XD 1:18 Sherman 76mm Upgrade Kit on Ebay

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
9th Waffen SS
Corporal
Corporal

XD 1:18 Sherman 76mm Upgrade Kit on Ebay

Post by 9th Waffen SS » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:38 pm

Ebay item 320053781442

Battle Ready kit to upgrade your Sherman. Our own '69 Red Charger produced these years ago. Time to let mine go. A neat kit to give your Sherman collection some variety

kevrut
Officer - Brigadier General

xd

Post by kevrut » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:44 pm

gary1930
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gary1930 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:54 pm

"replace the 75mm turret on the existing Sherman, and upgun it with a 76mm gun. Take out those Tigers and Panthers!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:33 pm

Interesting. I'm not hugely knowledgeable about shermans...this is not the same as the British Firefly version is it? This is an American mod used only by the US? I believe Fireflys were just used by the British, correct?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:10 pm

this is not the same as the British Firefly version is it?
The short answer is no, it's not the same. The Firefly was a uniquely British adaptation of the basic Sherman, which sported a 17 pounder gun in a specially modified turret. More info here.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Firefly
The above kit is supposed to turn your basic XD M4 Sherman into a 76mm gunned T-23 turret version... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Sherman
Trying to keep up with Sherman variants is a difficult proposition under the best of circumstances. :roll:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:21 pm

From looking at Hunnicut's Sherman Tome, This looks like an early development model. However all the photo's show the hulls used to be "composite" ie rounded cast front with squared off sides and rear and larger hatches. More like the BBI Sherman with rounded edges to the front armour.

Trying to ID shermans, however is not an easy thing. Can anyone else chime in?

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:45 pm

This combo on a Sherman is sometimes called a Jumbo. While the 76mm gun was not an 88mm, it did have a higher velocity which at least gave them a chance with a side shot. Gun mantlet armor and turret armor were increased as well which gives the turret it's funky shape.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by corpbob » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:53 pm

The Jumbos were Shermans, usually with 75mm guns, with super-thick armor on the front of the hull and turret. I've been clamoring for something like this for awhile, but it doesn't look quite right. It's not "square" enough for a Jumbo, it's far too big for a Firefly turret, and it seems a bit off of what a 76mm should be (though closer than the others). I don't own a BBI Sherman, but I'd be curious to see if that would work better.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:15 pm

but it doesn't look quite right. It's not "square" enough for a Jumbo, it's far too big for a Firefly turret, and it seems a bit off of what a 76mm should be (though closer than the others).
One thing I noticed is the gun mantlet and cover appear to be molded in one piece with the rest of the turret, which would mean the gun cannot be elevated or depressed, an unfortunate flaw IMO. The bidding is starting to get a bit pricey as well, but still an interesting conversion for someone who wants something different than what is currently available in an XD Sherman.

UPDATE 12/01/06.....Well the auction is closed and it cost somebody nearly 60 bucks to bring this kit home....OUCH! I would venture to say the seller turned a tidy profit on this one, you gotta love e-bay :roll: pure capitalism at it's very best, or worst depending on your point of view 8)
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

9th Waffen SS
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 9th Waffen SS » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:32 am

Yes, it was nice to see it go as high as it did.

However, OstKetten, let me ask you, since I paid nearly $40 for both kits years ago, do you really think I made out like a bandit? Not trying to sound argumentative, but its not like these were $5 a pop when I bought them. My estimate is that I made, in profit, less then $10 when all is said and done, and this after sitting on these kits for probably about 5 years or more.

I have another set up for sale right now. If they go for their current price, I will have actually lost money, over-all, on the deal. I am just looking to move these for a fair price. I was thrilled to see the 1st set go as high as it did. I have no illusions that this 2nd set will do as well, and after all is said and done, I will most likely have lost money overall.

I am not here to defend E-bay, they don't need my help, but I do get a bit prickly over the assumption that I cleaned up, profit-wise, on the transaction.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:13 pm

OstKetten, let me ask you, since I paid nearly $40 for both kits years ago, do you really think I made out like a bandit?
Never said that you "made out like a bandit" so please don't put words in my mouth. If you paid $40 for that then I guess I'm mistaken, no need to get your shorts in a bundle over this. That's the way things go with e-bay, things often sell for way more than they sold for at retail, anyone who has been involved in this hobby for very long will back me up on that. All the best,

Scott

9th Waffen SS
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 9th Waffen SS » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:59 pm

Look, not trying to make a big deal out of this, and trust me, my shorts are definitely NOT knotted, but you did say the following:

"OUCH! I would venture to say the seller turned a tidy profit on this one, you gotta love e-bay"

All I was trying to do was point out that for any future purchasers of these kits that they are getting quite a deal if they can snag one at under $35 or so.

Anyhow, no harm, no foul, it's all good. :D I just wanted to clear the record up on these kits and their worth/value/initial purchase price. I am against excessive profiteer's on E-bay as much as anyone.

(Sometimes I hate the Internet, because typed words don't carry emotion, and can be misconstrued as being inflamatory or aggressive)

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:59 pm

What ever happened to Red69Charger? Does he still do some casting work? He did do a few customs that were very nice
about 3 years ago back in the groundpounder days.

Mark

9th Waffen SS
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 9th Waffen SS » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:45 am

Steve I believe still lurks around these parts from time to time.

His work was outstanding. I had purchased these kits from him, which are really nice for a small time, cottage industry hobbyist. I at one point had 2 of the machine gun bunkers he'd made, and they were just simply great pieces.

MK
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MK » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:29 pm

Ahh yes, the good ol' days. I remember this kit with the sand bags. He also made a hedgecutter if I recall. Didn't Red69Charger also make a Pionerwagen?

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:01 pm

I'm getting all teary eyed and nostalgic. :cry: I remember his machine gun bunker. Truely great stuff.

Mark

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:49 pm

Well 9th Waffen SS, it looks like I got your second kit. We will have to see what I can do with it. Definately worth it to me!

Mark