WWII G.I's

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
SSGSteve
Private First Class
Private First Class

WWII G.I's

Post by SSGSteve » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:35 am

OK, besides Conte and TSSD, who produces a decent WWII GI? And when is the new line of GI's due out from Conte?
Anyone......Anyone.....Bueler.....Bueler....
Integrity is doing what is right, even when no one is watching.

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:32 am

Hmmmm...... well, for the money I think the 1/35th Dragon "can do" pocket army figures are superbly detailed, just my opinion though, and your mileage may vary. Cheers,

Scott

digger

yup

Post by digger » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:44 am

The Cando guys are great but I don't think they make GIs (do they?)...further evidence that German stuff is far and away the most popular subject among WWII collectibles..

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:17 am

Right you are Digger, my mistake.

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:24 am

Corgi's got a great looking new line of painted metal figures.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:36 am

For my money, it's hard to beat King & Country painted 54mm figures. A little expensive at $20 a figure on average but you get what you pay for.

smh_1021
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by smh_1021 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:59 am

Tamiya Masterwork Collection produces 1/35th scale
American (GI) infantry and German infantry - there are
currently five (5) different figures in both the German
and American product line, in addition to ....

- German Wehrmacht mounted on horse with another German soldier
- two (2) different German infantry on bicycles
- U.S. and German 'jerry' cans and oli-drums
- sandbags and brick walls

All are 1/35th scale and pre-painted - I have a few sets of each
to use when displaying 1/35th scale models, etc.

Hope that helps.

jrs
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jrs » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:30 pm

You and this post make a great point! ( pay attention 21st century) Fact is nobody does! TSSD 8 poses, need to be painted and are on the large side of 1:32! King and Country 60mm way over priced for a toy! Britians and ONWTC make great stuff but agin to costly!

Fact is the industry is ripe for one company to make figures and simply dominate. Dragoons 1:35th quality in a true 1:32nd scale would be great!

As a matter a fact if a company were to make a concerted effort to dominte here it would be easy, all the current players are niche, not enough poses, too costly, various scales, un painted, pre painted, metal plastic etc.

So if you can paint Marx, TSSD, and Conte. Pre painted Conte who knows could be a year could be next week? Painted metal too much money? You could go 1:35th and build and paint, or go Arifix multi pose! Good luck!

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Wieslaw » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:56 pm

Did you read? Conte announces the painted plastic GIs :D http://www.conteco.com/

Wieslaw
For our freedom and yours

jrs
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jrs » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:20 pm

Wieslaw wrote:Did you read? Conte announces the painted plastic GIs :D http://www.conteco.com/

Wieslaw

Announced yes! Shiped? Ready to ship? taking orders? no, no, and no! Sometimes Conte can take a while, Allamo Mexicans were announced three years ago, they arrived a few months ago?

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:40 am

The poses in the upcoming Omaha beach playset are fantastic. It would be great if they put a few of those in smaller sets. Not to toot my own horn, but I have painted some of their unpainted plastic Germans that look just as good as their painted metal Germans. Speaking only for my self, I'd rather pay $20 for a set of 12 unpainted and paint them than pay $360 for the same 12 painted metal figures. If you can afford them, it certainly does save a lot of time.

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Wieslaw » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:36 am

hotrodrock wrote:Speaking only for my self, I'd rather pay $20 for a set of 12 unpainted and paint them than pay $360 for the same 12 painted metal figures. If you can afford them, it certainly does save a lot of time.
I thought over this: if I were a r e a l l y rich man, I would rather buy the painted metal figures. If I had a lot of time, I would like rather to paint the plastic figures (and to build the plastic models, too). But the very rich (and very poor) men use to have more time than the others... :wink: It's (un-)fortunately not my problem. So, the painted plastic figures were for me the best! I bought lately some Conte unpainted plastic WW II figures of Conte (thanks, Tom C.!). They are very good, I hope I find time to paint them.

By the way, the plastic they were made from is not the same as in the old, e. g. Airfix, figures. Could anybody of you tell me, what type of paints will be the best in this case?

Thanks
Wieslaw
For our freedom and yours

jrs
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jrs » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:57 pm

You need to wash them first and then use a duplco spray primer. This will ensure your paint sticks and does not crack! Its like a spray glue. TSSD has the instructions on their site! The soft plastic lends itself well to modifications of figures, cheek treefrog for examples.

Contes GIs are supposed to come in painted plastic soon? When is the question, the waffen ss sets have been on back order for about a year now?

In any even I still think the market is ripe for 1:32 scaled pre painted 21st style or dragoon style figures. If done correctly they would rule. They would eliminate the un painted market by being better, whcih in itself is pretty big, Arifix, Marx, Ideal, etc. TSSD and Conte. If done very well they would compete with or end the more costly metal figures and if done really well say like Mcfarlane figures could easily end the market for the likes of King and country and the high end suppliers on quality detail and most important of all price!

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:07 pm

jrs wrote: In any even I still think the market is ripe for 1:32 scaled pre painted 21st style or dragoon style figures. If done correctly they would rule. They would eliminate the un painted market by being better, whcih in itself is pretty big, Arifix, Marx, Ideal, etc. TSSD and Conte. If done very well they would compete with or end the more costly metal figures and if done really well say like Mcfarlane figures could easily end the market for the likes of King and country and the high end suppliers on quality detail and most important of all price!
Price isn't everything. I could care less what I spend on my personal favorite manufacturers figures and know many, many others that don't care either. I also know many that the price is important, the point being there's plenty of people that think either way so the price wouldn't be the deciding factor for many.

The only thing that would steer me is better quality. Say the 1/35 plastic model figures from Dragon Models all painted up and ready to go. I then would consider dumping the thousands I have in King & Country and starting a new collection.

jrs
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jrs » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:39 pm

Of course ! I wholly agree. The quality is the deciding factor, now that being said if that quality can be matched that would win customers, if that quality can be matched at a quarter the cost! Then you have a winner! I may be the minority here but I do care what I spend, its a huge factor in what I buy.

While there may be many who would like to continue to collect their King and Country it would be hard to attract customers when your competiton puts out more products at the same quality level and at a quarter the price. Thing here is I am just dreaming!

Have you seen the Mcfarlanes sculpts? $13.00 a figure but IMHO the best sculpts weathering around and in a plastic figure! I could see something similar in say the 1:32nd scale and a 1:18 scale, get em out there and at the right price it would be a market winner in my opinion.

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by corpbob » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:21 pm

McFarlanes' figures are a work of art, I already have six and intend to get more. Oh but if they'd branch into WW II!!!!!

For 1/32 scale, I'll take any company who can 1. Paint G.I.s with at least semi-historical colors (are you listening 21st and FOV?) 2. Utilize realistic poses instead of the standard Granade Throw and Rifle Kneel and 3. Make figures that don't look like Popeye

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

GIs...

Post by binder001 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:04 pm

There are quite a number of GIs in 1/32nd in varying quality...

There's 21C, Airfix soft plastic, Airfix Multipose (and the Multipose "marines" are actually closer to Army summer uniforms), and some of the Matchbox GIs weren't too bad. Soldiers of steel fit well with the previous brands also. These are all close enough to interchange parts for many customs. Marx GIs area little larger, but can be used and kitbashed with the above. Conte, TSSD and ONTC are "large 54mm" so their parts interchange with each other, but not with the "regular" 54mm figures. Most of the FoV figure sets are trash, lousy anatomy and funny scale. The new "tank rider" GIs and some of the jeep divers are actually pretty good. In unpainted metal, there are a number of figures by Valiant and Imrie-Risely had a large selection of Normandy partroopers.

For painted stuff you can buy the prepainted, learn to paint your own, or find custom painters. I do enjoy painting GIs, but I am not fast or cheap.

Gary

Jagdplastic
Sergeant
Sergeant

RE: WWII G.I.s

Post by Jagdplastic » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:57 pm

If I may take the thread on a slightly different topic... Does anyone have any of the new Corgi six-figure 1/50 scale sets? If so, would they please give a review?

Hoverbug
Corporal
Corporal

Re: RE: WWII G.I.s

Post by Hoverbug » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:22 am

Jagdplastic wrote:If I may take the thread on a slightly different topic... Does anyone have any of the new Corgi six-figure 1/50 scale sets? If so, would they please give a review?
Very nicely done! Good painting and detailing. Poses are nice, though fairly standard firing and running poses. Prone figures, wounded, heavy weapons, etc., would really light the fire under this line (along with some new vehicle molds). These are detailed enough not to induce eye strain like 1/72 and feel a bit more manageable for dioramas when positioned on a table unlike 1/32. I picked up 5 boxes of each and don't regret it at all. :shock: