Thought you guys might find this interesting!

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
boyx30
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thought you guys might find this interesting!

Post by boyx30 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:07 pm

These are movies made from flight sims...however there are many actual gun camera footage included as well...enjoy!

http://pauke.ee.ethz.ch:8732/oberstgunc ... index2.htm

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:47 am

That's some pretty fun stuff. :)

I only watched one all the way through. Pretty cool. Be advised though that the accuracy leaves A LOT to be desired. I watched the one about the V1. The V1 test at the beginning has the V1 hitting a target ship in the Baltic. V1's were in fact very inaccurate...they were doing well if they hit London let alone a single ship!

Various attacks take place on this secret V1 facility. The first attack is by Russian Pe-2 twin engine bombers but they are flown with british markings and by british pilots for some reason!??

A later attack by Russian Pe-8 4 engine bombers; same thing they are flown with british markings and by british pilots? Do the designers of these sims have something against the Russians?

The planes themselves look pretty accurate (except for the spurious markings) and there are lots of good camera angles etc. There are also a few spelling mistakes in the subtitles :)

Overall, though lots of fun. There are several different ones to watch too. Thanks for the link!

boyx30
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by boyx30 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:02 pm

Actually Andrew, I believe that the SIM this film (V-1) was created from was the IL-2 that Teamski and I told you about a few month ago which was in fact created by Russian designers. There are some much better films on the site...and some are created using a multiple of flight SIM programs (I think they have way too much time on their hands)...not like our 1/18 hobby that is. Did you catch the real footage...there are some I've never seen before. The Sims that are coming in the next few years will certainly be awesome in their graphic quality. Oh the reason that the marking were all odd is becuase the SIM is based on the russian front so it only includes planes that were used during that time more or less and doesn't quite cut the Battle of Britain era of the war....but they'll be covering that shortly..this year in fact.

Scott

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:37 pm

i'll have to check out some more of the sims when i get a chance. But why didnt they just put the Russian planes in Russian markings? The setting of the sim was in the baltic..

anyway it's a way cool link for sure :D

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:54 pm

You know, the sad thing is that I haven't bought Pacific Fighters yet, shame,shame...... :roll:

Great site there. They really pegged it! You just can't beat Forgotten Battles..............

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:21 pm

Interesting & fun stuff. Definitely time on their hands-good for us though.
Todd