TENNESSEE MUSEUM of AVIATION

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

TENNESSEE MUSEUM of AVIATION

Post by RED » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:16 pm

Hey y'all--- found a museum with some of the aircraft we all love. :D http://www.tnairmuseum.com/Aircraft.htm Has anyone here been to this museum or the one in POOLER,GA--Which is the home of the( MIGHTY 8th) 8th ARMY AIRCORP???? ---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by mikeg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:27 am

I have'nt been to the Tennessee one, but the 8th museum is a great stop over between Atlanta and Hilton Head or Savannah during vacations. This museum is has employed surviving 8th veterans as guides and narrators. Their is an incredible amount of personal items on display- flight jackets, paperwork, pictures, down to pistols, holsters, etc. It seems like alot of attic family finds end up here, too. There is also a static p-51 and me-163 comet on display. They have a narrated mission prep scenario in quonset hut type setup, and in flight scenario with great special effects- lots of noise and cold air blowing through the room- Outside the building is a large walking and reflective area with plaques memorializing individual lost bomber crews and discribing their missions, And very touching is the small reproduction of and English church containing the stained glass image of a bomber crewman looking up at a beckoning angel- An exceptional museum, indeed.

NEETSO2001
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by NEETSO2001 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:59 pm

I have been there a couple of times.They had a warbird weekend back April 1st and 2nd.They had a P47,P51, TBM,A26, 2 Corsairs,T28 and a few others.The museum has 2 P47's,the TBM,Sabre,Mig and some other aircraft that stay there full time.They did have a PBY but it was not there this trip.They also have Jimmy Dolittle's Medal of Honor on display.Overall if you are in the Gatlinburg area it is well worth the trip.I have seen the P47's out flying on several occasions.

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:31 pm

Hey y'all ---Thanks alot -- great info---BOSS HOGG-- where abouts in TENNESSEE do you live???? I'am from the LAFOLLETTE area (north up I-75 from KNOXVILLE) but I live in GEORGIA now!!! :cry: GO BIG ORANGE!!!! :D :D :D :D ---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]