I need help making a big decision!!

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
dfoos
Sergeant
Sergeant

I need help making a big decision!!

Post by dfoos » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:24 pm

I have been collecting 1/18th for a few years now and I am just realizing that I really don't use it for anything. I am a wargamer at the core, so anything I buy I usually look at from that perspective. I also have so many different scales. I collect 1/285th GHQ stuff, N scale and 1/144th stuff, 15mm FOW stuff, 1/72nd stuff, 1/32nd, and 1/18th. I have stayed away from 1/48 because I didn't need another scale. I am running out of room and figure that my 1/18th Stuff doesn't do anything but sit on shelves. It's gotten bad enough that I have begun putting new stuff straight into boxes for storage without even displaying them. I have probably several thousand dollars worth of xd, from figures, vehicles, buildings, planes, tanks, etc... I need help making a big decision. I'm thinking about selling or trading it away. I really want to concentrate on smaller scales that can actually be used for wargaming and 1/32 can also be used as display too. what do you guys think. Should I sell it? If so, should I sell it piecemeal or try to sell the whole collection. Besides just a couple of planes, I think I need to sell it all. If I keep a few pieces, I'll always be tempted to add to it. Also, I don't want to do ebay, I know I can make more money that way, but that's not the point. I would rather sell it all for a lower price and see it all go to a good home, plus not have to ship out a million individual boxes. Is there anyone looking to pick up an entire collection out there? Or anyone want to trade for some smaller scale stuff I can use? I really want to end up getting the conte buildings for the 1/32nd stuff, or maybe some nicely painted 15mm stuff.

Anyone interested. let me know, I'll post pics if there is any interest in this stuff, but I can give a quick rundown here:
Buildings:
XD Farmhouse Missing roof
XD barn
XD Brick building front
(lots of extras, like little furniture, food, sacks and crates and even cows in the barn that I have collected over the years.
A Communications shack
a watch tower
and more
Vehicles:
two half tracks, grey and eastern front camo
Xd grey kubelwagen
Grey XD Tiger,
Winter Panther
Eastern front color Pz. IV
Pioneer Hano
Pak 40 Hano
2X grey Pak 40
1 Eastern Front Pak 40 (still in box)
Lots of XD Troops
some dragon Troops
S1 Stuka
Desert Stuka
Bf109 red nose
FW190 Green & Grey splinter camo (I think)

US:
a green Solido canvas top jeep
21st c. Winter Jeep
Winter Half track
Green half track
2x Dodge command car (not patton version but I have two patton figures in winter coats with dogs in them
Green xd Sherman
Winter xd Sherman
BBi Sherman
2x Dodge weapons carriers trucks
XD Half track quad 50
1 Maisto Indian scout bike with added rifle butt sticking out of rifle sheath.
BBi Mustang Silver
BBi Mustang Old Crow, (still in box)
XD Avenger grey s1
BBi Corsair
Tons of XD troops from S1 to Bulge to Dday as well as lots of BBi troops and Paratroopers

I know that's not all, but I can't remember everything right off hand, I can do a complete inventory later if there is anyone interested.

What I don't want to happen in to have someone say "I just want your Kubelwagen" I dont want to just pick through the best parts and leave the rest. I want to get rid of it all either in one big lot or a couple of smaller ones. Please understand that I an a VERY reasonable person and I have an open mind about trades etc... But I do have some limitations on my time etc.. so Please only answer this if you have a serious offer ok? Ok, Well if you have any ideas let me know too, I hope to make someone really happy with this. (any my wife also).

Thanks, and hope to hear from someone,

Dennis
Last edited by dfoos on Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:44 pm

I moved this to the Trade forum.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:50 pm

Oh.... and I reached your point a long time ago. I decided to stick with 1:18 and do away with all other scales. Reason? With the load of 1:32 stuff out there, it was better to go with fewer pieces that were bigger, taking less shelf space and less money over the long run. Sounds odd, but it cleared a lot of clutter!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:00 pm

Dennis,
We have all come to this point at some time in our lives. We collect something and then loose interest or don't have enough room or whatever. My .02 cents is if you feel you have come to a crossroad, take a little bit of time and determine the best course of action. Offering it up to the board is a great ideal. Many of us would love to own the collection you have. I just hate to see you sell off your collection only to have sellers remorse and rebuy it all again. (I have seen it happen).
Ebay can be a hassle for someone with little time, but be a nice source of income for future collecting in another scale or hobby. By dividing the items up into similar type lots, (Buildings together, German vehicles together, etc) you could probably get higher bids.

Whatever course of action you pursue, make sure it's something you can live with and makes you happy! :D
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:07 pm

Id make sure that your really wanting to stop collecting 1/18 and selling off your whole 1/18 collection. Like what Razor said make sure that whatever you do is what will make you happy and can live with. 8) Also if you decide to sell, sell in groups like all bob stuff together and like all normandy stuff together. Those will attract more attention to buyers. Hope this helps 8)
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:35 pm

If in doubt do nothing. A motto i have lived by and it has served me well.

Make 100% sure you want to sell your 1/18 stuff before taking any action. Once you decide you are sure you want to get rid of it i would sell it one piece at a time. Perhaps more trouble but you'll make far more money that way; money you can put towards the scale(s) you do decide to pursue...or towards other areas of your life.

Also, it gives you a cushion regarding your decision. If after selling a few pieces of 1/18 you are starting to regret your decision it means not too much to buy back, as opposed to selling the whole thing at once.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:58 pm

My 2 cents in this thought is:

In all the time I have been collecting 1/18 and other classes, I never had them in one room. My bunker filled up fast (especially with 1/6) and I spread all over the house. Truth to tell, I really forgot what I had. With my recent move, I have put ALL my 1/18 in one place. It is amazing. It's like a new hobby. Especially with the battle damage (read moving boxes damage) that will require me to dig in and fix stuff. I have months of work ahead if you include my broken or snapped off 1/6 stuff. I work on my toys an hour a day.

You can get burned out but you never know what's around the corner. :wink:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:17 pm

K here's my opinion ( pretty much what Aferg said I guess ). Sell about a third of it, wait a month and spend your profit on some 32x stuff. If after about a month your pining for your 1/18th stuff back then keep your remaing stuff, sell your new 32x items and try to buy back the stuff you sold. If though your really content once you sell your intial bit of XD stuff and are barely missing it then sell the rest either here or on eBay.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

digger

decision

Post by digger » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:04 pm

I am on the other side - if you can get out then do it. If I knew a local collector who would put me out of my misery I would do it.

Dennis, I know you are a wargamer - 1:18 is just not for that. Also, it is a slowing scale, while others are growing. Finally, regardless of the occassional piece, XD is not a great investment from purely a monetary standpoint. The stuff takes up a lot of room so if a plane that cost $50 five years ago gets you $100 now, you have to ask yourself is that a return worth your money/time/effort/space?

Personally I would just keep a bunch of figs, because that is one thing 1:18 has that smaller scales don't, and you could store 50 in a shoe box. :wink:

olifant

Post by olifant » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:16 pm

PM Sent
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:45 pm

All I can say is I started out with XD from day one. Had A bunch then do to ribbing by some of my friends for collecting"boy toys" I sold it all off. Now I kick myself for doing it. I have started and stopped a few times now. I Regret big time ever selling any of it now I am in the slow process of trying to get back what I had. So to get to the chase as others have said make SURE! this is what you want.
Could not think of anything to put here.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:23 pm

I too was at the same cross road... I took many of the guy here advice and stop buying new stuff and stop collecting for a while...

I am thankful i never sold any of my stuff...

hay just take time a way from your collection.....

if you want to sale then any of the guys on this message board will give your baby a good homes...

but take time away from your collection put your collection in storage for a while to see if you miss it...

after three month if you still feel the same the by all mean trade or sale down to a smaller scale

some time life get frustrating but it not a forever thing...
whats up doc....

dfoos
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dfoos » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:47 am

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies so far, I have already gotten several pm's and I will answer them all here soon. Just not tonight, I just got home and I'm beat.
I really have put alot of thought into this, since last summer, I guess I just need to get some opinions before I jump in head first. By the way, I do have TONS of 1/32nd stuff, so I won't be hurting for toy's and I'm keeping my 1/18 modern collection I have in my office at work, but
I do think I really need to downsize a little. I am going to keep my 1/18 p-38 though, that's too nice to get rid of (that's why I didn't include it on the list).
Anyway, thanks again for all your input, and yes to reiterate, I would much rather sell them to you all for much less than to do ebay. Money really isn't the point, and where I would like to make a little to get some of the conte buildings sets (around $300.00 apiece), I also would like to help out ppl on the forum who will get enjoyment out of them. That means more to me than squeezing every last nickle out of them.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:32 pm

I had a small collection of Nazi daggers that I sold quite a few years ago back before I started collecting Pickehaubes. I went and checked the prices for all the daggers that I had. They have tripled in price !!!! :shock: I do regret getting rid of them not because of the money but I thought that they were cool. Now they are gone. I regret getting rid of them. :cry:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

dfoos
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dfoos » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks for all the input guys, I've decided that I'm going to take V2 Man's Advice and separate them into lots that make sense. That way I don't end up selling / trading only the most rare items and getting stuck with the rest. (I don't know how many offers I've already gotten for just the Kubelwagen) I will be inventorying and taking pictures of each lot. I may make sub lots available like all
BOB or just German or US BOB, Something like that. Just so everyone is aware, I do have tons of 32x stuff, What I really want to trade for is either the more rare stuff or what I really want (If I sell any of these I will be putting any money made toward buying the Conte Collectibles Building sets (not the plastic soldier kind, The prepainted, really ultra realistic kind that cost about $300.00 per set.)
If anyone has any of those and wants to trade (I realize this is not very likely) I would love to hear from you. The planes will probably be sold separately, I have several ppl wanting info on my planes and I'll be getting back to them soon. I just wanted you all to know that I hadn't dropped this, I just wanted to think it through first.

Thanks all.

Dennis

Edited for terrible spelling and grammar :roll: