What's your experience?

For all Forum, Computer, Message Board, or help threads!
eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

What's your experience?

Post by eddie372 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:25 am

OK guys, here I'm (0405 hours, EST), lurking around through the threads, reading the latest posts, contemplating all sorts of opinions and points of view, dreaming, listening to the "demands" of some, taking in the compliments of others, laughing at some of the rantings, etc.

So what's your experience when you visit this site? Mine is kind of creepy, usually finding myself alone, in the wee hours of the night, when things are quiet, almost everyone asleep. No, I do have a life! It's that I've been working the midnight shift for the past two years, so I'm in my office as I type.

Do you go through a certain order of viewing? I usually go to the 1:18 thread first, them might wander around to check on Private Messages, think about the issues and usually put my two cents at the end. How about you? Is there a routine that you follow? Do you try to figure people out by the way the write; by their cyber-demeanor? :wink:

Now, here is the hard question, for me at least. Have your feelings ever been hurt by something that someone said? Has someone ever rubbed you the wrong way? Does it matter to you if others respond to, or make comments on your postings, or do you not care at all?

Sometimes I feel as if people here could care less about what you think. Then, someone will come along and say hi, or make a nice comment, or show interest in your posting, and treat you like a friend. It puts a smile in your face and makes you want to come back, doesn't it?

Eddie
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

tderespino
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

bored with the board???

Post by tderespino » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:48 am

Hey eddie!!!

I work nights in new york and also find myself alone and bored on the board!!

At this time you had 17 views with no reply :cry:

this I think is quite normal,,, I have posted stuff and watched the views go up with no responce.

And yes I have had my feelings hurt on the board. I posted some pictures of custom figures which I spent 15 or 20 hours working on and got nothing but paint critics.

tomd

MG-42
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by MG-42 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:52 am

Actually eddie,...you should have posted this in the "Off Topic" forum. ,.....but yeah,..I have a particular routine I follow. If I get replies or PM's,...I check those first. Then I'll surf,..from one forum to the other. Which ever one I'm interested in. About your other question : Umm,..I think some can be opinionated,..and it matters whether you have an interesting topic or post, for members to respond to. Some simply reply because they share similar interest or suggestions, or just to help make you feel you're not alone or left "hanging". I think everyone on the "Board", at some point or another, have felt like they've been personally "attacked or stabbed". I feel we are here for each other,..like "Brothers in Arms",..to offer suggestions, advice, or whatever else it is pertaining to this exciting and wonderful hobby.
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

digger

Post by digger » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:08 am

We do have a lot of lurkers - much like I find myself doing on other sites occassionally. So sometimes the views will be high with no reply but it is misleading because the viewers are not members.

TD, you should know by now that most people are VERY envious of your customs skills and I would likely rob your play room if I knew what block you were on. :P For every critique I am sure there is plenty of envy. :wink:

Finally remember there is no tone in this text - what is written in jest can appear, well, rude - but that is almost always not how it is meant. At one point or another I have disagreed with everyone I am sure - even the local guys who I trade and recon with - but they know me to be er, 'outspoken' and they roll with it; nobody should ever have their feelings hurt on here :? The fact we have no name-calling and other stupidity is a testament to the board. Heated posts? This wouldn't be Cheers without some arguments, right? :D

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:56 am

I have a fairly set viewing. Like now I check my interested boards, this board first, my two 1/6 boards and eBay.

I check in at 8:15AM when my house empties and nobody is here but me and the cat. Depending on my activity I might check in during the day and then again late at night when everyone in my house calls it a night and I'm alone again.

I'm not hiding my viewing times, I just enjoy having "family time" and try not mixing family and Net time.

Have I ever been hurt on boards,......sure, we all have been by completely unknown entities in the ether. How many people on this board do we actually know? I have met personally only one guy, made great deals with five others and "talked" via PM's with another 15. That beats my other boards, one board I lurk and seldem participate because those guys will bite your head off if you ask a simple question. Most of that board is complaining about figures whether they are somebodies custom or a manufactured item. My other 1/6 board is loaded with nice guys (like this board) and the board is full of informative threads.

Most of the "hurt" I have felt has been my own fault, people striking back at something stupid I have said. Everybody says stupid things but on the Net that stupid comment is cut into stone on everybodys puter for them to see.

This is a great board, not for the information I get on actual events, equipment and the such but just conversation and news about our mutual interests......toys and dollies 8)

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:04 am

Well, usually, I look at the board during my planning periods at school and after dinner at home, and once before I go to bed--well you get the picture. But, today I am going to be reading all day long because I am home sick with the flu I picked up from my little darlings. All in all, I have a ton of fun doing this. I usually read more than I say. Most guys and gals on here are pretty tip top. Sure, everyone goes off on a tear now and then, but it is no big deal. I think most people get "onery" waiting because they just enjoy this stuff so much that the get frustrated when it doesn't show. I know I am just a big kid at heart and I think most of us are. I will go with Digger on this one; sarcasm and wit doesn't always come accross so well in type. So, take everything with a grain of salt. And, remember, HAVE FUN!
Aaron

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:51 am

I have a computer here at work, so I get to spend a lot of time here during the day. It can get a bit slow here sometimes so I split time between here, my shooting forum, and Ebay. It keeps me occupied. 8) My social schedule ususally take me away from home, so I'm not here in the evenings very often.

When I log on in the morning, I start at the bottom and work my way up. I seem to have fallen into the 1/18th web lately (bought a Hanomag to go with my RC Panzer IV last friday and won a Tiger I last night), so I save that for last. The forum in general seems to be pretty friendly and laid back, although some folks can be way too serious (e.g. Spitfire versus Mustang :wink: ).

I have yet to get my feelings hurt, but with some custom projects scheduled, that may change. :D Seriously though, the few photos I have posted were kindly received even though they were nothing tremendous. I have seen a pleasant comraderie between the members that makes veiwing and participating in this forum enjoyable. In short, I'm happy to be here. Image
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:04 am

I am on and off throughout the day, and usually hit the 1/32 scale forum first, then browse the 1/18 forum next to see if anything is going on..

I think everyone gets their feelings hurt at one time or another and if someone hasn't, its probably just a matter of time.. Like you, I have posted projects I have done in the 1/32 forum (currently have one) and have had only one response, which is disappointing and there's not much you can do about it except go on, but it does make you reconsider posting next time you have something you consider neat and want to share.. :(
Last edited by hworth18 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:25 am

I usually browse the 1/18th forum first and foremost then skip to the other forums in no particular order. I've been lucky so far and really haven't had any negative comments on what I've said, but that is due to the neutral tones I take when replying to topics. I'm not one to attack another person's views or opinions as that is what this message board is all about to begin with - to express yourself in this hobby. Rather I use this board to learn about the military world and be informed and acquire new XD releases. This board is like medicine to me now, take one visit in the day and be happy although I usually overdose more often than not! :D

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:04 am

I usually have this open a couple times during the day while at work -

The first thing I usually check out is what others find around the US - Usually when something new shows up on this site - I can expect to find the item within two weeks. I then check out whats up for trade and check out if anyone added to my posts.

Knowing others suffer from 1:18 scaleitis keeps me going -

Personally, I don't understand how someone can become upset over another person's opinion or taste. The only person that can make me upset or frustrate me is me - Everyone is allowed to express their opinion - if the opinion if off balance or rude - I don't need to tell that person their opinion is different. They already know.

Now - direct rudeness or mean remarks directed toward another board member are outright rude and childish - should not be tolarated.

So far I have seen very little of this - makes the viewing experience more enjoyable to not have to scroll through countless delusions of grandure and adolescent rants adnauseam.

I have really enjoyed this site and rate it superior compaired to board sites re other toy lines (cough starwars, cough GIJoe)

and this is my opinion.

kenhil2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by kenhil2 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:57 am

no routine, just check and reply when i can, lifes to busy for me right now to do anything else
...ken

Semper Fi

"if you haven't been there, shut the f@#k up"

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:15 pm

I'm going to move this over to the forum threads.

Personally, I'm usaully on at 12-2am PST for my usual viewing. But I also quickly check in the morning and throughout the day at work.

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

thanks

Post by eddie372 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:52 pm

Sorry guys, I guess this is a more appropriate thread for this particular posting.

I've been reading your comments regarding your browsing habits and your general impressions about this great forum. I also like this 'place' very much and generally speaking, people have been friendly and civil.

As for the subject of having your feelings hurt, or rubbed the wrong way because of someone's response to a comment made, or maybe the lack of comments, or just that feeling of being ignored, I mentioned it because sometimes I get that impression, and not necessarily about my comments or suggestions or whatever. But then again, it could be that my specific interests reside in a different place than others. We all do however, share a love for airplane toys, tanks, military figures, and that is great.

Thank you all for your comments and impressions on this subject.

Ed
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: thanks

Post by Teamski » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:49 pm

eddie372 wrote:Sorry guys, I guess this is a more appropriate thread for this particular posting.

I've been reading your comments regarding your browsing habits and your general impressions about this great forum. I also like this 'place' very much and generally speaking, people have been friendly and civil.

As for the subject of having your feelings hurt, or rubbed the wrong way because of someone's response to a comment made, or maybe the lack of comments, or just that feeling of being ignored, I mentioned it because sometimes I get that impression, and not necessarily about my comments or suggestions or whatever. But then again, it could be that my specific interests reside in a different place than others. We all do however, share a love for airplane toys, tanks, military figures, and that is great.

Thank you all for your comments and impressions on this subject.

Ed

Toys??? What "toys' are you talking about? I collect 1:18 scale models, sir! Now 1:32 scale airplanes and tanks, those are toys....... ;)

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:19 am

Now that's a shot to the 1/32 collectors.

tmanthegreat

Re: thanks

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:27 pm

Teamski wrote:Toys??? What "toys' are you talking about? I collect 1:18 scale models, sir! Now 1:32 scale airplanes and tanks, those are toys....... ;)

-Ski
I don't think he's seen the new 32x or FOV offerings - they're more of model quality than many of the 1:18 toys :wink:

Anyways, to get back on topic, I'm usually on the forum (for whatever reason) several times a day either at home or at work to the point that it has become a part of my daily routine. I'm an educator at a community college writing lab, and when business is slow, I have ample time to check the board. I usually start with the 1:18 forum first and then move my way down. Within each forum, I check the AO sightings threads to see whats being found where (and pray for sightings of something new in my area) then read the other new postings as my interest sees fit.

There's alot of information and support to be had on this forum and its always fun to be the person that finds (and reviews) a new product first 8) Sometimes, however, reading some posts can be frustrating as members find new products in one area of the country and then have them restocked, while mine never sees them. But again, there are the moments of sheer excitement when one spots a sheld full of new restockings. Also the heated discussions, while fun to observe, are a little disconcerting, since we're only talking about issues pertaining to plastic models/toys. Overall, however, this forum has been alot of fun for me!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:43 pm

I always hit the"view posts since last visit" button and I sort that way.I tend to come by alot on and off evening and at night.I think every one seems to be real nice here .i feel like you can ask almost any question here(missing antenna any one :oops: ) and not be scorned or ignored.So keep up the good works guys :D
Could not think of anything to put here.