Vintage 1/32 Scale Monogram Jagdpanzer IV L/70 Rebuild

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Vintage 1/32 Scale Monogram Jagdpanzer IV L/70 Rebuild

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:49 pm

We need some more activity in the 1/32 scale forum!

Anyways, I thought I’d share some pictures of a recent project where I repainted a vintage Monogram Panzerjaeger IV (Jagdpanzer IV) kit. I purchased the kit as a built model a couple years ago, but never warmed up to the builder’s original paint job. The Monogram Jagdpanzer IV is one of the only proper 1/32 scale models of this vehicle out there and hasn’t seen any new rereleases since the 1970s. I repainted the model with a more accurate scheme for an early-model Jagdpanzer IV L/70 V. It does not represent any particular vehicle From any particular unit and is more a generalized representation. Tamiya paints and weathering powders as well as Ammo Mig washes were used. I did keep some of the original builder’s work, particularly the paint/weathering on the wheels and tracks, which I liked. Below are pics of my finished results along with a couple photos of how the model looked when I bought it.

Enjoy 8)

How the model looked as originally purchased:

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Vintage 1/32 Scale Monogram Jagdpanzer IV L/70 Rebuild

Post by c44 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:56 pm

Well done, tman, the original definitely got a nice makeover...

...just goes to show that Monogram models, although dated, aren't unworkable (you might remember they were certainly better than the Airfix 1/32 models from the same time period whose parts often had an atrocious fit)...I was disappointed back then when the 1/32 line of armor dried up almost as fast as it appeared...I got a couple of the re-issues lying around (a Greyhound and some German stuff) that one of these days I'll put together...

Now a trivia question that I don't have the answer to: when the kit came out there was criticism in a modelling magazine---this was the pre-internet days, if anybody can remember back that far :)--- that with the long barrel option (you had a choice of a long or short one to use) the wheels should be different...but I don't remember how...maybe in how many, or a maybe a different idler wheel? Any experts out there that can clarify?
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:05 am

Thanks C44!

I’m not familiar with the article you’re referencing, however, I have heard that the vintage Monogram Jagdpanzer IV kit came with the options to make either the short-barrel L/48 version or the long-barrel L/70 version.

Historically, the Jagdpanzer IV L/48 series, which was in production from January to August 1944, retained the rubber-rimmed road wheels and four return rollers found on the standard Panzer IV chassis. When the gun was upgraded August 1944, the Jagdpanzer IV L/70 Initially retained the same chassis configuration through August 1944, but It was found that the heavier gun caused the rubber rims of the front road wheels to wear out faster. Thus, after September 1944, the first 2-4 road wheels on each side were replaced with steel-rimmed wheels. Further modifications to the Jagdpanzer IV L/70 after September 1944 included a reduction in the number of return rollers on each side from 4 to 3 and addition of the dual tubular flame-suppressing exhaust stacks. Also the zimerit paste was no longer applied after September 1944.

The Monogram kit can thus be used to make an accurate Jagdpanzer IV L/48 or an early (August 1944 production) L/70 version 8)

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

The wheels on the panzer go round, round, round...

Post by c44 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:53 pm

10 out of 10 plus a bonus point for the answer to that quiz, tman, I didn't realize the history behind that aspect of the design was so complicated! The guy in charge of the production line must have been driven nuts ... :)
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:49 am

Nice job Tman looks much better than the original!
I remember building a Monogram Jagdpanzer around '74-'75 :shock: and loved the diorama sheet
that came with it. It was the work of Shep Paine. http://sheperdpaine.atspace.com/panzerjager.htm

I built most of Tamiya's 1:35 armor series and then found Monogram. Didn't know much
about scale back then but the two different sizes pissed me off, much as it does now with
1:18 and 1:16. :P

Its always great to see your work.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:15 am

Thanks Normandy! I was born a few years after those vintage Monogram kits were released and after I got into model building around 1988, I built mostly aircraft for years before getting more into armor over the last decade or so. I like 1/32 scale of those vintage kits as it goes with all my 21st and FOV vehicles and aircraft - yet there is obviously a ton more variety in 1/35 scale... I would be curious to know what 21st’s decision process was years ago when they decided to make armor in 1/32 as opposed to 1/35...