New Millennium 1/144 tanks

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
soxpicks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by soxpicks » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:38 am

Hi BD99,

I don't know if you are familiar with KayBee Toys, but they are a regional toy store (like a small Toys R Us). They are not a hobby shop. So, yes, they are the manufacture's repaints. :D :D

The COED model was also done in 1/32 scale by 21st Century Toys, so it appears that they are scaling down their own repaints. :shock:

I did not buy any of the German tanks in the original paint scheme, so I cannot compare the differences. However, I believe the German armor in the orginal release were basically 1 color scheme. This new release definately had at least 1 of those tanks in a camo scheme.

Hey BD, I just realized that you are in the UK, so I guess you would not know what kind of store KayBee is :oops: :lol: :oops:
Last edited by soxpicks on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ltcbj
Officer - Brigadier General

You can always

Post by ltcbj » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:41 am

repaint these yourself. I have repainted several including Can Do and WTM-Takara with results as good as I can paint. I use acrylics. They don't wash out the detail and I have Can Do PzIV-Ds and PzIII-Gs & Fs in desert camo. Winter whitewash is a bit more difficult to get right, but the Germans found that true with the real ones, didn't they? The small tools, etc. are hard to do with a shaky hand and comparatively wide brush though....
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

soxpicks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by soxpicks » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:33 am

Well I just got back from Kaybee again, so here is the deal on the German tanks....

The Panzer is tan with a darker shade airbrushed on the skirts.

The Panther, Tiger, & KingTiger all have a 3 color camo (tan, brown & green). 2 of these also sported small tan dots as part of the camo.

I know there are proper names for these paint schemes, but I just don't know enough about the German armor :oops: :wink:

ltcbj

The dots

Post by ltcbj » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:27 am

The dots should be both light and dark, representing the dappling of light through foliage and that particular scheme is called 'ambush'. The tan should really be a dark yellow and was the base color for German armor after 1942. The green and brown are dark green and dark red and acted as the 'mottling' colors on the dark yellow base. Sometimes singly, sometimes in tandem.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

soxpicks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: The dots

Post by soxpicks » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:28 pm

ltcbj wrote:The dots should be both light and dark, representing the dappling of light through foliage and that particular scheme is called 'ambush'. The tan should really be a dark yellow and was the base color for German armor after 1942. The green and brown are dark green and dark red and acted as the 'mottling' colors on the dark yellow base. Sometimes singly, sometimes in tandem.
Thanks, Itcbj. The colors you gave are more accurate than my description.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:33 am

bluedonkey99 wrote:soxpicks

let me get this right, these "repaints" are "official" new millenium issues not something someone at the model shop has repainted?

If they are officials then thats great, did they have any repaints of the german armour pieces?

thanks
BD99

If you take into account that the COED scheme is the 21st Century 1/18 USMC Sherman scheme, I think these can be safely regarded as "official." :wink:
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields