Matilda Mk II References?

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Matilda Mk II References?

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:12 pm

I'm getting ready to do a custom project where I will repaint a FOV 1:32 Matilda Mk II tank from its North Africa scheme to one representing a tank from the British 1st Army Tank Brigade at the Battle of Arras in May 1940.

Does anyone have any information on cammo schemes applied to BEF tanks in 1940 as well as a reference for tank ID numbers, insignia, etc for the 1st Army Tank Brigade?

A color profile drawing, picture of a model, or even a photograph of a British tank from that period would be perfect I've got plenty from the North Africa campaign, but nothing from earlier.

Thanks for your help :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:29 am

Thanks for the help, Grognard! The picture you provided is quite helpful.

Shortly after reading your post, I also came across this website, where a model-builder attempted a similar project with the Tamiya Matilda kit: www.militarymodelling.com/news/article.asp?a=3747. The info and pictures are exactly what I was needing. There are a lot of useful refereneces to the differences between a Battle of France Matilda and the North Africa version. The tank seems to have an overall dark green on lighter (kahki) green cammo, which can just be made out in the pics.

As I'll be using the FOV Matilda, I won't be able to raise the bogey wheels, change the MG mantlet or make all the smaller modifications, but at least I can remove the fuel drum and get the overall appearance somewhat accurate. That is good enough for me :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:50 am

PM Sent.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"