O/T sorta-- Other airplane companies

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
cmelt27
Corporal
Corporal

O/T sorta-- Other airplane companies

Post by cmelt27 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:21 pm

OK, so the board occasionally gets questions about the differences between figures (21st v. BBi v. Dragon), but I was wondering about some of the different airplane companies like Corgi, Dragon, etc.

Specifically, I have been wanting some more modern planes (maybe an F-14, an F-18, and an A-10), but I don’t have the room to display the BBi 1:18 modern planes (even though I have an F-18, and am real close to getting the F-16).

Anyway, I was looking at the Dragon 1:72, Corgi 1:72, and the Franklin Mint 1:48 stuff. I was wondering if anyone had any good or bad comments about the aforementioned companies modern planes. I want to strike the balance between detail and affordability if possible.... Which is what I love about the 21st Century stuff–detailed, but relatively cheap.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: O/T sorta-- Other airplane companies

Post by hworth18 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:52 pm

cmelt27 wrote:OK, so the board occasionally gets questions about the differences between figures (21st v. BBi v. Dragon), but I was wondering about some of the different airplane companies like Corgi, Dragon, etc.

Specifically, I have been wanting some more modern planes (maybe an F-14, an F-18, and an A-10), but I don’t have the room to display the BBi 1:18 modern planes (even though I have an F-18, and am real close to getting the F-16).

Anyway, I was looking at the Dragon 1:72, Corgi 1:72, and the Franklin Mint 1:48 stuff. I was wondering if anyone had any good or bad comments about the aforementioned companies modern planes. I want to strike the balance between detail and affordability if possible.... Which is what I love about the 21st Century stuff–detailed, but relatively cheap.
Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Cmelt,
I collect Dragon and Corgi aircraft.. As a matter of fact I just bought the Dragon F-16 Oklahoma ANG Jet.. It is fantastic!!! It comes with a pilot, full armament.. including three drop tanks, four laser guided bombs, and two missiles.. It is a GREAT bang for the buck.. And I got it for $25 bucks shipped.. :D
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

SGT. ROCK
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SGT. ROCK » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:25 pm

I have several 1:48 scale "Armour" die-cast jets, the F4 Phantom, F-14 Tomcat, F-16 Falcon and the F-117 Stealth. All of them are very detailed but there are no moving parts. I've displayed them in my office at work since they are small enough to fit on my desk, filing cabnets and book shelves.
The only problem I've found, and it's not really a problem but more the nature of the beast, is that they are very fragile. It's easy to break off missles, doors and other protruding parts when handeling the planes. Thats why I moved them to my office, so my wife would not have to move them to dust.

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:46 pm

Hey Harry, I was reading on the Model Hangar board about some great looking Spanish line of diecast aircraft, "Altaya" (sp?). Any chance they'll make it over here?
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

cmelt27
Corporal
Corporal

thanks!

Post by cmelt27 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:46 pm

Thanks for the insights! Looks like I will be trying out the Dragon modern stuff soon!