were the very first run of that sculpt and had a few bugs that were worked out in subsequent releases. I think this was the breakdown of the 21c products offered in the Motorworks line:

1:18 Aircraft:
F-4U Corsair "Korean" (limited edition)
AH-1W Supercobra
P-47D "Razorback"
Bf-109E "Winter"
Spitfire
P-40
FW-190D
UH-1 Huey
JU-87 Stuka

1:18 Armor:
M4 Sherman "winter"
Tiger I "winter"
M2 Bradley "desert"
M113 APC "desert" & "vietnam"
(all vehicles were diecast)

1:32 Armor (Cold Steel) :
Panzer III E
Panther G
Sherman
M-24 Chaffee
Panzer IVH
Flakpanzer Mobelwagen
Flakpanzer Wirblewind

1:32 Armor Kits:
Panzer III E
Sherman
M-24
Panther
M3 Halftrack
SDK 7 Halftrack

Please let me know if there's anything I'm missing. The motorworks stuff seemed to have much more spotty distribution than XD stuff has today, so I might have missed something...

BTW, the 1:32 FOV Motorworks tanks also included the Matilda MkII :wink:
Last edited by tmanthegreat on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:12 pm

The winter and green-splinter camo Stukas were also offered under the Motorworks name.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:23 pm

Forgot about those - as usual, they never showed in my area! Have been added to my list in the above post :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."