PACKAGING!!!

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
nomo4me
Sergeant
Sergeant

PACKAGING!!!

Post by nomo4me » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:02 am

For cripes sakes people, if you are going to advertise something here please for gawd's sakes be prepared to package it properly.

When trying to decide if a box/filler is going to work for the item you are shipping, ask yourself how the item will survive in the package if it is thrown 10 feet or has 50 lbs thrown on top of it.

Nomo - off to glue the landing struts back on a swordfish. Will worry about mixing matching paint later.

Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

packaging

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:32 pm

Nomo,

Sorry to hear you had a problem with the Swordfish. I did not expect that as I have sold 20 wooden airplane models over the last three weeks between here and ebay and none of them have had a problem getting to their destination.

I packed the models just as the way they came when I orignally bought them as I had saved all the packaging from them. When the planes come new, they come with foam inserts that are specially cut for that particular plane and it virtually assures they don't go anywhere. Anyone that has bought the wood display models knows what I am talking about. You virtually have to lift the inserts out with the plane to get them out of the box.

In your case I used the same inserts that came with the airplane when it was new. I keep everything when I get these models so that if I ever do resell them, all the original packing materials are there to ensure safe shipping. I've ordered and had these models shipped from the Phillippines and placed in these inserts and nothing has ever happened to them

http://community.webshots.com/user/coreyeagle48

If anyone looks in the Spad folder, I took two pictures of the foam type inserts that come with these models. Usually there are about four of them, and they are specially cut to fit around the specific airplane type in question. In this case, these inserts are for a much larger aircraft that needs to be assembled a little bit. But the wood maghony models are packaged in the same fashion. I packed them to send to people just as I get them from the store or factory when I order them.

Again Nomo I apologize for the problem. The one model I don't insure and this is what happens, go figure. I will look around for your address and refund your money, that's only fair to you

Corey

nomo4me
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by nomo4me » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:54 pm

No refund is desired. It's $15 = 3 hamburgers.

I'm not angry about it because $15 isn't worth investing any emotional energy into.

But a taller box would have prevented the crush damage that broke the struts.

So I'm not calling you a bad guy, just wanted to encourage others to take the packing part seriously.

Nomo

Coreyeagle48

Nomo

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:59 pm

Nomo,

Well ok, if you say so about the refund, I still feel bad that happened to you. If there is anything I can ever do in terms of making it up to you please let me know.

Sorry again, I did not expect that.

Corey

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:01 am

I've sold and bought quite a few items on Ebay and the internet and know from experience that sometimes things just get damaged, no matter how well they're packaged. 50 pound weights and 20 foot drops SHOULD NOT happen to any package that is shipped through the post office or a courier. There is absolutely no excuse for it.

Excessively packaging every item to guard against the worst case scenario is just not practical......take a look at BCA's boxes for XD planes. They fit like a glove.....absolutely no padding at all and thus very minimal protection to the contents. Do i blame him for using them? Absolutely not. To use a bigger box would mean much higher shipping costs and thus lost sales.

If something gets damaged in transit, place the blame where it belongs: with the shipper who caused the damage. If they get enought complaints they will take steps to ensure packages are treated more carefully.

nomo4me
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by nomo4me » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:53 pm

Aferg I don't know why you are throwing your hat in here, you didn't see the package or the amount of clearance top and bottom. You have posted based on an inaccurate perception of the package.

The box was excessively large in two dimensions and lacked in height, yeilding a package that lacked adaquate resistance against crush forces from the top. That it had a foam liner over the top of the plane meant only that it was the foam liner that did the crushing.

I'd rather let this thing die without defending my accurate observation or appearing to criticize Coreyeagle but if you want to continue to stir a dead pot please be my guest.
As I've said, I don't think Corey is a bad guy so let it die.

Nomo

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:21 pm

Nomo: my comments were general and partially in response to Corey's other comments in off topic. They weren't directed specifically at this incident or you, as the situation was clearly resolved.

Since you made a post on this board it is open to discussion by all. If you wanted to have a private talk between you and Corey then a public forum was not the place to do it...that's what pm's and email are for.

My observations and comments were not an attack on you, nor were they defending Corey....not sure why you think they were.

But just to set an example for what i said: had the box the swordfish was in not been crushed in the first place it would have been adequate for the job. The post office is not allowed to crush, drop etc packages but for some reason many people working there think that's their right. My comments were an attack on the carelessness of some post office workers and couriers, as their ineptness had caused me some frustrating problems in the past, as well.

If you'd like to discuss this further my email is [email protected]

OnWu
Sergeant
Sergeant

On packing in general

Post by OnWu » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:50 pm

A box that is too large will allow its contents to move around unless there is enough fill to prevent this. A sudden stop and the contents act like a projectile inside the larger container, slamming inside and causing damage, sometimes repeatedly on long trips.

Andrew is correct. Larger, heavier packages cost much, much more to ship. Also, large boxes and fill can get expensive too. Many Ebayers/traders may say they want a fully foamed 'box-in-a-box" to prevent against damage but none would be willing to pay the extra $20-$30 this would cost in terms of additional labor, postage, and material. The best solution would seem to be to ship as cheaply as possible, then file a claim with the shipping company in the event of a loss.

On a side note, I have a friend who works in a Post Office. He says they have bins lined-up along the walls of their sorting room. These bins have various destinations throughout the US. From a central location, packages are hurled across the room into the appropriate bin. It doesn't make any difference whether "fragile" is marked on the box or not. These boxes fly through the air an average of 10-20 feet or so. OUCH!

nomo4me
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by nomo4me » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:03 pm

Quoting Aferg:
take a look at BCA's boxes for XD planes. They fit like a glove.....absolutely no padding at all and thus very minimal protection to the contents. Do i blame him for using them? Absolutely not. To use a bigger box would mean much higher shipping costs and thus lost sales.
Actually, the opposite is true. Because the retail box fits exactly inside the BCA box, they support each other and make a very durable package. How many instances can you cite where a BCA shipment has been damaged in transit? Further, padding placed around the retail XD box to pad it from an oversized shipping box typically results in a crushed box and caved in display window. Ever received a trade where packing peanuts have worked their way past the clear window into the XD box? I have on numerous trades.
If something gets damaged in transit, place the blame where it belongs: with the shipper who caused the damage. If they get enought complaints they will take steps to ensure packages are treated more carefully.
This is the portion of your post that touched a nerve. The various carriers are certainly allowed to stack their loads with the result that any package can be expected to have a certain amount of weight placed on it. What is the standard for that amount of weight? I don't know and I suspect that no one else here knows either. Anyone shipping fragile bits of plastic or wood should show respect for thier fellow XD hobbyists by packing to ensure safe transit. I've probably shipped 12 trades to members on this board and every package has arrived as intended. To the contrary, I've received 3 trades that were damaged. Corey's pack job was careful, but the other two were carelessly packed, which was quite galling.

Point of all this is that any seller/trader here should be prepared to show some consideration by taking the packing part of the transaction seriously, as stated in the OP. Doing a marginal pack job with the expectation that USPS or other will treat our bits of Chinese plastic with reverent tenderness is unrealistic and inconsiderate of those we trade with.
Rant Off now, back to lusting over S2 109-G6

Nomo

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:10 am

Actually, almost every package i have received that is in a BadCat box has had the clear window caved in on the xd box. Since i open all my stuff it didn't bother me at all but it would bother lots of people. I personally think expecting mint in package items shipped through the mail is an unrealistic expectation unless the BUYER is willing to fork out major dollars for solid secure shipping.

I'm sure they can stack their loads but a moment of thought would prevent heavy boxes being stacked on light boxes....which is usually what causes crushing.

Postal workers get paid well, have good job security etc and it really cheeses me when they are careless with other people's property...sorta like when someone opens their car door in a parking lot and dings the side of your car. No excuse for it....just carelessness and lack of consideration for another's property.

A few weeks ago i had $80 worth of artwork shipped to me from across Canada. The items were put in a padded envelope, with thick cardboard support on either side and 'do not bend' was written all over the envelope.

When i got it the envelope was folded at about a 90 degree angle; there is no way it happened by accident. You could even see a knee print in the center of the fold.

nomo4me
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by nomo4me » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:49 pm

You get the last word Aferg.

Sincere thanks for the time you put into this board as moderator.

Nomo

ParatrooperCarbine
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ParatrooperCarbine » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:49 am

My two cents:

Air pillows are the best. I recommend saving them any time you order from Amazon or KB. I just keep them in a plastic bag and pull them out as needed. Well worth the space. And they don't add to shipping weight!

To prevent window damage, I often place a long piece of cardboard (cut from an unneeded box) across the top of the plane box, so it is supported by the box on either side of the plastic.

I try to get boxes that computers and other electronics are shipped in. Those are usually very good. For example, I got some Viewsonic flat screen monitor boxes that are great for P-38s. I think they wuit making that model of monitor though, and the newer boxes are too small. But you get the idea.

2 cents over....
My good trader/reference list:
Razor17019, raiderad6, nomo4me, SGT Fury, don, JOC, DIGGER, immeww2.