Good armoured train books?

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Good armoured train books?

Post by aferguson » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:37 pm

Anyone know of any good books on armoured trains? Any country, any era.

I want book(s) with large colour sideview illustrations. If anyone can point me to some, that would be great.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:40 pm

Anyone know of any good books on armoured trains? Any country, any era.

I want book(s) with large colour sideview illustrations. If anyone can point me to some, that would be great.
This is a somewhat obscure topic for sure, and there is not exactly a wealth of published material out there. I have this book in my library... http://www.amazon.com/Armored-1917-1945 ... F8&s=books and it has the kind of pictures you are looking for, but all are in black and white. Schiffer is well known for the quality of their books, and this one is no exception, but it's not exactly "encyclopedic" in nature. The Soviets were probably the largest users of armored trains to the best of my knowledge. Hope this is of some help.

Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:55 pm

Thanks for the help.......i was going to try and scratchbuild one, using the book i was looking for as a reference but as luck would have it i found a paper model of a polish wwii armoured train. Already ordered. :) Kit includes armoured locomotive, artillery cars, assault car (which carried troops) and flat cars. It's in 1/25 but can easily be scaled up to 1/18. I'll just build a portion of it as the entire finished kit would be around 20 feet long!

Armoured trains are obscure for sure but i've always thought they were pretty neat. The Polish armoured trains were used quite a bit in the brief war with Germany. They caused many German delays and set backs during the campaign and were probably Poland's single most effective weapons system at the time. Germany subsequently used captured Polish trains in Russia for anti partisan duties.

I also found paper models of a Russian armoured artillery car and a german one too but didn't bother with them as they were just single cars and i wanted the whole train, which i got with this kit. :)

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:08 pm

Good luck with your projects Aferg. The back of the book has a pic of a model in the Tallin naval museum, a Soviet 180mm railway gun, note the massive trails sticking out from the platform to keep it from de-railing under recoil :shock: I can't be sure from looking at the pic, but the model could be around 1/18th scale or very close to it, what do you think??

Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:00 am

Here's an interesting link if you want really modern armored train. Used by the Serbs in Croatia. Can anyone give me an idea of what tank they used as the basis for this (look in third photo)?

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/album04
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:46 pm

My Polish armoured train card model came today. Looks pretty cool. A bit intimidating but cool. I think i'll just do the armoured locomotive and one artillery car and then maybe build the rest of the train in stages over the years. Those two pieces alone will be about six feet long.

It's amazing to see how card models are improving, just like all other types of models. This one has beautiful rich, accurate colours, weathering, the whole bit.

gary1930
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gary1930 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:24 pm

I have these two. Both are very interesting.