TRU's latest FOV offerings...what's out there...?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

TRU's latest FOV offerings...what's out there...?

Post by c44 » Sun May 14, 2006 12:15 am

I just picked up a Battle of Italy Sherman, a Hanomag, & a weathered Hummer at TRU...although the box says action series, the Hanomag is heavily weathered and has a nice selection of accessories plus 4 figs...the Sherman has a wire antenna (as opposed to the cheesy-looking plastic mouse tail antenna of prior the action series M4s), and the accessories included with all the vehicles don't suffer so much from weapon barrel droop & general mis-shapening...a good job by FOV at improving QC...has any one seen other vehicles (finally!) showing up at TRU, or heard of what's coming down the pike...I hope the drought is over... :)
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

fov

Post by digger » Sun May 14, 2006 12:39 am

I saw a ton of FOV vehicles - including some you mentioned - at TRU about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't sure if they were new so I did not mention them. The FOV stock was impressive, as was the DTC Joe stock. Needless to say I did not see new modern figs, which is what I was there for..

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun May 14, 2006 7:05 am

I picked up two FOV 1/32 die cast aircraft in the "Action Series" at a local TRU yesterday, a P-51D Mustang 486th FS Germany 1944, and a Spitfire Mk IX, No. 132 wing, Netherlands 1945. IMO, both are simply superb examples of how far we've come in terms of detail and quality in a pre-made model, especially when you consider they cost under $30 apiece. Sometime I'd like to do a head to head comparison of FOV and 21C 1/32 scale airplanes, because based on what I see in these models, I think 21C could take a lesson or two from FOV in certain areas. For example, both the Spitfire and P-51D have removeable cowlings with exquisitely detailed engine compartments, beautifully detailed cockpit interiors, moveable control surfaces, superbly detailed pilot figures, both standing and sitting in the cockpit, and extensive ordnance loads, plus a nice little clear lexan base with info placard to sit the AC on for a sort of "in flight" pose, plus all the standard features found on 21C planes like retracting gear and cockpits that open, and spinning props etc. All in all, I think these FOV aircraft represent a terrific value for the money, but on the other hand the area where 21C would seem to have a clear advantage is selection, there are currently just seven models offered in the "Action Series", 2 German, 2 American, and 3 British, at least that is what is printed on the boxes. I hope you guys enjoy the pics.
Last edited by ostketten on Mon May 15, 2006 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

digger

Post by digger » Sun May 14, 2006 7:40 am

I agree the FOV planes have come a long way. I also think if 1/32 planes could have engine access than we are due in 1/18. :D

But, the FOV planes do cost twice as much as the 21C. In 1/18 it would be like a 109 costing $80 or a P-38 costing $120 right off the shelve. Still well worth it in my opinion but surely a consideration.

I'll say again that it is an awesome time to collect 1/32. It used to be all the armor you wanted in 1/18 was in 1/32, but now it seems the AC too! :shock:

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Sun May 14, 2006 11:04 am

More pics please!
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun May 14, 2006 1:22 pm

More pics please!
Ask, and ye shall receive. 8) I liked the first Spitfire so much that I went back an bought a second one, No. 134 wing Normandy 1944, and I think it was money well spent, it is really a sharp scheme IMO. Also picked up an 1/32 M1036 TOW Humvee Kuwait 1991, as well as some of the BBI 1/18th Spec. ops. figures that everyone seems to be looking for these days. There were plenty of modern Marines and paratroopers as well, but I didn't buy any. Hope you enjoy the pic. Ciao,

Scott

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Action & Enthusiasm...yeah!

Post by c44 » Wed May 17, 2006 1:29 pm

Hmmm...I just picked up the Action Series woodland camo Iraqi Freedom Abrams, and again the most notable thing about this release is the weathering & amount of accessories...it seems the difference between the Action and Enthusiast series has significantly narrowed...
C44

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed May 17, 2006 3:16 pm

I have seen the Hummers, the Hannomag (which was practically the same as the Enthusiast grade for all intents & purposes) as well as the British Sherman at TRU. The planes as well.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

GIToys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by GIToys » Wed May 17, 2006 3:38 pm

I bought the Hanomag must for the awesome figs. I wish FOV would discontinue their horrible figure line and start selling figs of the quality that have been appearing in the vehicle sets.
--Mike, gitoys

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Awesome figs other than desperate housewives...

Post by c44 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:45 pm

Re: awesome figs...Amen! The figures that come with the vehicles are so significantly superior to the figure line I wonder if it's a different sculptor who created them...nevertheless, I'll give FOV some props --- the figure line has improved since the early series, which was mediocre because of the bloated hands and the near-goofy WWII helmets...but if nothing else the poses were cool (I use to fall asleep in art class, but maybe the word for them is dynamic...or something like that!), and if FOV brought the same quality they achieved with the Soldiers of Steel line to affordable plastic, they'd have a real winner...FOV, hear our plea...!
C44

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed May 17, 2006 10:21 pm

There is one series (at least in my opinion) of FOV figures that got the proportions pretty much right; that is the US Army 3rd Infantry figure set.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Ziegler2112
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Action & Enthusiasm...yeah!

Post by Ziegler2112 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:24 am

c44 wrote:Hmmm...I just picked up the Action Series woodland camo Iraqi Freedom Abrams, and again the most notable thing about this release is the weathering & amount of accessories...it seems the difference between the Action and Enthusiast series has significantly narrowed...
Actually there's no such thing as an Action grade woodland camo Abrams. Unimax has been packaging Enthusiast Edition vehicles in action series boxes for some reason. There are several Target stores in my area and I have come across this numerous times. I take full advantage of the situation.
Last edited by Ziegler2112 on Thu May 18, 2006 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Thu May 18, 2006 12:55 pm

I think you mean Enthusiast Edition in Action grade boxes. I would imagine there would be a little bit of an outrage the other way around.
All this talk and I have yet to get to a TRU. Wonder how Maryland is doing.....maybe I'll check some out tonight and post back.

-H

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu May 18, 2006 2:48 pm

Wonder how Maryland is doing.....maybe I'll check some out tonight and post back.
Hanomag, for what it's worth I got the stuff in the pics at the Gaithersburg and Frederick TRU's respectively. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Cheers,

Scott

Ziegler2112
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ziegler2112 » Thu May 18, 2006 2:52 pm

Hanomag wrote:I think you mean Enthusiast Edition in Action grade boxes.
Yes, that's what I meant to say. :oops:

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Thu May 18, 2006 4:53 pm

For those of you that saw/bought the Hanomag...which one? The White on or the Tan one? I still need the Tan one.

The TRU in Columbia MD had both Abrams and the Tan Bradley. They all looked to be of the Enthusi-action-ist grade, if you get me.

My job sends me all over the state so I'll poke around here and there and see whats up.

Hey Ostketten, you ever been to the Hobby Town in Frederick? They have a large offering of FoV for good prices...in fact if you count shipping, I'd say they are on par with Online stores. Which reminds me, are you going to the WWII Air show in Reading PA? It's the 2nd thru 4th of June. I went last year and it was great. The line up this year looks to be better still. They had ALOT of vendors there with FoV and 21st C.

For anyone interested heres the link

http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

-H

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu May 18, 2006 7:59 pm

Hey Ostketten, you ever been to the Hobby Town in Frederick? They have a large offering of FoV for good prices
Yeah Hanomag, been there many times, they have all kinds of good stuff. I recently picked up an FOV T-34-85 in winter camo and a woodland camo M60A1 with ERA, and you're right HT Frederick has good prices on the FOV stuff. Thanks for the heads up on the Reading show, I might just make the trip.

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by c44 » Thu May 18, 2006 10:13 pm

Re: which Hanomag at TRU: I picked up the only version they had, the tan Normandy SS one with 214 painted on the side...I hope to grab more vehicles, but the only newer stuff I saw is what I reported on previously (Abrams, weathered tan hummer, & the Italian campaign Sherman) mixed in with a whole lot of winter camo US 1/2 tracks & woodland camo hummers...
C44

daverose1
Corporal
Corporal

TRU and SS 251/1

Post by daverose1 » Fri May 19, 2006 6:44 am

Doesnt TRU have a "NO Panzers Here" Policy? Will we be seeing other German stuff there in the future?

David

Hanomag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hanomag » Sat May 20, 2006 3:58 am

I was thinking that as well. I know 21st C went through some trouble with selling German (ie: Enemy) stuff.

c44: There is a white one...I just didn't know if that was the one at TRU or the tan one. Thanks for the info.

ostketten: That's too funny, I saw that tank (the T 34/85) and went back two days later and it was gone. Which was ok...as I have it already. I bought the Panzer IV G (white). Think they'll ever sell the 400 Jeeps they have?

On a side note...I bought a puppy a few weeks back...his name is Panzer. It's wierd yelling that outside. And I have to alot. :(

-H