Any Interest in a Swap Meet?

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

Any Interest in a Swap Meet?

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:08 am

O.K., Mark, Mitch, Kevin and anyone else in a practical driving distance to the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Tri-State Area. :idea: I'm going to explore the idea of hosting a buy-sell-trade and display swap meet for this geographical area sometime later this summer. The venue I have in mind is the hanger of the Tri-State Warbird Museum at Clermont County Airport. It would take place on a Saturday with the general public / Museum visitors on hand. The swap items would be limited to historical military scale items, planes, ships, vehicles, figures and accesories-supplies, any scale, any era. There would be NO sci-fi, fantasy, hotwheels, cartoon, etc. as that would be for a different venue. Unbuilt scale model military kits would be fine. I would like a display only area to show off some dioramas, mods, scenes, your favorite plane or tank, scratchbuilt, etc. Anything you are proud of. This space would be limited and would have to fit on a standard folding table.

This is the proposal I am going to submit to the Museum if, and only if I get enough positive feedback for such an event.

I look forward to your feedback. :)

Thanks,

Dennis
Last edited by Axis Nightmare on Mon May 07, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Threetoughtrucks

Re: Any Interest in a Swap Meet?

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:39 am

One folding table? Alloing two might be worth the trip. What kind of area are you thinking of? Inside? Outside? Area capable of driving up to tables to unload/load up? Depending on numbers, it might be nice putting faces to names........ maybe not. :lol:

Good idea, might be worth the trip.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:00 am

If I may make a suggestion.

You can also have a virtual swap meet at the same time or pre-swap meet sale, perhaps day or two before the actual swap meet. All you have to do is take pictures of your table full of diecast with price clearly visible. If a buyer send the payment by Paypal first, the item is sold. This way you are not just selling to local buyers but to collectors all over the world.

Just a suggestion.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:05 am

My proposal would be in an aircraft hanger with unloading through the 90' hanger door if necessary. No steps, backing right up to a door. I'm proposing a bring your own table(s) event. We have a few banquet tables but bringing what a person needs would dictate their space. Don't see a problem with multiple tables. Everything would have to fit on tables one way or another. Floor space shouldn't be a big deal. Just don't want to spread out over two hangers or need to move planes. Would discourage a 20'X 20' 1/18 scale diorama. Everything needs to be kept manageable. The hanger houses a B-25, TBM Avenger and the FW-190 and P-40 projects. The first hanger would be an alternative. Only slightly smaller with an equal amount available of floorspace as one of the two jeeps will be gone for the summer. I would see about parking on the ramp while there too. I want to keep the proposal simple as not to make the Museum President nervous or concerned. Keep the input coming :!: Remember, this is in a pre-proposal stage.

Your replies and input will determine if this goes forward.

Thanks,

Dennis

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:07 am

Great :idea: ideas :idea: coming in :D

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:16 am

Definately want to hear from anyone, anywhere who has tried or done this, success or failure. What worked? What didn't? Is it even practical to assume people who use an impersonal cyber forum have interest in face to face contact? Or are they more confident with just a cyber handle?

Thanks!

Dennis

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:19 am

Scary idea, actually seeing who you have been talking too. Wow. Futureistic radical idea..... :roll:

My MV club tried this a few times, having a swap meet in conjunction with a MV show of our vehicles. The first time it bombed selling to the public. Just nobody was interested. Second time we did it at the same time as an event in the location we were using and the same day as a sizable car show in the area where a few MV owners who had entered their vehicles put up our signs publicized our show and people came to us after the car show. Great day.

This should be different, we would know who is coming and we know what they are interested in....

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:13 am

Axis,
Great idea! The space you have in the hanger would be more than enough.
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:24 pm

So far I haven't been told I was out of my mind or that no one would want to participate. Driving distance and gas prices can always be an issue but I was hoping the Museum venue would add to the worthiness of investing time and money in a road trip. More comments? Opinions?

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Here is the B-25 in hanger 2. It sits to the front now that it is flying more. Still plenty of room, great atmosphere :!: :)

This photo was from last year just after the hanger dedication and we have since added lots of new displays around the perimeter.

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:32 am

I think this is a great idea. I’m sure I could scrounge something up for the sale. I would definitely be a buyer too.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Tue May 01, 2012 11:09 am

Good idea...this was discussed last year(?) by some of us in the ILL/IND area. Never happened though. I think this gets brought up every once in a while, be nice if it worked out....
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Tue May 01, 2012 4:28 pm

This is still in the planning to make a proposal and would it be possible or practical stage. So we may get no further than other attempts. We'll see....

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:49 pm

This sounds like a great idea, even if it isn't a swap meet, it would be great to bring some stuff to show to other people, I know alot of guys have some really cool customs that pictures don't do justice to.

Not only that, it would be neat to see that B-25 and just visit with guys that enjoy the hobby, of course the timing would be important, we would need enough time that anyone that would like to come could prepare for it.

Several of us had talked about getting together here in Indiana, going to the Ropkey museum or Auburn, seems that theres always something that gets in the way.

Count me in, sounds like alot of fun, to put some faces to friends I have met here would be great, of course I may scare a few of you :lol:

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Maybe this needs to be made into a sticky, I would be interested, maybe if only a chance to meet fellow members, but the chance to set up inside next to a B-25, hell. I'll pay for a empty table :D

If this can be done, we need enough time for anyone who could attend has enough time to prepare, I like the idea.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu May 03, 2012 1:56 pm

Sounds like a cool idea. Unfortunately, I don't think I could justify a 8hr one way trip for me. If it was a half day one way I might make the effort.
Good luck,
Phil
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu May 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks Phil,

As the original post suggested, It would probably be impractical for anyone to make a long trip for such an impromto event that could always turn out to be a bust even with good intentions and commitments. Had one in the hobby of collecting antique Glass and Porcelain Insulators from power poles and railroad lines that turned out bad. Was even advertised to the public and a few collectors came from a couple states away with only 4 or 5 of us total that made it and only one general public guest came despite a dozen and a half "definites". :oops: So I would caution high enough expectations to invest a long trip, especially at current gas prices. Of course, the discalimer is still "planning stages". :)

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:35 pm

One approach that has worked well for me is to set the expectations low. Ie, those that go get to meet each other, talk about the hobby, see some stuff they brought, tour the museum and go out to dinner or whatever at the end. Nothing fancy. That way no matter how it turns out, you at least nailed the original expectations.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu May 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Well, I've gotten great feedback :) . I think the positives are enough to make a proposal to the Museumm President. If his reaction is favorable, we will work on a date which is not going to be until after mid June at least. ram04, assuming this becomes a reality, I can't guarantee a spot next to the B-25. You may have to settle for being closer to a P-51D Mustang or a TBM Avenger or a Jeep with a .30 cal. mounted. :wink:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Boy, that could be a deal breaker :lol: :lol: :D :mrgreen:

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 am

Do you have any dates in mind yet? I would probably make the trip if the timing is right. I could make a weekend trip and stop at Wright Patterson as well as the Warbird Museum

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:24 am

Let me know too, hopefully my girlfriend, daughter and I can make it.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Fri May 04, 2012 1:44 pm

As far as a potential date.....The Museum anniversary Gala is June 8. First considerations will be after that. :idea: If the idea goes through I'd like to survey the no - way, no - how dates, ie, Daughter's wedding, First Communion, going to Disney World, etc., so we don't pick a day when half the people can't make it. There are always perfect storm weekends when everybody seems to have something going on at the same time. :roll: We would try to tweek a date that the most are available. No matter what date is picked there will be someone who can't make it. No way around it. :( Also have to take in account any Museum activities under that catagory. I'd like to get it for sometime in June. The idea and enthusiasm will be fresh and the hangers can get real hot in July and August. Great to hear all the replies :D I can present a plan that is backed with great interest :!:

Thanks,

Dennis

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm about a four hr drive to you, so for me its no sweat, this sounds like it can be a go, rain or shine.

If you set the bar low enough, then I can't see where it could fail, on the down fall of things to do, to we really want our wifes or girlfriends seeing what were spending our money on :shock: :lol:

I look at it this way if some of us can make it, we'll do the best we can to talk shop, go get a bite to eat and tell stories all about all the other guys who did'nt showup.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat May 05, 2012 6:50 pm

We'll roll with whatever happens. :wink: At least we're giving it a try. I'll be contacting the powers that be this next weekend. Should have some info by then. Thanks to everyone :!: Keep the suggestions and support coming and we might just get this done. :shock:

:p51:

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager