New season of DOGFIGHT airs tonight!

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

New season of DOGFIGHT airs tonight!

Post by warhawker » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:52 am

One of the coolest shows on the History Channel about past air combat. I set my DVR already!
http://www.history.com/minisites/dogfights/

Rogue
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Rogue » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:45 am

Season TWO
KAMIKAZE
Imperial Japan, desperate to prop up their rapidly collapsing empire, sent poorly trained volunteer pilots in suicide attacks against American naval targets. This wasn't the only time pilots used the plane itself as a weapon. German, Russian, and even US ramming tactics will be explored.
JET VS. JET
In the skies over North Korea F86s slug it out with communist MiG-15s. American pilots are in pursuit of a previously unknown glory...the title of jet ace.
THUNDERBOLT
The P-47 Thunderbolt, or Jug as it was known distinguished itself as one of the most lethal dogfighters of World War II- a classic warbird best remembered for its size, ruggedness, and reputation for protecting the pilot.
DOGFIGHTS OF THE HOLY LAND
The innovative, delta-winged MiG-21 arrives in the Middle East. Israel must acquire a fighter to counter the threat and soon settles on the French-built Mirage III. The Mirage and MiG-21 seemed destined for combat with each other...but only one will emerge as the preeminent delta-wing fighter of its day.
GUN KILLS OF VIETNAM
The era of missiles had arrived. Electronic warfare was coming of age. But when technology fails pilots are forced to do combat the old-fashioned way-maneuver in close and blow the enemy out of the sky with guns.
THE FIRST DOGFIGHTERS
Some of the greatest fighter pilots of all time engaged in epic duels over the battered landscape of France and Belgium. Fokker triplanes, Spads, and SE5s go head to head in World War I's most famous dogfights.
NO ROOM FOR ERROR
It's where a pilot can ill afford to make a mistake...but where dogfights are inexorably drawn. Down on the deck-at treetop level-the margin for error is zero.
NIGHT FIGHTERS
From Radar equipped Hellcats in the Pacific to modern stealth technology.
THE BLOODIEST DAY
May 10, 1972. The bloodiest day of air combat during the Vietnam war featured numerous twisting and turning dogfigts. Bob Lodge and Roger Locher pioneer electronic warfare and engage in one of the most exciting air battles of the war.
P-51 MUSTANG
In the European theater of world war II the P-51 Mustang proved itself to be the quintessential dogfighter and went on to become the most famous warbird in history.
DOGFIGHTS OF DESERT STORM
The planes have changed but the jeopardy remains the same. American fighter pilots pit F-15s against Iraqi MiG-25s and advanced MiG-29s as part of Operation Desert Storm.
BATTLE FOR THE FALKLANDS
The 1982 Argentine invasion of the Falkland Islands triggered war with the United Kingdom. Remarkable vertical take-off and landing Sea Harriers take on Mirages and A4s in some of the best dogfights of the modern age. The British establish air superiority but the Argentines sink several ships with wave-top level attacks in A4s.
SUPERSONIC
Stories of the development of jet aircraft and their subsequent introduction into combat. Includes stories of test pilots who were the first Germans and Americans to fly these aircraft and the great air battles that were fought through the years at Supersonic speed.
DEATH OF THE LUFTWAFFE
The Luftwaffe's last great offensive was launched on January 1, 1945...called Operation Bodenplatte. Oscar Boesch was a German pilot who took part. Sandy Moats and Alden Rigby were American pilots whose airbase was swarmed by fighters. After this day, the Luftwaffe was shattered as an effective fighting force.
TUSKEGEE AIRMEN
African-American pilots of the 332nd distinguished themselves as one of the most successful fighter groups of the war, despite the bigotry and prejudice they faced from their own countrymen.

kevrut
Officer - Brigadier General

xd

Post by kevrut » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:08 pm

Sounds good.

Will watch it. :P

Might make my daughter watch it with me. (Kicking and screaming.) :lol:

Kevin.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:46 pm

Excellent show and one of my current favorites on the History Channel 8) The new season sounds great! I'm glad to see some more ETO dogfights being highlighted, as well as Desert Storm.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:50 pm

The first show of the season on Kamikaze's was breathtaking. Unbelievable, even for those of us who know something about the tactics.

You must see that show on the repeats....

Even more awesome is the German unit flying ME-109's into bombers. They weren't susposed to die just crash into a bomber and parachute to the ground and take up another Me.......The first one actually hit and crashed TWO B24's in the same pass and lived to tell the tale.

AWESOME show. Talk about hero's, those tin can sailers attacked by 50 Kamikaze's....WOW.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:53 pm

It was pretty cool to see the German ramming tactics.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:36 pm

It was an excellent show 8) I was quite pleased when it went on for two hours and included the part about the German ramming unit. The graphics are also getting much better and now they seem to include more "people" in the graphics - such as the bomber aircrew bailing out or the AA gunners on the destroyer. I eagerly await the next installment this friday :D

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:14 pm

Are all of the new episodes going to be two hours long?

That would be nice. :P

Kevin.

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:31 pm

Man i watched that kamikaze one and it was great!! :D Wished i could of recorded it :cry:
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:57 pm

I agree 100% with Tman's comment about the AA gunners and the aircrew parachuting.

My only comment is about the AA gunners, I'd like to see a full gun crew, in the real world every 20mm AA gun had two ot three guys feeding the gun with the ammo drums. One guy standing there firing the gun by himself is going to fire, maybe 5 to 10 seconds and he's got an empty drum.

Maybe next year they will show us a full crew in action. Just hope they don't get too realistic next year showing realistic battle damage to our guys. Ships can get very messy in a battle. Not too much a sailor can get thrown against in a steel ship that's no gonna hurt really bad... :shock:

I am looking forward to this weeks episode...

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:54 pm

good to hear that there's a second season; i bought the boxed set of the first season and enjoyed all the shows, plus the bonus footage. I did find the format a bit repatative from show to show and wished it had been a little less US oriented, though.

Some of the shows scheduled in the second season sound very similar to those of the first (jet vs. jet in korea, gunfight in vietnam, mig 21 over the holly land). I was hoping for a show about the battle of britain and another about hunting u-boats (the Yamato/Bismarck shows in the first season were two of my favourites.....i liked the idea of throwing ships into the mix). I'm hoping eventually we see tank vs tank 'dogfights', like a show on Wittman at Villers Bocage, for example, or 88's hunting allied tanks during WWII.

The Kamikaze show sounds great. Looking forward to seeing that one a lot. I'll be getting the season two boxed set for sure, when it's available.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:42 am

This is possibley one of the best series I have seen on the History Channel yet. Season one was awsome and it looks as though season 2 should be even better. I cant wait for the Mustang episode which was originally to be about the 352nd FG. I wonder if we will ever see an episode about the F4U Corsair? Other then that so far so good with Dog Fights I havent missed one yet.

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:58 am

i watched the dogfights 'kamikaze' episode on youtube, since it won't be aired in canada for a few months yet, but it was only a standard length episode, not 2 hours long.

Was the kamikaze episode itself 2 hours or did they air two different episodes back to back on the first night?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

csiemers
Corporal
Corporal

Post by csiemers » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:27 am

aferguson wrote:i watched the dogfights 'kamikaze' episode on youtube, since it won't be aired in canada for a few months yet, but it was only a standard length episode, not 2 hours long.

Was the kamikaze episode itself 2 hours or did they air two different episodes back to back on the first night?
If I remember correctly it was Japan's the 1st hour, then German's the 2nd hour.
-Cary
http://www.wwiivehicles.com

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:04 pm

csiemers wrote:
aferguson wrote:i watched the dogfights 'kamikaze' episode on youtube, since it won't be aired in canada for a few months yet, but it was only a standard length episode, not 2 hours long.

If I remember correctly it was Japan's the 1st hour, then German's the 2nd hour.
Yep, that's how it aired here.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:44 pm

What happened to the show last night? I was eager to watch the new one on the WWI dogfights, but instead got a "Human Weapon" re-run. Guess that show is the bigger seller :roll:

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:53 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:What happened to the show last night? I was eager to watch the new one on the WWI dogfights, but instead got a "Human Weapon" re-run. Guess that show is the bigger seller :roll:
I was wondering the same thing. I turned on the tube, scrolled through the guide/listings and "Human Weapon" was on instead. I went to The History Channel's website and the page for Dogfights and it showed that it was still showing at its regular time. Don't know what happened.... :? :roll:
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:00 pm

I just looked over the History Channel's website and it is showing Dogfights will be shown on Thursday night this week at 10 pm eastern time. I guess it has been moved to Thursdays instead of Fridays now. The episode this Thursday will be the one on WWI fighters.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!