88 gun Comparison

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

88 gun Comparison

Post by NHoggard12 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:55 am

Were the guns used on the late-modeled jagdpanther and the porsche turret (double-block) king tiger the same?
They both have 88s with two sections to the gun.

thanks

PanzerArm
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 88 gun Comparison

Post by PanzerArm » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Both the king tiger and the Jagdpanther used the monobloc and 2 piece barrels. This was caused by the higher muzzle velocity of the 88mm L/71 weapon (which caused wear on the barrel) and it was easier to swap out a two piece barel compared to a one piece. Because ot this later versions of the weapon had the 2-piece. As far as being the same gun, I am going to have to give you a mixed answer here.

In nomenclature they are not: the guns used in the Jagdpanther were known as PaK (Panzerabwehrkanone or Panzerjagerkanone depending on who you ask), and the guns in the KT were called a KwK (Kampfwagenkanone). The monobloc gun for the Jagdpanther was known as the PaK 43/3, and the later 2-piece was the PaK 43/4. The monobloc in the KT was called the KwK 43/2, and the 2-piece known as the KwK 43/3. Now in design these weapons were pretty identical. They fired the same rounds, with the same performance. IMO the only reason they were known by different names was because of the vehicles they were mounted in. The jagdpanther and king tiger's guns being mounted in a tank destroyer (Panzerjager) and tank (panzerkampfwagen)repectively gave the creators reason enough to differentiate their titles. Also, I'm sure the construction of a PaK 43/4 and KwK 43/3 required different fittings and other compoents to fit in their different vehicles, with the guns themsleves being largely the same.

Now your specific question related to the late model jagdpanther which would have had the externally bolted mantlet and the 2-piece barrel, and a porsche king tiger withe the 2-piece barrel. These guns would have been the PaK 43/4 and the KwK 43/3 (the same gun on henshel KT). Like I stated above, they are identical in everything but probably how they were mounted i the vehicles and how their creators wanted to name them, little else.

Hope this isn't too "rivet-counter"ish, I really am trying to answer this question to the best of my ability :lol:

-Kevin

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: 88 gun Comparison

Post by NHoggard12 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:34 pm

Really great information, and yes, you answered the question just fine!
I was thinking of swapping the barrels for a custom or something; just wanted to be somewhat historically correct.

thanks!