Some Forum Suggestions

For all Forum, Computer, Message Board, or help threads!
Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General

Some Forum Suggestions

Post by Jesse James » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:25 pm

I was just thinking how great it would be to see the boards become more cohesive and solid. See some more "structure" to the forum and things.

What I was thinking was simple things like a Trade Feedback section where every member had their own feedback thread. I can provide examples of this working well at other forums if interested, and I feel it would help people get to know one another and the reliable trusted members of the boards here.

I also think it'd be nice to see maybe some diversity with an "other toys" section since that seems like a popular thing, and other ideas.

Any interest in this type of idea? I think the feedback thing at least would be a huge help.

I also think it should be implemented that there's some rules on image sizes for avatars and things. Most boards try to keep some limits because images and things do slow computers down. It's nto a problem I have personally, but I do know it can be frustrating for others, especially when images distort the size of a person's profile and their posts. It's distracting for certain.

Most boards have a 50x50 or 100x100 pixel limit on avatars, and many have a "no image in sig" rule as well. I don't think those are such bad ideas personally.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Image sizes are hard to regulate without a lot of coding. Plus, it's really hard when the images are from an outside source (ala hotlinking) because it's not uploaded to check image size. If I see an avatar too large, often times I'll remove the avatar and contact the person and ask him to upload a smaller one. And since so far I haven't heard any complaints about this, I don't think it's something to really worry about at the moment.

I think for now keeping it all 'military' talk is what this board was based on. Occasional topics on Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc pop up, but there's not enough to warrant something more than the 'off topic' threads or occasional ones posted in the 1:18 forum IMO. What makes this forum so special IS the specific military toy/collectables discussion. If we branch out into something bigger, while it might make more discussion and bring new members, it could ultimately take away from the original idea for this board going back to GroundPounder's boards. And then you'd run into problems saying things like 'Well, where do GI Joe go since it's military?' Or 'where does Indiana Jones go since there's nazi aspects to it?'

The trade feedback sounds like an idea that could happen, though since Aferg keeps tabs on it more than myself and runs most of the rules in there, it'd be his call. If he thinks it's something of great benefit, then I'll impliment it for sure. But it's not my call since I'm not in that section enough to really know if it'd help.

Good suggestions through and through!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:20 pm

Personally, I would love there to be a simple spell-check function. One existed on the old GPXD board, if I recall correctly, and its a nice little feature to have. Hopefully it would cut down on all the bad grammar some members espouse from time to time :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:03 am

I wasn't really so much suggesting you branch out into "other toys", p51, so much as you considered a single "Other Toys" section maybe under the off-topic section. I only suggest it because it's something we'd implemented at our forum to help clean up those other toy lines into one neat bunch because there were so many toys being discussed besides Star Wars... GI Joe, Star Trek, etc., etc.

I totally agree with you on detracting from the topic, that's why I was thinking something like just a generic catch-all for other toys since it sometimes gets confusing and people start new topics without considering one exists because maybe the other random OT topics pushed it out, etc.

The image thing was minor... We didn't really implement anything special other than a rule and anyone who didn't abide by it was asked to, and if they refused we just took it down for them. It's neither here nor there though.

I'm hoping the feedback thing changes though, that was the big point I actually was wanting to bring up. Everyone who's doing trading/classifieds should have their own thread so it's searchable rather than broken up and scattered. It leaves things more open with fraud and such I've found, while also forcing that awkward discussion on "Do you have anyone that can vouch for you?" type of situation when you're making a trade. I know I've dealt with a lot of guys on here now, but to be honest I forget a lot of the names as I've been around since GP's place was in its infancy.

I think that'd be a help if it's at all possible. I don't know if your forum software has the ability to merge threads but it's a fairly tedious, however rewarding effort.

Thanks for listening p51.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:25 am

I'd like to see a different color used in highlighting words in the SEARCH function--it would makelocating stuff a lot easier.

Example: if I search for "F-4 Phantom", it would be easier if "F-4 Phantom" was in yellow or red instead of the current white highlight.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu May 15, 2008 6:42 am

if everyone had their own trade feedback thread there would soon be hundreds of them and they would be moving up and down as posts are made in them. To me it would be just as hard to search that as to quickly scan the feedback sticky, which is what i do when looking to do a trade.

If there was some way of having a link button that showed up at the bottom of every post a person makes (like the 'pm' button, 'profile' button, 'website' button) that linked directly to a person's feedback thread that would be great but i don't know if that is possible or not. P-51 would know.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu May 15, 2008 9:55 am

tmanthegreat wrote:Personally, I would love there to be a simple spell-check function. One existed on the old GPXD board, if I recall correctly, and its a nice little feature to have. Hopefully it would cut down on all the bad grammar some members espouse from time to time :wink:

Man I sure could use this :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Thu May 15, 2008 10:06 am

If yous use google toolbar it hass a vory goud speil chick pregram.

All joking aside it does have one and is very good. All you do is click on the little green check button and it Goes through and spell checks it and gives you alternatives if spelled wrong of what it thinks you may have wanted to type. Plus it allows you to add words to a dictionary. Which is good for the abbreviations etc we use here.
Could not think of anything to put here.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu May 15, 2008 5:34 pm

kimtheredxd wrote:If yous use google toolbar it hass a vory goud speil chick pregram.

All joking aside it does have one and is very good. All you do is click on the little green check button and it Goes through and spell checks it and gives you alternatives if spelled wrong of what it thinks you may have wanted to type. Plus it allows you to add words to a dictionary. Which is good for the abbreviations etc we use here.
What little green check button?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Thu May 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Have to have Google toolbar installed then go to settings on right hand side of toolbar. Then options on mine it is the third down on list just put a check mark in it and it will be added to the toolbar.
Could not think of anything to put here.