21C 32X PzIV-H anomaly?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
ltcbj
Officer - Brigadier General

21C 32X PzIV-H anomaly?

Post by ltcbj » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:20 am

I just picked up two of the most recent iteration of these yesterday, these the dark yellow with green mottling and dark red stripes, with the turret number "829". I have several (5) others as well, all with the "829". WELL, one of these newest doesn't have a turret number at all. It does have the wolf(?) shield but not the number. Has anyone else found one like this? I have not opened the package to see if the number is only missing on the port side.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:48 am

Mine has the same 829 turret number. Sounds like you might have yourself a production oddity there, you might want to hang on to it, maybe it will fetch a premium someday, you never can tell with these things. BTW, turret number or not, I think this is one of the nicest looking armor paintschemes 21C has produced, my biggest complaint is that on this version of the PzIV the turret and side skirts are attached in such a way that prevents the turret from rotating more than a few degrees in either direction...aargh!! I have not fiddled with it much, but it looks like major surgery would be required to correct this annoying flaw. Wonder if anyone else has noticed this condition on their Pz IV's as well??
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:52 pm

Saw recently at WM here the M3A3 that was part of one of the Iron Horse duel packs was missing all the markings on the sides, only had the star on the hood. So not too uncommon.

ltcbj

turret turning terror

Post by ltcbj » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:55 am

Yes ostketten, my PzIV-Hs have the same turning problem, but only when turning to starboard. The port skirt is an amazing 3/16 of an inch closer to the actual hull than the starboard one. More than close enough to catch the rear of the turret skirt. I also find that the plastic pieces that hold the skirts on the hull tend to catch on the bottom of the turret skirts too.
I agree with you that the color scheme looks great.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:25 am

my PzIV-Hs have the same turning problem, but only when turning to starboard
Consider yourself lucky, the only way my turret will rotate at all is to completely remove the side skirts :?
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

ltcbj

ostketten

Post by ltcbj » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:17 pm

or the turret skirt?

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:32 pm

or the turret skirt?
Well, on my example the side skirts will lift right off with very little effort. The turret skirts on the other hand are glued solidly in place :cry:

EDIT: My mistake, the turret skirts lift off just like the sideskirts, but the brackets that are attached to the skirts are glued on and can't be removed as far as I can tell, at least on mine.
Last edited by ostketten on Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ltcbj

oh oh ostketten

Post by ltcbj » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:43 pm

Well, that does make a difference, doesn't it. I glued mine on as well. How did the Germans ever get around this problem in the war? Perhaps we can trace the reason that they lost the war to the fact that their "workhorse of the panzertruppe" couldn't turn its head, so to speak? That would be a novel theory...

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:04 am

I glued mine on as well.
I guess I should have been more clear on this... I didn't glue anything, that's the way it came right out of the box, I had pondered trying to "fix" the thing but decided it was more trouble than it was worth, and I could potentially make a mess of things, so I decided to leave it "as is". Besides, it seems clear from this discussion that some of these Pz IV's will allow at least partial turret rotation, and if any more show up at my local WM I will have to pick one up just to see.

ltcbj

They're not

Post by ltcbj » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:33 am

They're not supposed to come glued on. They are supposed to be removable.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:59 am

They're not supposed to come glued on. They are supposed to be removable.
Yes and No... I guess I need to clarify this further...you see, the skirt brackets where they contact the hull and turret top are not glued and can be removed, but where the brackets insert in to the side skirts and turret skirts they are most definitely GLUED, and CANNOT be removed, at least not without breaking something. I assume this was done at the factory, and is not unique to my particular specimen. The net result of this is that the skirts can't be positioned up or down to adjust the clearance between the side skirts and the turret skirts, and that's where the problem with limited turret rotation becomes an issue on mine.

ltcbj

oh, well, that's different, never mind

Post by ltcbj » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:18 am

Never mind.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:29 pm

The turret skirts on the 32x Panzer IVH should be able to be removed. There might be some glue, but the skirts can be removed without breaking anything. I was able to do that with my Panzer IVH, but I put them back on as I liked the look.

The clearance between turret skirts and the side skirts is a problem, but the 32x tank was unfortunantly designed the way it is, thus making the turret rotation difficult, but not impossible.

IMHO, the current 32x Panzer IVH looks much better with the skirts than the plain gray 32x Panzer IVD and the current also sports a far better paintscheme than the red "tiger striped" origional :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:57 pm

The turret skirts on the 32x Panzer IVH should be able to be removed.
The skirts can be removed from the turret, no problem there, but the brackets that are attached to the turret skirts are a different story, those are glued on, just like the side skirts, at least that's how it is on mine. It's too bad they could not have made these with a bit more clearance, the problem seems to be fairly widespread :cry: