Favorites/Least favorites in 1/32

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
olifant
Officer - Brigadier General

Favorites/Least favorites in 1/32

Post by olifant » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:18 pm

Which is your favorite 1/32 AC, regardless of brand? Which is your least favorite? What about favorite/least favorite AFV? Why?

I ask this because I have been so pleased with the new P-51B/C; it's detail and paint are absolutely amazing, light years ahead of the old P-51D. I think "Bald Eagle" is now my favorie A/C, with a close second being my FW-190D.

My least favorite A/C is a toss up between my P-51D "BBD" and my Me-262 "yellow 7." This is due mainly to their lack of detail and toylike appearance.

My favorite AFV is probably the FOV Challenger. This is a great looking machine in real life and FOV has captured it perfectly. The detailing is fantastic with good weathering without an overdone appearance. If you don't have one yet I strongly urge you to find one.

There are quite a few 1/32 AFVs that aren't done very well: FOV Sherman with it's terrible green paint, the M-24 Chafee is terribly clunky looking (especially the terrible "watermark" paint job) and the M-18 Hellcat is terribly toy-like. All that being said I think the worst of the bunch is the 21C Pzkw IV Ausf. H. I don't know what it is as the short gunned 75MM models don't look nearly as bad. I think it is the painting, but even after I gave one a customized paint job it still looks terrible.

On a final note, I think it is interesting that FOV AFVs are so stellar while their AC are terrible. With 21C I think the reverse is true; their AC keep getting better and better while their armor still remains for the most part "clunky."

Opinions?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:42 pm

I'd have to say my favorite 1:32 plane is also the "Bald Eagle" P-51B, with close runner-ups being the "Big Hog" Corsair, "Snake" Stuka, "Hackl" Bf-109G and "Black 12" FW-190.

As far as armor is concerned, my most favorite is the FOV Jagdpanther. Close runner-ups are the FOV T-34, Panzer IV, and 21c M-18 Hellcat.

I agree with your observation regarding the quality of the FOV tanks and 21c aircraft.

My least favorite armor pieces are the S1 21c Sherman and M-24 (though later versions of those same tanks have been excellent.) As far as 1:32 aircraft, I'm not very wild about the 21c P-51D, ME-262, and ME-109E, though some examples do have stellar paintschemes.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:28 pm

I only now have 5 of the 32x planes. I have the Big Hog Corsair, Shangri-La P-51, that BF-109G with the number 10 on the side (I can't remember its specific name) and two Zeros. One of the Zeros came with the Big Hog Corsair in the Dogfight pack. The other Zero is one which I have never seen on the internet for sale. Maybe someone can help me out. It's a Pearl Harbor scheme and it looks like the one with the blue stripe on the fuselage, but mine has a red stripe instead. Just found it at Wally world last night. Is this one rare? I'll post some pictures and create a new post.

Anyway the P-51B in 32x is by far my favorite. It's detail is even way better than its 18 scale cousin. My second favorite is the Corsairs in 32. Their detail too is better than the 18 scale versions.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:33 pm

My favorite 1:32 aircraft is 21st's beautiful P-51B Shangri-La. I've loved Gentile's Mustang since I built the old Monogram kit as a kid. Model-wise, the new B/C Mustangs are miles ahead of the old P-51D. My only complaint are the wobbly pizza cutter wheels. Not all of us want to hang the thing, please don't give us bicycle wheels.

My least favorite is the FOV Spitfire. I wasn't happy with it at all. 21st needs to make a 32x Spitfire as kick ass as the new Mustangs. A late war Griffon engined Spit please!

Most favorite 1:32 armor is the FOV enthusiast Stug III Ardennes version. I love the Stug and I am fond of winter white wash schemes for some reason. The Stug is tied with the Kowel 1944 enthusiast version Panzer IV Ausf. G. What can I say, again I love that winter whitewash and the Panzer III and IV series are my favorite German tanks. Also schurzen are always a plus in my book though I leave them off on my Italy Stug III.

Least favorite... the FOV Matilda. Never liked the real thing and don't like the model. :P
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:45 pm

My most favorite 1/32 planes are my Corgi PR-F Spitfire, and my Corgi 1/32 Mosquito bomber.. My most favorite 21st Century plane is my Hackl 109 with my "Big Hog" Corsair in a close second, and I would say my least favorite is my FOV 1/32 Bf-10G which resides in a parts bag awaiting heavy modifications.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:35 pm

LEAST FAVE AIRCRAFT: The 21C Lanowski P-47. Don't get me wrong, I love the Jug as an aircraft, but that dark midnight blue paintjob on the Lanowski is just butt ugly IMO.

LEAST FAVE ARMOR: The FOV Grant. This tank was referred to by the Russians as "A Coffin For Seven Brothers", say what you want about the Russians, but those boys knew a good tank when they saw one, and the Grant wasn't it. With it's high profile and goofy looking sponson, it's just a weird beast that I never liked the looks of.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Fox Tare-28
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Fox Tare-28 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:05 am

Favorite A/C (Axis): Fw-190D9
Favorite A/C (Allied): P-51B/C

Least favorite A/C: I'm going to have to agree with Rowsdower on the Spitfire IX.

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:57 am

Fav AFV- I think its the FOV new sherman with riders. Or, like rowsdowser said, the stug although no winter paint for me.

Least-yup the matilda for me as well. The actual tank sin't horrible in itself but the paint: yech! :x Who paints a tank blue to camoflage in the desert?????
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

MG-42

Faves & least faves ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:28 am

My favorite A/C are :

+ Axis :

The Me-109E "Black" Nightfighter
Fw-190 "Blue/Black" 12 + - > "Michaelski" + "Red-3"
Me-262 "White 5" + the one w/ the "skull" insignia on the nose. + "Red-B"
Bf-109G-6 "Red 8" or "Silver"
-<><><>: "Snake" Stuka
All the Zero's

* Allied :

P-51B/C "Bull Frog"
RAF Corsair
Polish RAF P-51B/C w/ "D-Day" stripes
Eagleston's P-47 * "Lanowski's" P-47
( S-1 ) P-40 Warhawk "Flying Tigers"

+ Axis Armor :

Kettenkrad ( William Britains )
Panzer III Ausf. L "Eastern Front" camo
Panzer III Ausf. L "Black 23" DAK
Panzer III "the green one" ( S-1 ) 21st.
Panzer III ColdSteel "Desert"
Panzer IV-F ( FoV )
Tiger I VI-E ( S-2 ) "Eastern Front" 21st.
88mm. both 21st. & FoV
SdKfz. 7 , ( FoV ) + 21st's "Dual Pack" one in Eastern camo
SdKfz. 7/1 "Flak Vierling"
SdKf2 222 "Recon scout car" ( S-1-2-3-4 ) 21st.
StuG III Ausf. G ( S-1 ) FoV
Königstiger ( S-1-2 ) 21st.
Königstiger w/ Porsche turret 21st.
Jagdtiger ( S-1-2 )
Jagdpanther ( S-1 ) FoV / 21st. ( S-1 )
PAK-40 = 21st.
SdKfz. 4 "Maultier" or "mule" 21st. ( both scemes )
"Opel Blitz" Standard Truck 21st. ( both schemes )
Mobelwagen ( S-1 ) ColdSteel 21st.
StuG IV ( S-1 ) ColdSteel 21st.
"Brummbar" ( S-1 & 3 ) ColdSteel 21st.

* Allied Armor :

Matilda ( S-1 ) FoV
M-26 Pershing FoV
Sherman "Firefly" Vc 21st.
M4A3 "Dozer Sherman" 21st.
M-24 Chaffee "ColdSteel" 21st.
"ColdSteel" Sherman w/75mm.Gun
M-3 Grant ( S-1 ) "Monty" FoV
M-5A1 Stuart "C-34 Carol" FoV
M-3 Lee "Kentucky" FoV
M-59 155mm. LongToms "Berlin" / "In the Mood" 21st.

That's pretty much it as far as * Allied Armor goes. :lol:

The least favorites are the FoV Hanomags and that darn FoV ( S-1 ) Kingtiger in that "god awful sloppy "brownish" overly saturated w/ thinner" one. ... & the 1st. series 21st. plastic Shermans and Chaffee's , with the 1st. series FoV Sherman thrown in. :roll:

I could list more here ! ... :lol:

Edits were the LongToms , M-3 Grant / Lee , and M-5A1 Stuart

Mitch v MG
Last edited by MG-42 on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

DomiUK
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DomiUK » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:25 pm

"Least-yup the matilda for me as well. The actual tank sin't horrible in itself but the paint: yech! Who paints a tank blue to camoflage in the desert?????"

You know that first series Matilda is probably my favourite full stop.

The paint scheme although horrible is actually extremely accurate and think its a gem :)

My least favourite is for some reason the 21st stug I am still not entirely sure what it is but I simply do not like it. (Its worth noting the new FOV tug with tank riders is another of my favourites so its not really so much the vehicle)

MG-42

Re: Faves & least faves ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:37 pm

DomiUK wrote:"Least-yup the matilda for me as well. The actual tank sin't horrible in itself but the paint: yech! Who paints a tank blue to camoflage in the desert?????"

You know that first series Matilda is probably my favourite full stop.

The paint scheme although horrible is actually extremely accurate and think its a gem :)

(Its worth noting the new FOV tug with tank riders is another of my favourites so its not really so much the vehicle)

>>> Yeah ,.. I think the FoV ( S-1 )Matilda , is a great looking tank , and you are correct , it is an accurate camo scheme for the period "in the desert".

..... and yeah , also , the latest FoV StuG III Ausf.G "w/ riders" , is one I failed to mention as one of my favorites as well , sorry ! - :oops:
+ :lol:

v MG

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:55 pm

That S1 Matilda was my first FOV tank, and I still rather like it! It goes well with all the other DAK vehicles and gives us a non-German early war tank. The paintscheme is indeed accurate, as this photo I took of a Matilda at the Imperial War Museum in London testifies:

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:19 pm

:oops: sry guess my North Africa theater paint schemes trivia is a lil rusty. Anyone know why they painted it this color?
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:42 pm

I also predict an ( S-2 ) FoV M-5A1 Stuart "Honey" in a North African paint scheme , down the road. :wink: = 8)

"Which really , is a "no brainer" for FoV to do".

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:18 pm

schizuki wrote:
MG-42 wrote: I also predict an ( S-2 ) FoV M-5A1 Stuart "Honey" in a North African paint scheme , down the road. :wink: = 8)
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Brits used the M5 in North Africa (the M3, yes, but not the M5.) The M5 was used in Europe in '44 and '45, but I think it came too late for Africa. It was definitely produced too late to use the Caunter camo scheme (like the Matildas), as that was phased out during '41. The first M3's had that scheme, though.

>>> OK "schizuki" ,.. you called me on this one. ... Excuse me folks , but I meant the M-3 , earlier variant.

Still , this does'nt mean that FoV will never make one , save some minor cosmetic alterations or perhaps , you can simply alter an existing M-5A1 "C-34 Carol" and customize it yourself. :wink: = 8)

v MG

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:18 am

as that would help break up the outline against the horizon
I'm pretty sure that's correct, although I don't have any specific resources that I can quote on this. It seems very likely the intent was to break up the outline of the tank, which had a relatively high profile to begin with, against the sandy terrain and a sky blue background.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:29 am

That was the whole idea behind this particular scheme for the Matilda. Especially against the horizon on a sand dune. 8)

The British were crafty in the desert . ... They had to be . ... In turn , so was RommeL ! ... :wink: = 8)

v MG

DomiUK
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DomiUK » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:18 pm

"sry guess my North Africa theater paint schemes trivia is a lil rusty. Anyone know why they painted it this color?"

Yep this was too do with experimentation in camoflague colours done by the royal navy.

Funny enough the paint scheme isnt a million miles from the sort of urban camos you get now.

If your not aware of it some very strange colours where tried both the British and Germans used Pink as a camo colour.

Famously the SAS of all people at one point tried driving round the desert in pink , the shame.

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:20 pm

:D :D :D Hrd to look like tough, gritty, warriors when your driving in what looks like the Pepto-Bismol car :) I've never heard about that domiUK, thnx man. Anybody seen any pics of this?
- General Patton

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:07 pm

I've seen pics of pink Spitfires but no pink SAS vehicles. Maybe they blended in so well that you just can't see them in the pictures! :lol:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

MG-42

Pretty in pink !

Post by MG-42 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:36 pm

Sounds like they're having a gay 'ol time , tooling arond in the desert , in a pink vehicle. :roll:

Sheesh ! ... I'm glad their aint no pink Panthers !
- :shock:

v MG

DomiUK
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DomiUK » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:32 am

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Pink_panther.htm

Note the SAS were so happy with Pink as a camo colour they used it from ww2 all the way up to the first gulf war and I rather suspect they know a little about the subject.

There is a story of a german Panther Tank in pink but i cannot easily find any references to it. May not be true but look at those pictures above and notice the way the pink seems to change colours from differant
angles.

Minichamps put ou this monstrosity they must have got the colours from somewhere http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/689_1_1043210.html

Incidentally the 30cwt truck that the LRDG used in ww2 in standard sand would be NO 1 choice of WW2 vehicle in 1/32nd :)