XM1028 120mm Canister Tank Round

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

XM1028 120mm Canister Tank Round

Post by ostketten » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:48 pm

Developed for the US Abrams MBT, this round has BALLS.... literally 1150 of them, made of tungsten!! :shock: I would hate to find myself in the beaten zone of one of these things. :cry: I believe I have discovered the worlds largest shotgun. :lol: :lol:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... /m1028.htm
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:58 am

Cool! The modern incarnation of grapeshot. I guess that with the urban combat going on these days, such a weapon would be more effective. Afterall, anti-tank rounds aren't necessairly what you need to take care of unarmored insurgents...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:06 am

It's been out for a while. we did a validation gunnery at Fort Stewart last year, and have been training with it since Jan 2007.

Crews get to fire two rounds per qualification. The Blast effect is at the muzzle (no choke). The beaten zone is pretty wide and deep. The tungstun balls are about 7.62mm so the effect is similar to a very fast machine gun.

Dispersion picks up at distance, but the initial effect does sober ones attitude about getting in front of an Abrams.
Awesome... :shock: Tungsten is a relatively dense metal so it tends to retain velocity even at considerable distances. I'd be interested to hear what you've heard or what your experiences are, but according to some sources the balls can retain lethal force as far out as 350 meters or more, wow...that's pretty impressive.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Rylau
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

BIG SHOTGUN

Post by Rylau » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:26 pm

The 105's in Viet Nam had shotgun shells filled with little steel arrows called fleschettes. The rouds were called beehives because they sounded like a swarm of bees going over head. Very effective for stopping human wave attacks, but very sloppy picking up the pieces in the morning. Bob