PC problem---help needed

For all Forum, Computer, Message Board, or help threads!
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

PC problem---help needed

Post by dragon53 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:56 pm

My Dell C521 has a problem (my warranty expired several days ago)---the cd/dvd eject button won't work so I can't use it to open the cd/dvd tray. The only way I can open the tray is to click on COMPUTER, click on DVD and click on EJECT. However, the button works fine to close the tray.

I very rarely used the tray so I'm not sure if it's a mechanical problem with the tray button or if it's a software problem---several days ago I got a Mozilla Firefox pop-up for a new download extension, so I clicked on it without paying any attention to it.

Any suggestions on solving the tray problem?

Thanks

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:17 pm

You could try removing the drive through the device properties and then "reinstall" it so that Windows reloads the drivers and see if that does anything. You may be looking at replacing it though. If you have to, you can get a nice Lite-On dvd/cd burner for about $45 at Wal-Mart or less at Newegg.com.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:52 pm

[CAT]CPLSLADE:

Thanks for the info.
I just tried the tray button again after shutting my pc off for several hours, and now it works. Earlier today, I restarted my pc, logged off---and tried the tray button about 20 times, but it wouldn't work. I don't have a clue why it works now, but not before. I'm just glad it's working again...for now.