Essential Aviation Reading

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Essential Aviation Reading

Post by MiG29K » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:39 pm

Recently a lot of glossy coffee-table books have come out that are worth taking a look at. A new book on NSAWC Strike Warfare Center at Fallon has come out as well and eventually I'll pick that one up. Also included are a couple of lucky finds. The two book set with The Cutting Edge and Wings I got in immacculate condition at a Half Price Books for 15 dollars. (Good backup for the original copy of 'Edge I got back in school) I got the Glossy of Final Touchdown on sale at a local store for 11 bucks. These were the first peaks into East German Air Power...New Stuff: The F-14 book which covers first hand pilots' perspective has pretty rockin' photography as does Giampalo Agostinelli's Where sea meets the sky I also have books relating to Ground Troops and Equipment, also "Coffee Table Style" books that too kick ass and I'll have to dig those out. Check it out and if you see it on the shelves at your local store PICK IT UP. You'll want to look over them for hours on end. (Pics are large, click mid mouse button to scroll around)

The Uncovering Series needs no further intro...highly detailed and excellent!

Warbird Tech Series: I've skimmed through a number of these. The one covering the F/A-18 doesn't have an extensive array of photos but I'm sure the info in it is nonetheless interesting...

??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:23 pm

I enjoy these coffee table type books too. I don't have any of the ones you have pictured specifically, but I do have a few in the Warbird Tech series.... "F-105 Thunderchief" and "F-4 Gun Nosed Phantoms", both are excellent. A couple that I have in my library that you might enjoy are Janes at the controls series "how to fight and fly in the F-14 Tomcat", (a must have for serious Tomcat fans) and from the publishers of Aviation Week and Space Tehcnology "F-105 Thunderchief, Workhorse of the Vietnam War" a real coffee table classic. BTW, the bottom of your banner reads "SLAVA!", (an orthodox christian custom of celebrating a family patron saint)... any idea what the top part says??

Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by MiG29K » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:45 am

ostketten wrote:A couple that I have in my library that you might enjoy are Janes at the controls series "how to fight and fly in the F-14 Tomcat", (a must have for serious Tomcat fans) ... BTW, the bottom of your banner reads "SLAVA!", (an orthodox christian custom of celebrating a family patron saint)... any idea what the top part says??
Hey Ostketten... Slava translated from Russian is "Glory" and I take it that it too has alternate translations as you referenced. The top word, I couldnt get a literal translation for... The other text says "Red Army" (Krasnaya Armii) I believe this was from the Great Patriotic War (WWII in our parlance) That F-14 book you have sounds like something I'd like to get. When was it published? Is it still avail. as far as you know?

R
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:46 am

Slava translated from Russian is "Glory
Hey Mig, thanks for translation, yeah it makes perfect sense now, very unusual for the Soviets to invoke slogans with a religious theme, just was not their style. Check here for the book... http://www.amazon.com/Janes-Fight-F-14- ... F8&s=books First published in 1999, it looks like it has gotten a little pricey in the meantime. A couple places you might check as well are ebay and half.com, good luck.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"