Opel / Ford connection

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

Opel / Ford connection

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Does anyone know of a good book or site that has exact info about the connection pre WWII? Is the Blitz Opel Truck the same as the Ford? I have read that Ford had a plant in Germany? I need a truck expert...

ketelone

Re: Opel / Ford connection

Post by ketelone » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:21 pm

I don't believe they are the same. Ford had a plant in Germany and the Germans did use Ford vehicles in WWII. There was a controversy regarding Ford profiting from the war and from the Germans. I believe there was also a Ford plant in the Soviet Union too.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

ledhead0085
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Opel / Ford connection

Post by ledhead0085 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:49 pm

i believe when the germans took over the ford plant in germany they continued making the truck cabs and putting them on the opel frames. there also was a lot of civilian ford trucks around that where pressed into military service,
in russia the old ford stampings where sold to russia through the lend lease as aid. they where made from the company gaz. they where old stampings from prior years that ford wasn't producing anymore. but their frames where modern.
i have some books that are about the trucks used by the germans. ill look for them maybe i can send them to your email.