You never know what you find when your house cleaning.

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

You never know what you find when your house cleaning.

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:22 pm

I was at the Olympia Air Museum a few weeks ago looking around. They know me pretty well so sometimes I get to go places the general public can't. I took some photos of things that were in storage there.

Once the Terror of London this V-1 sits all but forgotten around boxes of paper, junk, and maintenance supplies.

How about the piloted version, meant for the German Suicide Squadrons

This Coast Guard Veteran sits waiting its turn for restoration. It will join the Museums 3 air worthy Cobra Gunships, 2 Hueys, and Husky (one of only five flying in the world)

This BAC Lightning waits as well. It will join a Hawker Hunter and Canadian F-104 waiting for restoration as well. The Museum tries to restore all of its aircraft to flying condition.

Just as an aside, here is one of the "Tora-Tora-Tora" AT-6's on display. It still participates in mock battles with a Austrailian Corsair that also resides here.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:33 pm

How do you forget about a V-1 rocket. What a great find.

immeww2
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by immeww2 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:11 pm

Nope. I'm still lookin!!!! :D :D :D

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:14 pm

I just found mine it was under a Huge stack of magazines. :lol:

oh look what else I found....a Tiger 1 in the garage under an old car tarp :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:19 pm

immeww2 wrote:Nope. I'm still lookin!!!! :D :D :D
Try looking between the couch and the cushion. :lol:

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:25 pm

dang it - i've been sitting on this Panther the whole time......
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:35 pm

dang it, tried looking under the cushion and all I found was the old couch.

Although kind of reminds me when my dad and I pulled an old trailer from behind a shed on the farm. This thing was covered in weedy vines and blackberry bush along with some other old farm equipment. We decided to pull the trailer out with the intention of sprucing it up so we could use it to transport irrigation pipes around the farm. It wasn't until we moved it indoors for a quick initial clean up that we realised the axle that was used on the trailer was originally the front axle from a chevy army truck (almost a perfect match for the axles found on WWII British L.R.D.G Chevrolets). Makes me wonder the fate that befell the rest of the truck!
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:58 pm

About 100 years ago I had a business buddy in Memphis, TN who drove country roads looking for anything interesting. One day he's driving through farmland and he sees something green way over a field near a row of trees. He pulls in and asks the farmer what's over there and military green.

Farmer says...."That's a bunch of half-tracks......the Army used my field storing half tracks in WW2 and they made me a deal at the end of the war to trade me a bunch of tracks for the last months lease on the field".....he says "I thought I could use them on the farm but that never worked out.....are you interested in them?"

My buddy goes out and looks them over. They were 16 or 17 M-16's and M-16A1's sitting in a row. Bat wing armor just laying in the weeds. My buddy got a friend interested and they bought all the vehicles. Funny thing is almost half of the vehicles cranked right up and was able to drive up on the trailer. That after sitting in the weather for almost 30 years.

They restored them, one at a time for collectors. I was in their shop which was next to this guy's machine shop where he was legally rebuilding Ma Duece's. Boy, TN, you just gotta love a state where you can buy a live .50 cal to mount on your MV.

You just never know what you're gonna find. :wink:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:57 am

Hey Jerico, Go pull a tape on that thing for me would you buddy? I still need a good set of scale plans for Kamakazi's contest!! :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller