Ambush...aka "Rukajarven Tie"

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Ambush...aka "Rukajarven Tie"

Post by ostketten » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Another great Finnish war movie, "Ambush".... (Rukajarven Tie in Finnish)
Got this DVD thru my Netflix membership, really great stuff.... here is the synopsis: "Ambush takes place in the first days of World War II in Russian Karelia by the Finnish border. A young lieutenant is sent on a reconnaissance mission behind enemy lines, leaving his beautiful fiancee behind. During his mission, he receives the tragic news that she has been killed by the Russians. Now, the war is personal. The young blue-eyed officer changes into a killing machine." This is a great war action/drama film, I highly recommend it, in Finnish language with English subtitles. We now have four really good WWII era films out of Finland: "Talvisota" (aka The Winter War), "Ambush" (aka Rukajarven Tie), "Beyond Enemy Lines" (aka Framom Framsta Linjen), and "Tali-Ihantala 1944". For anyone who has seen any of these I would also recommend the 2005 documentary "Fire and Ice: The Winter War of Finland and Russia". Part of the fascination I have with these films was the ability of a tiny nation like Finland to withstand the overwhelming power of the Soviet Red Army, and come away from it more or less victorious.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"