Tamiya Weathering Kit - thumbs up!

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna have to get one of those kits for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your work too, when you get a chance.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:01 am

Wow, I'm going to have to pick up one of these sets. I usually just use dry brushed colors but this would be great for the mud and sand and all. Thanks for the info!
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:48 am

Agree, pretty cool and effective.. Did you pick the kit up at a hobby store or are they showing up in Walmart, Target, etc.. now?

Thanks for posting btw, the pictures really tell the story!
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:17 am

Very nice!! Definitely worth it IMO. 8)
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:19 am

Ill have to pick this up to. :D

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:28 am

man I got to find myself one of those. I'm trying to get good at weathering but 1st tries were not so successful... I changed the color of my jeep from all green to all rust colored. LOL. It looks pretty bad :)
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Charlemagne » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:36 pm

that looks awesome...I have definately got to get one of those kits!Thanks for sharing.

:D Dan

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:47 pm

Col.Pickle wrote:man I got to find myself one of those. I'm trying to get good at weathering but 1st tries were not so successful... I changed the color of my jeep from all green to all rust colored. LOL. It looks pretty bad :)
Pickle, that's exactly what I'm afraid of doing myself. I've had some good luck with a few doing steel dings, dry brushing, etc.. but would more than happily switch to a kit..
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

Soldier16S
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soldier16S » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:40 am

Schizuki and fellow diecasters,

I don't mean to rain on your spending your hard-earned buckaroos on Tamiya, but you can get pretty much the same results using Folk Art and Delta Creamcoat water-based acrylics available at Wal-Mart.

I have been doing weathering on HO scale freight cars for years, and recently brought this over to my military hobbies, after I left the model train hobby for good.

I don't have any pics right now of what I have done, but gimme some time and I will post some.

IF you guys are interested in going this route, let me know. I can list to you the colors you will need and the brands, along with dry chalks to highlight dust, rust, grime, etc.

You will also need some brushes, and IF you want to experiment, try using a mix of blue windshield wiper fluid with the acrylics instead of water.

However, the fluid has alcohol in it, which is WHY most weatherers use it, because it dries faster. But, when you seal your work (I use Testor's dullcoate) there is a chemical reaction with the sealer that can make the weathering turn white or frost, as the alcohol reacts with the sealer agent.

So, if you want to experiment with that, it does work, but it all depends in the amount of fluid you use for the weathering wash.

Honestly I do not recommend it, because of the problems with the sealer and the alcohol, but some use it and never have the frost effect. Sadly, I am NOT one of them. It took an entire bottle of Microscale's decal setting solution to remove the frost effect on a really good job on a freight car once.

Anyhow, I just thought you might want to know there ARE cheaper ways of doing this.

Good work, Schizuki!

-Noel
ADA First To Fire!
US Army 1986-1996
The ONLY GOOD DAY was yesterday...

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:04 am

"make-up for your tank" :lol: thats a good one. Looks like somthing I'll have check out.

Schizuki, thanks for the info. The Matilda and Lee look great.

billgiff
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by billgiff » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:36 am

Yeah, weathering chalks are the way to go. Like others said, the Tamiya weathering set is pretty expensive for what you get. Go to your local Hobby/ Model shop and see what they carry. One hobby store in my area had a set of 12 ground up chalks for a reasonable price. They range from black, mortar, brick, brown, grey, dust, sand, red brown, clay, etc. There is also a product out on the modelling scene in liquid form called "Rust-all". This stuff is great for weathering chains, tools, vehicles, etc. After dry brushing the chalks on and applying the Rust-All, make sure that you seal your vehicle with spray dullcote. This is made by Testors and it seals the model and takes away any glare or shine that might be in the plastic. I use these techniques for all my 1/35 and 1/18 projects. Email me if you want to see any examples. I hope this helps you guys.

Soldier16S
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soldier16S » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:14 am

Hey guys,

Funny you should mention a weathering how-to. I went and took one of my polybagged Panthers out of its hiding place and did just that this morning.

It was an easy 2hour job. I will start a thread with all the photos I took and hopefully this will take your fears off messing it up.

Incidentally, you guys do know, that IF you use Acrylic washes and stuff, and you do not like how it turns out, you can wash it all off with water, as long as you have not sealed it yet, right? LOL!

-Noel
ADA First To Fire!
US Army 1986-1996
The ONLY GOOD DAY was yesterday...

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:46 am

schizuki wrote:K, last pics. First, Rowsdower's Stuart from the review thread (I forgot to take a "before" pic, so I had to steal his - BTW, Rows, I like your taste in tables and wall color :D)
:lol: :lol: Yes you have similar fine taste I see, green walls FTW! Actually that's the top of my entertainment center which usually holds my Hurry Home Honey P-51 and Mitch F-86 but the woodgrain looks classy so I take all my Ebay pictures there. :lol: :lol: 8)
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

MilitaryMike23
Corporal
Corporal

b

Post by MilitaryMike23 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:05 pm

i must say i am a big fan of the kit, having bought multiples of them they seem to get a very good feel accross the board when using them as they cover mostly everything weather/wear and tare wise